Journalism and sexism in the games industry

Gorth

Well instead of shouting into the wind hoping that some homogenous blob called Feminism™ will give you the single "correct" feminist answer you actually go out and investigate.

Interesting that if you make this argument for #GamerGate you're enabling a hate group and being a useful idiot. :lol:

I am critiquing the parts of feminism I know

And evidently that is very little. If I recall correctly you were unaware of basic pop-culture knowledge like the differences between second-wave and third wave feminsm, "sex-positive" and "sex-negative" feminism and so on.

How can you expect to critque something if you refuse to investigate it.

Likewise, again with your same logic, one is not allowed to question the existence of God until one has read the entirety of the Bible from start to finish as you can claim "all the answers are there, your willful ignorance is not God's fault."

Amusingly, I went to a Christian school and thought everything I was being told sounded like a load of hogwash so I made an effort to sit down and read the Bible cover to cover and then used the knowledge I gained from that back at the people who complained about "my lack of faith".

That said, I would disagree this is comparable. The Bible is not an intellectual treatise with the purpose of "proving god exists". Perhaps a better example would be dismissing all of Christian theology without having engaged with it in any capacity.

You can say the same with Neo-Nazis and their works alongside Mein Kampf.

I would advise people read Mein Kampf before critiquing Mein Kampf.

Sell it in a way anyone can understand, highlight important parts. Put it in layman's terms.

Are you under the impression feminist works are locked away somewhere only to be read by some secret feminist elite or written in some vaginal ooze only legible to women?

The works are out there, you just refuse to engage with them.

Interesting that if you make this argument for #GamerGate you're enabling a hate group and being a useful idiot. laughing.gif

The tendency to unthinkingly follow the party line so you can earn internet cred is common to both the "SJW" and "anti-SJW" camps. Edited by Barothmuk
  • Like 2

gamergate_life_10_by_kukuruyoart-d8awkox
  • Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Two rather telling info graphs about wikipedias GamerGate article:

http://i.imgur.com/EoVIAXy.png

https://imgur.com/SyPBiIY

Here's a third.

http://i.imgur.com/R3OFCej.png

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

Why would you even think about this BS at Christmas?

• Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

https://twitter.com/Alison_prime/status/548175780057186304

I'd advise not following that if you're particularly sensitive, it's pretty ****ed up. But remember, telling a woman you're glad their father is dead so he wouldn't have to see what a **** his daughter became is all about fighting misogyny.

http://i.imgur.com/96Fw7x6.png

More esteemed civility.

Why would you even think about this BS at Christmas?

I'm an Atheist who doesn't bother with Christmas. Besides, I have to do something when downloading the haul I got from Steam.

• Like 1

Likewise, again with your same logic, one is not allowed to question the existence of God until one has read the entirety of the Bible from start to finish as you can claim "all the answers are there, your willful ignorance is not God's fault."

Amusingly, I went to a Christian school and thought everything I was being told sounded like a load of hogwash so I made an effort to sit down and read the Bible cover to cover and then used the knowledge I gained from that back at the people who complained about "my lack of faith".

This is similar to my experience actually. 

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

First time checking Twitter in a while. TotalBiscuit gets harassed for out of context claim that, when out of context, looks to imply that games made in Twine take no talent.

#GamerGate promptly mass retweets an old Leigh Alexander tweet where she actually said that Twine games take no talent, people defend her and continue to harass TB.

WTF is going on with this world?

First time checking Twitter in a while. TotalBiscuit gets harassed for out of context claim that, when out of context, looks to imply that games made in Twine take no talent.

#GamerGate promptly mass retweets an old Leigh Alexander tweet where she actually said that Twine games take no talent, people defend her and continue to harass TB.

WTF is going on with this world?

Doublethink.

• Like 2

Interesting that if you make this argument for #GamerGate you're enabling a hate group and being a useful idiot. laughing.gif

The tendency to unthinkingly follow the party line so you can earn internet cred is common to both the "SJW" and "anti-SJW" camps.

I agree with this. The Target situation with GTA 5 made it clear to me that there certainly is a bit of party line following within gamergate. All Target did was act like a business. It's completely normal for a business not to offer a product if enough people complain about said product.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Hail, fellow ****lords!  I have returned from the family holiday gathering and am ready to return to the tireless task of oppressing teh wimminz and keeping them out of our gaming boys club (except the ones that will show us their bewbs, those are welcome).  Did I miss anything interesting while I was away?

Also, there is the matter of planning our annual year-end neckbeard shindig.  As is customary, we'll all be chipping in that 27 cents on the dollar extra we earn to fund the event.  Let's toss around some suggestions as to the events this year.  I suggest we run a 24 hour marathon of Bayonetta 2 and killing hookers in GTA V, live streamed, naturally.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Hail, fellow ****lords!  I have returned from the family holiday gathering and am ready to return to the tireless task of oppressing teh wimminz and keeping them out of our gaming boys club (except the ones that will show us their bewbs, those are welcome).  Did I miss anything interesting while I was away?

Welcome back, Misogolord.

Were you around for the CP drama? Other than that it's been pretty slow, probably cuz of Christmas.

Also, there is the matter of planning our annual year-end neckbeard shindig.  As is customary, we'll all be chipping in that 27 cents on the dollar extra we earn to fund the event.  Let's toss around some suggestions as to the events this year.  I suggest we run a 24 hour marathon of Bayonetta 2 and killing hookers in GTA V, live streamed, naturally.

This year we're using misogyny fueled time machines to destroy feminist opposition before it an happen, so our glorious patriarchy may rule unhindered. Glory to the High Patriarch!

The tendency to unthinkingly follow the party line so you can earn internet cred is common to both the "SJW" and "anti-SJW" camps.

I agree with this. The Target situation with GTA 5 made it clear to me that there certainly is a bit of party line following within gamergate. All Target did was act like a business. It's completely normal for a business not to offer a product if enough people complain about said product.

Wrong, Target AU bowed to the whims of a group with a message that is really no different than OneMillionMoms.com that will only lead to more self-censorship from game developers and higher prices for consumers.  Thanks for playing, though.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/6-inspiring-women-in-2014/article/2557807#.VJ741yxhoZU.twitter

Washington Examiner posted a list of 6 most inspiring women in 2014 and Christina H. Sommers has made the cut, with her speaking out pro-#GamerGate being mentioned as a positive.

The “factual feminist” was on point this year, debunking statistics surrounding campus sexual assault and the gender wage gap. It was her research that personally inspired me to look critically at every study and every claim that seemed too astounding to be true — and even to question statistics that my own bias led me to believe were true.

Her greatest cause this year was #GamerGate, and she became a hero in the movement to prevent gaming ideas from being censored by the feminist community.

She speaks with authority and poise, never sounding like she’s angry or lecturing — a persona many have yet to master.

I don't know the Washington Examiner, so I don't know if it's any good, but it looks like #GamerGate's rep is improving somewhat lately.

EDIT: Found this an interesting read: http://thewordonthe.net/12/2014/a-neutral-mansplains-gamergate-social-justice-and-radical-feminism/

The title, A Neutral Mansplains #GamerGate, Social Justice and Radical Feminism, is pretty misleading as halfway through he professes to be sympathetic to the #GamerGate side, but this guy is still very on point when it comes to examining how and why #GamerGate happened. It's also huge.

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 1

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/6-inspiring-women-in-2014/article/2557807#.VJ741yxhoZU.twitter

Washington Examiner posted a list of 6 most inspiring women in 2014 and Christina H. Sommers has made the cut, with her speaking out pro-#GamerGate being mentioned as a positive.

Not GG related, but Malala Yousafzai is a badass.

• Like 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

And evidently that is very little. If I recall correctly you were unaware of basic pop-culture knowledge like the differences between second-wave and third wave feminsm, "sex-positive" and "sex-negative" feminism and so on.

How can you expect to critque something if you refuse to investigate it.

That exact post was me ASKING for info, so that I could understand it and better look into it. I now know the answer to that, but quite frankly as I recall part of my criticism then was "all feminists prefer to call themselves feminists and not their specific subset and this causes confusion and reflects POORLY on the movement as a whole," and I still stand by that, because that's STILL exactly what it does. I see no purpose in someone like Sommers clinging to the title as "feminism" is quickly adapting a negative connotation, and all she's doing is slowing herself down in that some people may hear she's a feminist and not hear her out because of it. She could alternatively adopt a new title entirely, let feminism burn and get much more serious treatment from everyone.

I would advise people read Mein Kampf before critiquing Mein Kampf.

Just for clarity, my post had the point of "you are basically arguing you cannot criticize Neo-Nazis until you read their various works and books they hold dear, including Mein Kampf."

Are you under the impression feminist works are locked away somewhere only to be read by some secret feminist elite or written in some vaginal ooze only legible to women?

The works are out there, you just refuse to engage with them.

No, I'm saying that the argument of "you need to educate yourself more" is a fallacy in and of itself because it is very easy to ALWAYS claim someone has not educated themselves enough. I can never, ever ever prove that I have read every meaningful piece of literature on a subject matter because someone can always claim there's another work or opinion out there somewhere.

If you truly wish to make that criticism, it is YOUR responsibility to tell me what I'm ignorant of and teach me. You do not get to say "nope ur ignorant, shutup" and then not answer the question of "how am I ignorant?"

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Indeed. She's absolutely right in everything she says ("they shoot me because they're scared of me") and sadly, if anyone is truly doing work for women, it's her. No contest, it's her. But many people don't even know her name...

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Alright, back from the holidays, spent playing D:OS, eating ham and enjoying the company of my extended family. For now, i will endulge you guys with some nice tweets.

Gamasutra didn't even like gamers before gamergate:

kbMTKuC.jpg

The only way to confront con-artists enjoying the support of the "intelligentia" is to simply mock them:

QFcVbQq.jpg

Orwell's warnings are still in the highlight:

ElrdiKb.jpg

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Alright, back from the holidays, spent playing D:OS, eating ham and enjoying the company of my extended family. For now, i will endulge you guys with some nice tweets.

Gamasutra didn't even like gamers before gamergate:

kbMTKuC.jpg

The only way to confront con-artists enjoying the support of the "intelligentia" is to simply mock them:

QFcVbQq.jpg

Orwell's warnings are still in the highlight:

ElrdiKb.jpg

Isn't Dan Olson the guy who downloaded CP instead of reporting it to 8chan mods or the authorities?

It is? I had no idea.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

on another note, one more from that list

“What we are now doing with the victory, and I agree with you if you condemn that and I condemn whole-heartedly the trivial bull**** it is to go after a man who makes a scientific breakthrough and all that we as women — organized women — do is to fret about his shirt?” Hirsi Ali said, referring to the controversy generated by the shirt featuring cartoons of scantily-clad women worn by the scientist who helped land a robot on a comet. “We must reclaim and retake feminism from our fellow idiotic women.”

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2014/12/gamergate-wikipedias-factual-inaccuracies-of-gamergate/

EDIT: http://www.plasticbrickautomaton.com/?id=101

Takes the piss out of postmodernism quite well.

Edited by KaineParker