Update on the Update

BAdler

Hey, everyone. We are continuing to bug fix this week. We have had a lock on new features since the beginning of last week and we have been focusing on bug fixes last week and this week. Any requested new feature gets placed on a list that we will evaluate in a couple of weeks.

Starting next week we will be doing team-wide play days over the whole week. This is so everyone on the team can get a full view on everything that has been going into the game. After that we will probably spend a few days fixing the most egregious bugs we run into before putting out a new beta.

What this means for you guys is that we will likely target a new update for the week of November 10th. I will let you guys know if any of that changes.

• Like 23

Thanks for the update. 

I would be very interested to get a small summary of what comes out of your "play days". 

I think a lot of people would love to hear YOUR opinion on the current state of the game, what aspects you consider need the most work, and those that you are not likely to revisit until release. 

This would be a good way for the beta-testers to focus their energy on stuff that is actually useful to you and that are likely to make a difference. Currently the discussions are all over the place (XP, combat, graphics, and whatnot) which is probably a waste of everyone's time. 

• Like 6

Can't wait to see the new build! :)

I was thinking to start a thread to ask this, but I guess it's better to do it here - in what aspect of the game would you prefer to point volunteering betatesters? What part of the game should I concentrate on testing, to be of most help to you?

Edited by Gairnulf

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Starting next week we will be doing team-wide play days over the whole week.

Will this be only the beta content?

I am hoping you guys might post some video of the playthroughs.

I know there are rtards that will judge your playing skillz, but I'm really interested on your way of approaching combat.

I approached combat in this game similar to how i do in IE games, that's why i would actually like to see someone play the game that knows how the developers envisioned playing it.

• Like 1

I was thinking to start a thread to ask this, but I guess it's better to do it here - in what aspect of the game would you prefer to point volunteering betatesters? What part of the game should I concentrate on testing, to be of most help to you?

All of it. Whatever you think needs help.

in what aspect of the game would you prefer to point volunteering betatesters? What part of the game should I concentrate on testing, to be of most help to you?

All of it, they're interested in hearing your feedback. If you are looking for specific examples, they were provided in the Backer Beta Kickstarter Update

High Priority Feedback

As participants in the Backer Beta, you're free to give feedback on whatever you feel like. However, if you'd like to be extra-helpful, there are a few areas where your thoughts would be especially helpful.

• Classes - Do all classes feel distinct and useful? Does the progression of their abilities seem consistent? Do any classes feel too high-maintenance? Do any classes feel too uninvolved?
  • Races - Do the races and their subtypes feel distinct? Do their models and textures appeal to you? Do their bonuses and special abilities seem worthwhile?
  • Attributes - Do you find any attributes invaluable, such that you would never build a character without emphasizing that attribute? Are there any attributes you consistently dump because they don't seem to have apparent value? Do the attributes seem to skew away or toward different classes?
  • Equipment - Did you like or dislike the variety of weapons, armor, shields, potions, scrolls, and miscellaneous items? What items did you find invaluable or useless?
  • Crafting and Enchanting - How easy were the systems to understand and use? Did you find them worthwhile?
  • Conversations and Quests - Did you enjoy the conversations and quests in the Backer Beta? Were there any aspects of the aesthetics, presentation, or flow of conversations or quests that you didn't enjoy?
  • Combat - Did you enjoy the overall experience of combat, especially pacing, difficulty, and mechanics? Did the basic attack/defense resolution system (Miss/Graze/Hit/Crit) make sense? Was the relationship between damage and damage threshold clear? Was the relationship between stamina and health clear?
  • User Interface - Was character creation enjoyable and clear? Did each stage of the process give you all the information you needed to make choices? Was the main game HUD easy to understand and use? Were any portions of it confusing, poorly-positioned, or did they use visual language that was hard to decipher? Were the inventory, character sheet, and journal interfaces clear and easy to understand/use?
Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

Hey, everyone. We are continuing to bug fix this week. We have had a lock on new features since the beginning of last week and we have been focusing on bug fixes last week and this week. Any requested new feature gets placed on a list that we will evaluate in a couple of weeks.

Starting next week we will be doing team-wide play days over the whole week. This is so everyone on the team can get a full view on everything that has been going into the game. After that we will probably spend a few days fixing the most egregious bugs we run into before putting out a new beta.

What this means for you guys is that we will likely target a new update for the week of November 10th. I will let you guys know if any of that changes.

Thanks for the post Brandon, and the updates on things to come. This is exactly the sort of post/info that I think a lot of folks have really been missing. Much appreciated.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

You guys should have an Infinity Engine game playthrough as well - it would help ground your experience more as you are in fact developing an IE game successor.

I recently did a full playthrough of Icewind Dale with the 1PP mod, and it really helped give me perspective on many of PE's issues. Should probably hand out optimized partys to the new players though :p

Edited by Sensuki

And perhaps a bit blasphemous, but since combat is so far from the IE games, you guys should also give your own NWN2 (especially the all-party SoZ) and DS3 a whirl too. Especially get a feel for the combat. How do you like it in PoE compared to those games? I'm very interested in your reactions and which kind of improvements you see fit for the continuation of the beta.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I know, Sensuki. I just bit off the head of our pipe dream of some revived IE game. We have to accept that we get an entirely new game. Think, DS3 and NWN2 mixed hard in a blender,  with a pinch of speed, and then we'll get an all time high! :excl:  8)  :skull:

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I think Indira is looking for a PoE game that is a lot like DAI, DS3, NWN2/SoZ, WL2, all the IE games (did I miss any) all at the same time! :dancing:

• Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

And perhaps a bit blasphemous, but since combat is so far from the IE games, you guys should also give your own NWN2 (especially the all-party SoZ) and DS3 a whirl too. Especially get a feel for the combat. How do you like it in PoE compared to those games? I'm very interested in your reactions and which kind of improvements you see fit for the continuation of the beta.

While I appreciate the sentiments, I think Beta testing POE and maybe playing a couple of hours of an infinity engine game is pretty time consuming as it is. I'd rather the scope be smaller, but more complete. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the PE team decided to keep playing through this week

brutally murdered by wolves, skuldr, ivory spinners. #rip everyone on the #pillarsofeternity team.

gibbing ppl with a stiletto. lol every tyme. #pillarsofeternity

Speaking of Twitter, I find obsidian is not making an amazing job at promoting the game. 

They should be posting updates on there way more often. 

Not that I care hugely about social networks, but I really wish the game does well commercially. 

Edited by Quantics