Dragon Age: Inquisition

Rosbjerg

No gaming site with more than ten readers gives the biggest arrpeegee of the year less than 8.

Is it not possible that the game could be deserving of 8/10?

Not all reviews are about some inflated score due to some ulterior motive which I still don't understand blink.png

Anything's possible. But Dragon Age 2 got better scores in its first rounds.

I don't assume ulterior motives, but people get caught up in the flash.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

No gaming site with more than ten readers gives the biggest arrpeegee of the year less than 8.

Hmm. I read that as praise and confirmation that there is at least some validity to its score. :geek:

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Here's a blasphemous thought: Imagine Blackguards' combat system married with PoE in its entirety. :devil:

Get the **** out.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

http://www.pcgamer.com/dragon-age-inquisition-review/

Here is  a good review...worth reading

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Worth pointing out that this was their review for DA2.

http://www.pcgamer.com/dragon-age-2-review/

That does seem a bit high for a DA 2 review

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I stopped reading reviews around the DA2 time. Not because I disagreed with the initial round of reviews so much, but because of all the backpedaling they did afterwards. More like it taught me what Alpha Protocol already should have taught me: people who review games aren't people like me. :p

• Like 2

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I think Sarex's point is that it's higher than their DA:I score which is indeed rather funny because even BioWare grudgingly admitted they had cut corners in DA2. With DA:I they're supposedly going "all-out" so 87 (vs. 94) is kind of fail. Or so it looks anyway. :)

Edited by prodigydancer

I think Sarex's point is that it's higher than their DA:I score which is indeed rather funny because even BioWare grudgingly admitted they had cut corners in DA2 and with DA:I they're supposedly going "all-out".

I understand his point but the DA2 review was 3 years ago and wasn't made by the same person as the DA:I review

So we can't assume the DA:I review is inaccurate even if its the same website

John Milton 

Technically, no review is inaccurate - it's just somebody's opinion on something. :)

Still, my comments on that very review:

There are three (or more) possibilities that can explain the score and the write-up:

-He actually adored that version of DA:I

-Or he didn't play the game as much as he let on (in other media, like movies, and especially books, there have been plenty of scandals over the years of reviewers lifting the pay cheque, hardly having flipped through the content.)

-Or he was bought by some party invested in the project

A fourth possibility, he was trolling hard.

A fifth, he jumped on a bandwagon with no idea of its direction or purpose.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Technically, no review is inaccurate - it's just somebody's opinion on something. :)

Still, my comments on that very review:

There are three (or more) possibilities that can explain the score and the write-up:

-He actually adored that version of DA:I

-Or he didn't play the game as much as he let on (in other media, like movies, and especially books, there have been plenty of scandals throughout the years of reviewers lifting the pay cheque, without hardly flipping through the content.)

-Or he was bought by some party invested in the project

A fourth possibility, he was trolling hard.

A fifth, he jumped on a bandwagon with no idea of its direction or purpose.

The bandwagon-jumping really only came after the release. A lot of the corners cut by Bioware had been cut before to little reaction.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I meant the pre-release hype of it all:

-Journalists being part of social clique networks in gaming

-Journalists getting special invites to previews

-Journalists mingling and giving each other self-congratulatory nods

-And then journalists, almost like a herd, just give at a high score, since it feels right

:biggrin:

• Like 1

I stopped reading reviews around the DA2 time. Not because I disagreed with the initial round of reviews so much, but because of all the backpedaling they did afterwards. More like it taught me what Alpha Protocol already should have taught me: people who review games aren't people like me. tongue.png

My opinion is that reviews tend to be "undigested."

I've noticed it time and again in myself, I'll form an early opinion of something, and then revise it in the later analysis.

It's not until we've stopped and given ourselves a breath that we look at the whole picture. And sometimes we won't see that whole picture until we start discussing it. I'm not sure if the time table of reviews really allows for much of that, to be honest.

I liked Dragon Age 2 at first blush, I really truly honestly did. And that's part of why I've come to this conclusion. I like the waves, they were exciting. But then that's all the game had. Once the excitement drops is when you can start seeing the formulas. When you forgave the game for how it handled Sister Petrice and make the good faith assumption that it will pay off, but then it never does, it only keeps giving you more scenarios like it.

I don't want to assume Dragon Age: Inquisition will be like that. That it will be a game that's exciting so long as you can keep up the adrenaline, and once you let yourself slow down, it starts to crash. But we as people are constantly changing, not just on the longer time scales. We can change our minds and opinions within an hour if we're given cause.

I need some freakin' analysis.

• Like 2

" I don't believe in scores because I don't believe a complex opinion can be represented numerically. You like numbers? How about four, as in fourk you! Do you really need someone in authority giving you a simple "yea" or "nay" before you buy anything? Why don't you roll over so they can stamp on the other side of your face?" ~ Yahtzee Croshaw

In regards to a Mailbag Showdown special he made a while back, I can safely thsay that I agree with him here that retroactively, scores are meaningless as they can't summarize something as compound as telling whether a game is fun/worth it/great etc. I feel I've seen too many times before where eve the supposed perfect score still aligns with something that isn't entirely "perfect" or is held back by bitter issues such as say story, but where one reviewer might have felt that that gameplay was so intriguing that it basically sold the game on tis own.

People tend to find differnet aspects of games more elaborate or fun than others. Shadow of Mordor, for instance, is a game I feel sells itself alone on its incredibly fun and intuitive gameplay, despite the fact that it isn't really unique or groundbreaking, aside from the introduction of the Nemesis system.

So far I'm sold on Inquisition -- Speaking of Yahtzee, I'm looking forward to his review of this game as well.

I stopped reading reviews around the DA2 time. Not because I disagreed with the initial round of reviews so much, but because of all the backpedaling they did afterwards. More like it taught me what Alpha Protocol already should have taught me: people who review games aren't people like me. tongue.png

My opinion is that reviews tend to be "undigested."

I've noticed it time and again in myself, I'll form an early opinion of something, and then revise it in the later analysis.

It's not until we've stopped and given ourselves a breath that we look at the whole picture. And sometimes we won't see that whole picture until we start discussing it. I'm not sure if the time table of reviews really allows for much of that, to be honest.

I liked Dragon Age 2 at first blush, I really truly honestly did. And that's part of why I've come to this conclusion. I like the waves, they were exciting. But then that's all the game had. Once the excitement drops is when you can start seeing the formulas. When you forgave the game for how it handled Sister Petrice and make the good faith assumption that it will pay off, but then it never does, it only keeps giving you more scenarios like it.

I don't want to assume Dragon Age: Inquisition will be like that. That it will be a game that's exciting so long as you can keep up the adrenaline, and once you let yourself slow down, it starts to crash. But we as people are constantly changing, not just on the longer time scales. We can change our minds and opinions within an hour if we're given cause.

I need some freakin' analysis.

^

Badass-Einstein_o_93220.jpg

" So very true," says biker Heinekenstein.

• Like 2

And that spoiler I just found made me want to get the game. Not for any rational reason, mind you.

A PS4 and the game.

Anyone here getting the PS4 version besides me? My PC can run it on minimum but I'd rather play it on console than have it on minimum settings.

I'm close, I'll have to buy a PS4 as well though.

Tale: You'll probably find a cheap PS4 during Black Friday. Wouldn't surprise me if the game got a decent price, too.

I see I am not the only one going for PS4.

I will have to wait until next summer/fall before even considering a new PC.