Drama in indy gaming and games journalism

Gorth

I like the implication that I'm just going to believe any twitter post without thinking as if I'm not going to verify that they come from halfway credible sources or sources I've been familiar with for a longer time. Social media does not automatically make something untrue and manipulative. There have been plenty of attempts at manipulation and I'm not stupid. I've only posted things that come from a) a source I trust or b) falls in line with my personal experience in this particular situation. I wouldn't have posted them at all if there were any credible sources covering this at all, which there aren't. The only way to make an informed decision is to seek out the information through back channels and I've waded through the nonsense.

• Like 3

I like the implication that I'm just going to believe any twitter post without thinking as if I'm not going to verify that they come from halfway credible sources or sources I've been familiar with for a longer time. Social media does not automatically make something untrue and manipulative. There have been plenty of attempts at manipulation and I'm not stupid. I've only posted things that come from a) a source I trust or b) falls in line with my personal experience in this particular situation.

Indeed it's this portrayal of people as stupid, easily manipulated and weak willed that irritates me as well. I'm standing back watching and seeing both sides, and so far the fascists actions are damning them. Thus I judge them. While gamergate has sought discourse, transparency and a call to the middle ground, while condemning any hostile threats, eminently reasonable.

It's damning that the SJF's have such a low opinion of people, one of them I know read Twilight and saw nothing wrong with its portrayal of women. Only when he was pointed to a detailed thesis on the matter did he realise the detestable subtext of submissiveness in the book, and then he immediately changed his tune. He had no opinion because he was simply not clever enough to form one, and yet he was preaching to others constantly. Hypocrisy in action.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I like the implication that I'm just going to believe any twitter post without thinking as if I'm not going to verify that they come from halfway credible sources or sources I've been familiar with for a longer time. Social media does not automatically make something untrue and manipulative. There have been plenty of attempts at manipulation and I'm not stupid. I've only posted things that come from a) a source I trust or b) falls in line with my personal experience in this particular situation. I wouldn't have posted them at all if there were any credible sources covering this at all, which there aren't. The only way to make an informed decision is to seek out the information through back channels and I've waded through the nonsense.

If you want to make it ironic, Bruce was championing this:http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-ways-gamers-still-suck-at-dealing-with-women/ as good when the only sources are reddit posts, ED entries, and tweets.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

If you want to make it ironic, Bruce was championing this:http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-ways-gamers-still-suck-at-dealing-with-women/ as good when the only sources are reddit posts, ED entries, and tweets.

Dear Lord, that's just turgid cliche'd crap, positively insulting. Next they'll be saying we're the kind of desperate saddos whom inhabit strip joints, and throw their hard earned money at young ladies who detest them.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

ED in my knowledge of abbreviation is Encyclopedia Dramatica. Correct?

Yes.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Well, the fact that they used that as a source makes me more sad than anything else. It's a satire website.

I think assuming critical thinking from these articles is a mistake.

Apparently Polygon isn't happy with Tropico 5. I am linking an archive to avoid clicks for Polygon. If you wish to support Polygon... I am sure you can find the article through google. I personally enjoy Tropico, but haven't had the funds to buy the 5th installment. I also have WL2, Shadowrun Dragonfall Director's Cut, and the PoE beta so my time is limited anyway. I feel this review is extremely biased, but I hope others will chime in on their impressions.

https://archive.today/LWI0O

Apparently Polygon isn't happy with Tropico 5. I am linking an archive to avoid clicks for Polygon. If you wish to support Polygon... I am sure you can find the article through google. I personally enjoy Tropico, but haven't had the funds to buy the 5th installment. I also have WL2, Shadowrun Dragonfall Director's Cut, and the PoE beta so my time is limited anyway. I feel this review is extremely biased, but I hope others will chime in on their impressions.

https://archive.today/LWI0O

So the game plays well and has beautiful art, but sucks because it went for humor instead of social commentary. What a crock of ****.

Another harassment popped today, and sorry Bruce, it is from twitter. 

zqAUzG5.jpg

Guy has just bit over 1000 views on his gamergate videos. Like TrueNeutral I can understand someone going after prominent figure like Sarkeesian or Milo. I don't condone it, but I can understand it. Public figures always rise some ire. But these are just people, random nobodies like myself.

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Yknow, and this is potentially opening a can of worms:

I wonder if Obsidian's own developers would be willing to comment on the matter. I ask that both because I'm curious what they have to say about it and respect their opinions. If they said "yo Silverstring media is DA BOMB" or something then I'd be willing to hear them out as to why. Same for if they said "yo SilverString media is bats*** crazy." I'd also be curious as to if they'd have any insight as to what exactly is going on; they'd have more of a direct involvement with the game development culture and could probably explain some things about why people are acting certain ways in response to certain situations etc.

At any rate I wouldn't wanna force them to comment if they don't want to, since there seems to be a lot of that. I just mean I think it'd be interesting to hear from Obsidian on the matter because it's quite easy to hear "random game developer #54 who you've never heard of has this opinion about gamergate," but it's another thing to hear commentary or observations from devs you're more familiar with.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I hope Obsidian people dont comment on it at all. Because i´m sure the atmosphere within their Team is pretty good in terms of equality and all of that. You know, most people who talk about these so called issues are the ones who are unable to see their own faults and errors. So most people who dont comment on this stuff in the biz are the ones who dont need to talk about it because they already have equality in their company. The louder someone screams the more he/she is on the wrong side always. It´s not about euqality at all and these people know it. It´s about some no talents who wants to make money, being in the spotlight and riding the zionist agenda of everyone is average and so much easier to control. It´s all out there to read!

And Anita herself is a zionist!

Read Marx and other sources and ask yourself why is the western culture so full of sex, depravity, exhibitionism about nothing and sell out. Reducing the human to his animal instincts is all they want. If you have a generation of animal humans you can throw in every trend you can imagine and they will feed on it. It´s so simple and yet most dont realize it´s a very dangerous thing!

And that Anita can ban thunderfoot is because she and they are zionists. Get that in your head. They all work together in that and they dont care about any other human beings. We are not humans to them, but animals. But they tell you that they do good things ... yes.. very good for our civilisation precious!

A goyim is a goyim for them and thats all you need to know!

People should ignore ANYTHING from these evil people and let them eat their own fruit. You will never see this stuff implemented in their own group. Never, and why ? hmm...

Even you dont want to believe that but it´s a TALMUD agenda for goy! and that means it´s bad, plain and simple.

Edited by NWN_babaYaga

You think only West is the only 'culture' that fcouses on sex. Every cultture does. Even the ones that claim they don't. They're flat out lying. Children aren't brought by a stork you know.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I know i´m right and i dont care about you picking out one little thing and playing cool now. Go on with your stuff and dont cry when this stuff gets out of control. But when one is uneducated he should just say ok i have no clue what you are talking about but maybe you have a point... knowledge is power!

Edited by NWN_babaYaga

Yknow, and this is potentially opening a can of worms:

I wonder if Obsidian's own developers would be willing to comment on the matter. I ask that both because I'm curious what they have to say about it and respect their opinions. If they said "yo Silverstring media is DA BOMB" or something then I'd be willing to hear them out as to why. Same for if they said "yo SilverString media is bats*** crazy." I'd also be curious as to if they'd have any insight as to what exactly is going on; they'd have more of a direct involvement with the game development culture and could probably explain some things about why people are acting certain ways in response to certain situations etc.

At any rate I wouldn't wanna force them to comment if they don't want to, since there seems to be a lot of that. I just mean I think it'd be interesting to hear from Obsidian on the matter because it's quite easy to hear "random game developer #54 who you've never heard of has this opinion about gamergate," but it's another thing to hear commentary or observations from devs you're more familiar with.

I hope they don't, because a) it helps nobody, and b) they will be wrong anyway, doesn't matter what will be said. So it's better if they just remain silent. It doesn't really affect them anyway, in a business kind of way.

• Like 3

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

It is a lose/lose for Obsidian to comment. If they are proGG then they piss the press and possibly the publishers off. If they are antiGG then they potentially lose fans. The fact that they let us discuss this in their forums is more than enough IMHO.

Pretty much. Although I think the press already receives Obsidian games unfairly, and I'm willing to bet PoE will get trashed for some bizare reasons.

It is a lose/lose for Obsidian to comment. If they are proGG then they piss the press and possibly the publishers off. If they are antiGG then they potentially lose fans. The fact that they let us discuss this in their forums is more than enough IMHO.

In my opinion it's that very lack of communication that's allowing this to fester and continue. Nobody's speaking their minds, nobody says what they want and thus the conflict continues as everyone probes everyone else for information.

Mind you I'm not saying it's Obsidian's responsibility to fix that, I simply mean I kinda disagree with many of the comments here saying they should keep quiet on the grounds of the dangers of commenting. If they want to, do so. If they don't, that's fine too. But don't let fear of upsetting people prevent productive discussion. That's the EXACT attitude Anita and co. have that we all hate so much. "We can't let them comment cause they might include triggers or offensive terms." So instead let's just not discuss things with each other ever and secretly dictate what we think of the other group amongst ourselves for all eternity? Yeah, that'll end well...

Again, that's not so much directed at obsidian, I mean it in general. I think in general this fear controlling the industry needs to stop if we're to move forward. Anita herself and her videos is a broken record and beating a dead horse, because every video contains factual flaws that no one's allowed to address or discuss directly because she blocks comments. Lo and behold, her videos remain the same as the response videos remain the same: pretentious inaccurate lectures vs. frustrated and irritated rebuttals til the end of time. If discussion does not occur in gamer gate between gamers and people "within" the industry, be they developers or journalists or SJWs, then I'm sure this'll continue with the two groups hiding away in their own little corner discussing how insane each other is.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

If we were talking about the big AAA publishers I would agree. They have power that they don't use. Them stepping out for or against GG could change the tide of the battle. Obsidian is one of the few middle developers left in the world. The middle class developers died or were bought up the last 10-15 years or so. EA bought a lot of them.

I see MS, EA, Activision, ubisoft, sony, Nintendo, etc because their ad money is what pays the bills for the media. If they stood up together with gamers then the media would almost have to change. If they stood against it then it would probably have little effect on their bottom line.

I don't disagree that GG needs industry support, but Obsidian isn't the right people for it. I agree with KaineParker that the media already treats Obsidian unfairly. I think it is because Obsidian is already one of the most "artistic" developers, but not pushing the "right" message with their writing gifts.