One small but important problem with the beta no one seems to mention: WASD.

Arsene Lupin

Maybe this is too trivial for its own thread; maybe not.

There are two axial command sets in the game: camera movement and game speed. I think we can all agree that, by far, players will be moving the camera far more than adjusting the game speed.

Fewer than 1 out of 5 humans are left-handed. Ignoring my fellow ambidexes, this means we can expect the majority of PoE players to play the game with their right hand on the mouse, and the left hand resting at WASD/space.

It would therefore be logical to have the default keybindings set so that WASD control the camera, and the arrow keys (or, alternatively, QE) the game's speed. Instead of the reverse, as is currently the case.

And yes, I realize we can rebind keys (though it doesn't quite work in the current build) but we should not have to. The default key bindings should always be the most accessible to the greatest number of players.

• Like 2

Actually, I'm left handed and I still use WASD. :)

me too. I wouldn't have a problem with that. Practice over the years makes the master, whatever they throw at us lefties, we'll deal with it. :)

Personally, I prefer to have my cursor free to interact with the game world instead of constantly dashing it to the peripheral edges of the screen. Its more efficient. Also, mouse look tends to be too sensitive, and therefore imprecise, for my tastes.

• Like 2

I normally just use edge scrolling in IE games, but since this is currently a bit broken for multi-monitor setups in PoE, I've been using the keyboard. Rebinding to WASD works fine for me. It's even saving the setting now, which it wasn't doing in the first build.

Remap the controls to WASD youself, simple.

I don't want those keys on WASD even though I use WASD for FPS and stuff.

How about WASD to be the default and you rebind them if you wish to use other keys?

For someone who made a case about the "ergonomic" aspect of the game with its awkward positioning of the combat log (because the majority read from left to right), moving the camera with other keys than WASD or mouse does not feel wrong to you?

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

Remap the controls to WASD youself, simple.

I don't want those keys on WASD even though I use WASD for FPS and stuff.

How about WASD to be the default and you rebind them if you wish to use other keys?

For someone who made a case about the "ergonomic" aspect of the game with its awkward positioning of the combat log (because the majority read from left to right), moving the camera with other keys than WASD or mouse does not feel wrong to you?

WASD for camera make sense only if you feel that WASD- keys should be default way to control camera, but if should be default camera controlling tool, then it makes more sense that WASD (or more precisely QWERTASDFGZXCV) -keys are by default used for some other actions than camera controls. Using by default two most convenient controls to do same thing is some what waste, especially when game has tons of other actions that could be binded to those controls.

• Like 3

Personally, I used the following remappings

WASD = Camera

Crtl+A = Attack (currently bugged, so Z for now)

Page up / Page Down / Home = Speed up, speed down, normal speed

B = Spellbook

E = Chant Editor

I would take a page out of BG:EE here, and have one key open either the spellbook or the chant editor, depending on class.

As long as I can rebind anything I want , I don't particular care what's the default scheme even if it's the worse thing in the world like A for Inventory, M for Spells, W for Map, % for Journal and Right Shift + Numpad Minus for pause.

Edited by Headbomb

WASD for camera make sense only if you feel that WASD- keys should be default way to control camera, but if you feel that mouse should be default camera controlling tool

Text written with red is missing from my previous post because of human error. I think that I should stop writing my posts with my cell phone, as I seem to so often do big editing mistakes with it that I usually notice after I can't any more edit my posts :)

Actually, I'm left handed and I still use WASD. :)

I'm ambiscrollorous. I can use WASD and edge scrolling with equal skill.

Also left handed.

• Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Personally, I prefer to have my cursor free to interact with the game world instead of constantly dashing it to the peripheral edges of the screen. Its more efficient. Also, mouse look tends to be too sensitive, and therefore imprecise, for my tastes.

Have you tried using the middle mouse click to grab and move the screen?