Journalism and sexism in the games industry

Gorth

http://gamepolitics.com/2014/12/29/editorial-gamergate-political-attitudes-part-1-movement-right-wing#.VKGTpAAFA

For being a hive of right-wingers, KiA seems to be oddly dominated by left leaning people.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

This is unbearably sad....

Having a discussion with some Gamerghazi people. Here: http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2qpfuj/gamerghazi_and_the_losing_battle_they_fight_as/

I'm AFlyingNun. I should be the top comment to the top comment (aka the second comment I guess? Freaking reddit layout). Just go down the list of replies to my comment and read. Be sure to open anything condensed by a [+] cause those are actually the convos I'm talking about. I -THINK- the Ghazis must be getting downvoted but dunno cause their scores don't show.

But yeah I just feel like I'm talking to a brick wall. Two have not responded to points I made and disappeared after I made them, another one is basically just calling me scum for no apparent reason.

And in case anyone gets lost, here: http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2qpfuj/gamerghazi_and_the_losing_battle_they_fight_as/cn8d6bk

Read the comment chain with AgaGalneer for the person just calling me scum.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Having a discussion with some Gamerghazi people. Here: http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2qpfuj/gamerghazi_and_the_losing_battle_they_fight_as/

I'm AFlyingNun. I should be the top comment to the top comment (aka the second comment I guess? Freaking reddit layout). Just go down the list of replies to my comment and read. Be sure to open anything condensed by a [+] cause those are actually the convos I'm talking about. I -THINK- the Ghazis must be getting downvoted but dunno cause their scores don't show.

But yeah I just feel like I'm talking to a brick wall. Two have not responded to points I made and disappeared after I made them, another one is basically just calling me scum for no apparent reason.

You are taking to a brick wall dude. Remember, Ghazi's sole purpose is to sling poop, talking to them just gets you dirty.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

You are taking to a brick wall dude. Remember, Ghazi's sole purpose is to sling poop, talking to them just gets you dirty.

I would be lying if I said I didn't agree to an extent, but I also believe that if we don't TRY every so often, then we both cannot expect **** to change and we'd become just as guilty of being brick walls. I also like to think that sometimes these people may not see what I'm saying immediately, but maybe in a year's time they'll remember a comment I made and it'll help them come to terms with something faster.

Lastly, I consider people who may read from the sidelines. If I make an honest effort to communicate and discuss things civilly and I get called scum for it...well, guess who walks away with a better reputation.

But yeah the AgaGalneer person in particular is just an awful stereotype of what GamerGhazi is. It's both sickening and saddening to see a person like that actually exists.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

For being a hive of right-wingers, KiA seems to be oddly dominated by left leaning people.

I'll be quite interested to read the second part of that article, to see if it comes to the same general conclusion I have. While I don't really like the Cultural Marxism label I do think there is a fair bit of 'Cultural Stalinism' which explains why you have two predominantly left leaning groups fighting each other. Stalin was about as much concerned- if not more so- with fighting the wrong sort of leftist as with fighting rightists, and with purging those who were disloyal or ideologically impure leftists. That is pretty much what antiGG is about, purging the wrong sorts of left leaning people so only proper thinkers remain. Not up to the kulaks or mass graves level though of course, except in some of their dreams.

Edited by Zoraptor

I'll be quite interested to read the second part of that article, to see if it comes to the same general conclusion I have. While I don't really like the Cultural Marxism label I do think there is a fair bit of 'Cultural Stalinism' which explains why you have two predominantly left leaning groups fighting each other. Stalin was about as much concerned- if not more so- with fighting the wrong sort of leftist as with fighting rightists, and with purging those who were disloyal or ideologically impure leftists. That is pretty much what antiGG is about, purging the wrong sorts of left leaning people so only proper thinkers remain. Not up to the kulaks or mass graves level though of course, except in some of their dreams.

Stalin was also a big proponent of sweet moustaches, which ultimately led to his quarrel with Hitler over which style was superior.

Source:

I think that is the conclusion to draw, given the data presented. IMO this is primarily a battle between Authoritarian and Libertarian groups, and as such there is some elements of "true left" in some conversations.

I've also noticed a difference in economic and class thought, but that would be a long TL;DR.

I would be lying if I said I didn't agree to an extent, but I also believe that if we don't TRY every so often, then we both cannot expect **** to change and we'd become just as guilty of being brick walls. I also like to think that sometimes these people may not see what I'm saying immediately, but maybe in a year's time they'll remember a comment I made and it'll help them come to terms with something faster.

Lastly, I consider people who may read from the sidelines. If I make an honest effort to communicate and discuss things civilly and I get called scum for it...well, guess who walks away with a better reputation.

But yeah the AgaGalneer person in particular is just an awful stereotype of what GamerGhazi is. It's both sickening and saddening to see a person like that actually exists.

I get where you coming from, as I did the same with a "DrPizza", but for the most part I try to avoid directly engaging ghazelles because it's just going to consist of goalpost shifting and being called names.

I will confess that despite law studies basically teaching you to praise debate as this massive problem solving tool, GamerGate is wearing on me in the sense that for the first time ever, I'm encountering a group of people I consider hopeless and a blatant waste of time to try and debate with. My mother can be pretty...hysterical, during fights? Very quick to accuse you of insulting her or exaggerating things you never even said to ridiculous degrees, and for that reason I don't even BOTHER arguing or fighting with my mom. (for example I once got accused of calling my own mother an idiot and not having any trust in her and being a terrible son because I trusted a phone service worker who claimed our internet would be back on when we got home whereas she thought the worker was lying to us. It wasn't a simple "ok we'll check but if I was right I'm rubbing it in," it was a "How DARE you trust a random stranger more than me and accuse me of being an idiot" even though all I said was "let's just go home and check before causing a ruckus") Hell, usually ignoring her outbursts results in her apologizing.

And while I could expect that from a random person like my mom, to see that kind of attitude to feel THIS common amongst an entire group is disheartening. I think you can learn a lot from any area of study at a university, and I think what law teaches is fairness and how to go about with a healthy discussion. It's very sad to watch THIS many people basically treat those lessons as mere fairy tales.

Oh and before anyone asks, not accusing the anti-GG people of these (Obsidian) forums of being like that. Part of the reason I can say all this openly is because it luckily doesn't apply here.

Edited by Longknife

No one who is part of GamerGate can convince ghazi-people that they might be wrong. They really don't matter, but neutrals do. Let ghazi spread their hate, debate them calmly, and we get one more neutral to our side who was reading.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

The guy who started Notyourshield and was fired after someone called his employer is now being reported as suicidal.

http://m.imgur.com/yAjR0l7

I keep dipping in here, and purely as a matter of personal opinion this has to be the single most pointless and boring discussion we've ever had.

I'm sure that won't change anyone's mind. I just wanted it on record.

I'm not ignorant of feminist issues, or gaming, or blogging. But I call bull****.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The guy who started Notyourshield and was fired after someone called his employer is now being reported as suicidal.

http://m.imgur.com/yAjR0l7

They say we're a hate mob. Anti-GG seem to have an issue with projection.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I keep dipping in here, and purely as a matter of personal opinion this has to be the single most pointless and boring discussion we've ever had.

I'm not ignorant of feminist issues, or gaming, or blogging. But I call bull****.

Bull**** on what?

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

During the Cold War the Russians were very keen to infiltrate counterculture movements to undermine the West they obviously didn't think it was pointless, specially since they used those methods to subvert Afghanistan.

Nowadays you see the result of what the Left has brought, you just have to look at Sweden to see an extreme of what this ideology means when it affects politics. Plus you have them also affecting the media because they want to preach their ideology, therefore they have turned entertainment into a political battlefield.

Maybe you don't see this a relevant but sadly your opinion doesn't change the fact that if they are ignored they will end up controlling the medium as they did with Games Journalism and the Indie scene. These are not isolated incidents as other facets of nerd culture have been affected, namely the tabletop and comic book communities. 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Welp I just saw something pretty gross on KiA. Won't link cuz would get me the banhammer, but it's something pretty screwed up that happened to Lizzy.

Welp I just saw something pretty gross on KiA. Won't link cuz would get me the banhammer, but it's something pretty screwed up that happened to Lizzy.

Is it that one thing that someone did to a picture of her?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I am a bit out the loop now. Who is Lizzy and what has happened to her?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I am a bit out the loop now. Who is Lizzy and what has happened to her?

She's a girl who uses the tag and some aGGros are passing around a picture of her that someone **** a load on.

Sounds like a desperate cry from a losing enemy. She doesn't need to do anything but laugh at their feeble attempts.

//EDIT: Where's her spot on BBC, CNN, MSNBC now?

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Sounds like a desperate cry from a losing enemy. She doesn't need to do anything but laugh at their feeble attempts.

//EDIT: Where's her spot on BBC, CNN, MSNBC now?

I just find it a bit ****ed up coming from esteemed advocates of women.

And Mike Cernovich and Chris Kluweare having a throwdown.

During the Cold War the Russians were very keen to infiltrate counterculture movements to undermine the West they obviously didn't think it was pointless, specially since they used those methods to subvert Afghanistan.

Nowadays you see the result of what the Left has brought, you just have to look at Sweden to see an extreme of what this ideology means when it affects politics. Plus you have them also affecting the media because they want to preach their ideology, therefore they have turned entertainment into a political battlefield.

Maybe you don't see this a relevant but sadly your opinion doesn't change the fact that if they are ignored they will end up controlling the medium as they did with Games Journalism and the Indie scene. These are not isolated incidents as other facets of nerd culture have been affected, namely the tabletop and comic book communities. 

Hi Guys 

I'm back from my Xmas holiday, I had a great time  :biggrin:

Do you really see the GG movement as significant as the ideological conflict of the Cold War? I'm  not sure if you being serious?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Hi Guys 

Do you really see the GG movement as significant as the ideological conflict of the Cold War? I'm  not sure if you being serious?

No, I do see it as a part of the Authoritarian v. Libertarian conflict though. I would say that is possibly as significant as the Cold War, despite being a largely democratic battle inside nations rather than a diplomatic battle between nations.

Hi Guys 

No, I do see it as a part of the Authoritarian v. Libertarian conflict though. I would say that is possibly as significant as the Cold War, despite being a largely democratic battle inside nations rather than a diplomatic battle between nations.

I didn't realize you look at this GG development in such  a serious manner

Can I ask you a few questions so that I'm clear on what you saying, what do you mean by the Authoritarian v. Libertarian conflict ? Can you give me an example so I understand ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

GG as important as the cold war? Lol.

No, I certainly don't see GG as important as the cold war. I would hope no one does.

Edited by Namutree

I didn't realize you look at this GG development in such  a serious manner

Not Gamergate specifically, the Authoritarian v. Libertarian conflict. I do believe that Gamergate is a facet of that, and what evidence there is shows that the group commonly refereed to as "pro-gg" tend to lean libertarian.

Can I ask you a few questions so that I'm clear on what you saying, 1. what do you mean by the Authoritarian v. Libertarian conflict ? 2. Can you give me an example so I understand ?

1. The ideological divide between the desire for more personal freedom and the desire for more governmental power/control in order to provide order and enforce "niceness".

2. The debate over government surveillance without a warrant.(see PATRIOT act) Essentially is it worth giving up your right to privacy in order to give the authorities more tools to supposedly prevent terrorism.

Edited by KaineParker