Journalism and sexism in the games industry

Gorth

Btw, TB is a practising christian that really hates Thatcher and support Labour fully.  

...So what?

Point being that GG does not have a common idealogical ground? Or have i lost track of this conversation?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

What is the point of this conversation anyway ? Not like shirty over there is going to suddenly become pro-GG.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Has this been posted yet? https://8chan.co/gg/res/553735.html

They are going directly for the head now.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I do think that there are elements within GG that are sexist and misogynist, so you are right about that. That's probably the only thing you are correct about in this post

It also sounds like you are getting into the business of telling people when and where certain jokes are applicable, this doesn't like GG? That sounds more like what a SJW would say because we believe that certain jokes are not appropriate. So welcome to the club, you'll see its not so bad here :thumbsup:

I have to dismiss everything else you say as " anti-BruceVC propaganda" ...its bias and therefore we  have to question its credibility :geek:

As much as it hurts me I am on your side at this, make jokes as you wish, its your right

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Has this been posted yet? https://8chan.co/gg/res/553735.html

They are going directly for the head now.

No, but it is awesome.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Btw, TB is a practising christian that really hates Thatcher and support Labour fully.  

...So what?

Point being that GG does not have a common idealogical ground? Or have i lost track of this conversation?

I don't remember claiming that it ever did, so probably yes.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Polls are reflective of what people who voted think at the time of voting. 

This is also why they generally tend not to offer any meaningful insight into what the wider populace thinks. I mean, you can certainly ascertain what the subgroup of "people who have access to Internet, have time to and like to fill out internet polls, and are aware of the poll in question" think, but these selection criteria are not guaranteed to grant you a representative sample.

Gee, it's like you people have never heard of selection bias.

What this poll tells you is that a lot of people are fed up with SJW's and radical feminists. a big backlash is happening.

Polls like that are not proper scientific polls, yes. So what?

It's a poll specifically for people who come to that site. In theory, it's representative of THAT.

If you already now that, then why censor?

What poll are you talking about?  How many people took the poll?  

Could have built an aircraft carrier with all the man hours wasted on this pointless discussion.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Could have built an aircraft carrier with all the man hours wasted on this pointless discussion.

Like most discussions on internetz

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

il_570xN.256554423.jpg

Firing proton torpedo emails.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

No, no I'll continue to post in this thread, I do sometimes enjoy the debate

And I was just joking with my comment, hence the  ;)  

You GG people are very sensitive and defensive, it seems  you can't take a joke :ermm:

I was a little surprised by how upset Longknife/Fighter was. I didn't think you were totally serious.

I'm upset by it because Bruce has this wonderful habit of not even replying to points he cannot counter while posting nothing but things that fit into his agenda or things to derail from serious discussion. I've got nothing against humor or even derailing comments when it's only to a certain extent.

But seriously, flip back through the pages. You'll notice a clear pattern where some of the most effective arguments by a GGer are blissfully looked over as he pretends they do not exist.

Meanwhile, in the very first thread of this series, I proposed a challenge to name one prominent GG supporter who has made a single sexist or racist comment or condoned harassment. My point was that the only people the SJWs and anti-GG point to are the anonymous trolls with names like "umadsosad" who post things like "I'll fookn cut j00 n***er lel" and try to claim that's the face of an entire movement. Such tactics could be used against literally -ANY- group.

And here we are and he's "joking" about how sexist and racist GG is while still failing to cite a SINGLE example of sexism or racism even after I and others have asked him to do so.

No, you do not have the right to make such jokes when you cannot even participate in a real debate or respond to requests to cite your stances.

Why did that comment piss me off? Because it beautifully sums up how delusional and blind Bruce is. I'm not blind to the fact it was a joke, but what's disturbing to me is that he apparently thinks ANYONE would find it funny. It's the most obvious thing in the world that he's in the overwhelming minority opinion in this thread, and yet he spouts that "joke" as if he were in some sort of supermajority and everyone will love it. That to me says that regardless how much we talk to him or tell him this or that, he won't listen or acknowledge reality. Talking to him is like talking to a brick wall, and even when people make good points, he blatantly ignores them and continues to go about with an attitude that he is right and we are wrong and obviously everyone in GG is sexist and racist.

Yes, I would surmise from that joke that he still believe GamerGate to be a sexist/racist/all the bad word in the world movement, and that pisses me off, because for him to think that now is nothing short of delusional.

You wanna challenge my point? Ask him yourself, right now, if he thinks people in GG are sexist and racist, then ask him to name prominent examples. As I said, no, I do NOT find such a joke ok when he cannot name examples because when one makes such a joke while completely lacking evidence to reinforce that joke and actually warrant it's existence, then that to me says "this individual is delusional as ****." Him telling that joke is essentially on par with a Republican going to a Democratic convention and telling a joke about how the scumbag democrats framed Richard Nixon: it's nothing short of delusional to think it'd be well-received and highlights just how in-denial he is to think it would be.

To quote a comedian, "it's my firm belief, you absolutely have to know where you are in the time space continuum." I never thought I'd meet someone where I questioned if they did.

I do think that there are elements within GG that are sexist and misogynist, so you are right about that. That's probably the only thing you are correct about in this post

It also sounds like you are getting into the business of telling people when and where certain jokes are applicable, this doesn't like GG? That sounds more like what a SJW would say because we believe that certain jokes are not appropriate. So welcome to the club, you'll see its not so bad here :thumbsup:

I have to dismiss everything else you say as " anti-BruceVC propaganda" ...its bias and therefore we  have to question its credibility :geek:

And I call blatant bull****.

Why?

Jokes are often defined as "witty observations."

For that joke to qualify as such (as a joke), you'd need to be commenting on an observation you made that held some manner of truth to it. If you sit here and claim "I don't think they're sexist and racist" then the joke loses all ground. So you mean to tell me you thought it'd randomly be funny to liken everyone you're debating against as sexist and racist, for no apparent reason...?

Yeah, I don't buy that worth a damn. You can sit there retreating claiming it's a joke all you like, but your thought process doesn't make a lick of sense if I'm to believe this claim above. You know damned well what you did, BS excuses aren't going to change the fact you said it. No, they're just a petty way to weasel out of owning up to a mistake you made.

As I said, the joke does not offend me, and if someone else had said it I probably wouldn't react as drastically, I react the way I do now because it's mind-numbing to watch you be in denial time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time again.

As for you calling it "anti-Bruce" propaganda, I think you'll find most people here know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. If not, perhaps I can cite a few examples of you suddenly going silent whenever a good counter argument comes up. This isn't rocket science nor is this anything new. You've been doing it since thread #1.

EDIT:  I actually misread what you said and see you are openly admitting to considering GG sexist and racist. And again, where are your sources? Where is a single prominent GGer making a sexist or racist comment.?

TIME magazine did a poll for most loathed word, feminism won.

Now the claim is it was a "small bias sample" and doesn't accurately represent the mentality of the people. I've no idea how large the sample was but I'd hardly consider TIME's readership to be naturally bias towards anti-feminism...

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

t. And again, where are your sources? Where is a single prominent GGer making a sexist or racist comment.?

Now the claim is it was a "small bias sample" and doesn't accurately represent the mentality of the people. I've no idea how large the sample was but I'd hardly consider TIME's readership to be naturally bias towards anti-feminism...

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/time-apologizes-including-feminist-poll-words-ban/

As  usual you don't understand a situation, get your facts straight please before make these " great statements of outrage"

Its was TIME membership who complained about the fact " feminism " was in the list. And TIME magazine agreed. So they removed it, its not to understand because that's what there members wanted

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

t. And again, where are your sources? Where is a single prominent GGer making a sexist or racist comment.?

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/time-apologizes-including-feminist-poll-words-ban/

As  usual you don't understand a situation, get your facts straight please before make these " great statements of outrage"

Its was TIME membership who complained about the fact " feminism " was in the list. And TIME magazine agreed. So they removed it, its not to understand because that's what there members wanted

Doubt it were same members (majority) which voted for it, dont you think? :)

Edited by Chilloutman

Doubt it were same members (majority) which voted for it, dont you think? :)

They don't exist because (insert dumb**** rationalization here).

I actually misread what you said and see you are openly admitting to considering GG sexist and racist. And again, where are your sources? Where is a single prominent GGer making a sexist or racist comment.?

And until you define what you mean by "prominent GGer", this question remains unanswerable. Is Davis "women in our society have become the most decadent sluts since the fall of Rome" Aurini, a self-identified gamergater, co-creator of The Sarkeesian Effect, with a Patreon that managed to gather nearly 10k dollars of gamergater money, prominent enough? Is Milo "you get your **** out for a living, don't tell me how to do my job" Yiannopoulos, also self-identified gamergater prominent enough?

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid
  • Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

You've just got to love Daniel Vavra.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I actually misread what you said and see you are openly admitting to considering GG sexist and racist. And again, where are your sources? Where is a single prominent GGer making a sexist or racist comment.?

And until you define what you mean by "prominent GGer", this question remains unanswerable. Is Davis "women in our society have become the most decadent sluts since the fall of Rome" Aurini, a self-identified gamergater, co-creator of The Sarkeesian Effect, with a Patreon that managed to gather nearly 10k dollars of gamergater money, prominent enough? Is Milo "you get your **** out for a living, don't tell me how to do my job" Yiannopoulos, also self-identified gamergater prominent enough?

I would say Dan Vavra, he is developer of quite successfull dev studio - so he is related to game business and he was corresponder for some game magazines. Or maybe TotalBiscuit - he is quite known GG supporter. I must say I watched one video for Davis and he is quite funny but total out of place guy (probably in the head as well, doubt he ever got any women)

Edited by Chilloutman
  • Like 1

I do, and feel bad I didn't back Kingdom Come because it looks really good.

I do, and feel bad I didn't back Kingdom Come because it looks really good.

You still can

• Like 1

I notice Longknife has been conveniently ignoring this point from you, hopefully he will respond now

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

And until you define what you mean by "prominent GGer", this question remains unanswerable.

I'm talking a person that GamerGaters put up on a pedestal. TotalBiscuit, Oliver Campell, Sargon of Akkad, ThunderF00t, Mike Cernovich, Christine Sommers, Jennie Bharaj etc etc etc. You get the idea.

The closest one can find it Milo, who has both had some of politics denounced as not being related to GG, and even then I recall him saying more controversial stances in regards to transgender individuals and not anything sexist or racist.

And that's my point: GG doesn't put those guys up on a pedestal. The one guy who questionably does has already had threads discussing him in KiA for example, saying that his political stances outside of GG should carry no weight for the movement as it's irrelevant and not the focus of GG, as well as other times when the movement has voiced a desire to not see him do such and such interview because some of his political stances are a liability that easily derail from GG itself (example, Pakman asked questions in regards to Milo's stance on transgender people in an interview. Regardless of your own stance and what you thought of his answer, it was a left field question entirely unrelated to GG and related moreso to Milo).

The simple fact that the collective of GG does not have sexist and racist spokespersons speaking on it's behalf should reflect that it is not a sexist and racist movement.

As for that Aurini guy, I know nothing about him and he definitely isn't a prominent member. While I sincerely doubt I could cite this, I do however specifically recall how he got that 10k from Patreon. He got it by offering to make the movie in the wake of GamerGate first starting up as a thing, and even THEN I recall a thread popping up advising people NOT to throw money at him because the two guys behind it were of questionable professionalism and ideas. As I said, when I asked the question, the only name that could qualify by quite a stretch is Milo. Stretch in the sense the man has had questionable stances pre-GG and his stances have been discussed and denounced before. I mean there's a reason TB basically gets EVERYTHING he said discussed whereas Milo only comes up when he writes a factual article and not so much when he voices an opinion.

I notice Longknife has been conveniently ignoring this point from you, hopefully he will respond now

Seriously, grow up dude. I check in on this thread ~once per hour. There's this handy dandy little thing at the bottom that can show you who's watching the thread, and you may've noticed I just got here.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Do the "prominent" (I guess this means loudest) members really matter that much ? Other side has Quinn, McIntosh, that freak Wu and Cheong, after all.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra