What are you playing now?

Blarghagh

I'm putting in my daily hour or so of Infinity Wars and getting back out on the road with Euro Truck Simulator 2.  It took me a little while to dial in the sensitivity on the steering and the acceleration and braking axes, and to get comfortable with all the buttons on the wheel, but now that I have, cruising around with a wheel and pedals setup is so much better than playing with a gamepad.  Now, if I just had an Oculus headset, I'd be in for full immersion.  I'm still going to wait a couple more iterations before I consider getting one of those headsets, though.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Gat Out of Hell.

It's both a lot of fun and a bit of a let down.

The environment is fresh, and the angel wings flying is really good. They've definitely done something good with that combination. It's full of general, cheesy fun and games, and nice humour.

There is absolutely no message, morality, or political edge to it. It's all just good, clean, silly fun.

But... there isn't a big push of story to it. Or at least, gameplay wise it's being pushed by you doing random side things, rather than any campaign-centric missions.

It's still a lot of fun, and I can see myself spending quite a few hours just poking around, but it lacks something without that. Saints Row was always good at creating interesting, quirky, and generally well written campaign missions, so it's noticeable when that's missing.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I rushed through Catherine over the weekend. I've had it since release and never got far into it, the time pressure on the puzzles made me too tense. So I set it to Easy this weekend and used a walkthrough. Sue me.

Apparently I heard some fake spoilers a long time ago, so the storyline really surprised me. And it was kind of touching, too.

I heard that Katherine and Catherine were both sides of the same demon. So through the game you were basically choosing how you want her to be. I kept expecting the game to say "HAH, it's not cheating, it's really your girlfriend, she's just nuts!"

But no, Catherine is the demon and a separate character that only technically even exists. It makes the Katherine arc a little more interesting because Vincent never cheats on her, Catherine just teleports into his room while he's asleep and claims they did. So when the realization hits and it becomes a journey to win back Katherine and convince her of the truth. Aww.

So why would anyone go with the Catherine ending because her entire personality is faked? I think that's the weakness of that path. The only reason to go that way is because Katherine does a fake baby scare and that's kind of ****ed up.

Felt good to get that off my backlog.

Excellent puzzle platformer from the Persona developers. Anyway, I'd say Catherine's part incidentally reflects the free-spirited bachelor-type, which is supposed to resonate with the player whose choices mirrors that.. You don't actually have to pick one over the other, you can also choose neither -- I suppose the literal image of Catherine's true self being a succubus is bit much and sends an awkward message, but ultimately I'd say it is just that.. an image. All in all I find it to be quite a neat little game that formally discusses the difficulties of relationships with some engaging puzzle gameplay

Where I'm coming from is that in the "free-spirited bachelor" vs "man willing to settle down" debate, that seems better represented by independence vs Katherine. And Catherine seems mainly to represent "are you mental?!"

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Started Blackguards myself, apparently I will be ruined by the game later.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I finished Chapter 1 in Of Orcs and Men. I'm enjoying it, but I'm nearly maxed out in my chosen skills at only level 11. And I checked a walkthrough to see how long it was, it has five chapters.

I'm kind of worried about it getting repetitive.

I send in Arkhail to taunt and then spam his defensive area attack until I need to manage his rage. Styx finds the biggest target and takes them out. I see no reason this strategy, or the moves I use for it, to change substantially.

Rightfully so as it does indeed get repetitive.  I did like the combat, though.  Usually turn-based/real-time hybrid systems suck, but I thought that system worked pretty well.  They could have done a lot more with it, though.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I finished Chapter 1 in Of Orcs and Men. I'm enjoying it, but I'm nearly maxed out in my chosen skills at only level 11. And I checked a walkthrough to see how long it was, it has five chapters.

I send in Arkhail to taunt and then spam his defensive area attack until I need to manage his rage. Styx finds the biggest target and takes them out. I see no reason this strategy, or the moves I use for it, to change substantially.

Once you get to fight different types of enemies you're going to have to diversify, particularly when there are enemies which block your skills.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Once you get to fight different types of enemies you're going to have to diversify, particularly when there are enemies which block your skills.

I'm skeptical. I'm not sure how enemies could block my skills. I already focus Styx on taking out defenses.

On the upside, I'm started tossing Styx and that's straight up awesome. Nearly kills everyone it hits.

While I hesitate to bring it up in a forum of such strictly politically correct values as this forum these days, I found the Saints Row standalone expansion to be excellent.

Note to draft: add a bunch of further disclaimers. ^H ^H ^H

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'm skeptical. I'm not sure how enemies could block my skills. I already focus Styx on taking out defenses.

On the upside, I'm started tossing Styx and that's straight up awesome. Nearly kills everyone it hits.

It has a drawback, Styx has low health and defense so putting him in the middle of battle might not be the best. But I know that lancers can effectively tank your Orc and a lot of abilities are useless against them unless they are hit with a status effect, usually one generated by an attack from Styx. Knowing how to combo skills is a survival must later in the game..oh and good luck against the 3 berserkers.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

and good luck against the 3 berserkers.

Already done. The go to strategy worked, combined with poisoning and bleeding everyone. Just got to focus on the middle one first, too.

Sometimes, it's all about enjoying that musical number in the middle of your game...

That clip had me imagining the film Legend turned into a Disney-fied animated film.

Legend actually ruined me re: giant horned devil-like appearance chrs...I can never see one without thinking of Tim Curry, now.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Black Flag is my favorite Assassin's Creed game by far.  Maybe it's just the pirate setting that I enjoy so much, but I'm, having more fun exploring the world in this game than any of the previous games.

I've finally upgraded my ship enough that I can take on Man O Wars and not get pimped slapped.  So cruising around as a terror of the seas is now really fun.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Well, I've spent about 10 hours playing Gat Out of Hell, and just finished it.

I have only this to say...  Nathon Fillion is the Voice of God....  :biggrin:

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Super Mario Bros. 2 (The Lost Levels) on SNES: currently killing my hands, but...I'm on World D (five after World 8 ), the last one. Tough game.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Finished all the naval and assassin side missions in Black Flag.  I'm almost done upgrading the Jackdaw completely.  I should probably get back to main mission soon.  I've got either 5 or 6 main mission sequences to go.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Finished Of Orcs and Men. Not nearly as long as I thought. Chapter 1 and 2 are these long things with many missions. 3, 4, and 5 have basically 1-2 missions each.

On to ME2 PS3!