The Funny Things Thread

Rosbjerg

It's too fancy for me. I'm all about the jeans, black T-shirts and wake-up hair.

No way! I am never not wearing jeans. Even my pajama pants are denim. Okay not really, they're flannel, but one or two of my Lucky's are super soft Italian denim I could totally sleep in. 

All Stop. On Screen.

It's too fancy for me. I'm all about the jeans, black T-shirts and wake-up hair.

Naw, man, that's too much effort - washed out jeans and flannel shirt in the morning. You only get wake-up hair if you bother with haircuts, and that's way too corporate for me man. Chicks dig long hair!

I get way worse wake-up hair with long hair. It gets so tangled I'm practically waking up with braids. :( S'why I get it cut nowadays, long hair was a huge hassle.

njksz8svgwir3gr2lta4.jpg

Last week, the top movie was American Sniper.

Next week, the top movie will be 50 Shades.

Thank you, SpongeBob, for being such a sweet little guy and giving us a break from two major blockbusters that glorify sociopaths.

It's like you're the cheese in a douchebag sandwich. No one think too hard about that.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Heh.

io9 - Someone is writing the ultimate generic dystopian young adult novel

wuy2s8zdtfcidesklvxz.jpg

We love young adult science fiction, but even we have to admit that sometimes, it can feel like dystopian novels are following a bit script. The new Twitter account @DystopianYA is poking a bit of fun at some of the more common conventions of the genre.

Writer and comedian Dana Schwartz is behind the @DystopianYA Twitter account, and, as a big fan of the genre, I'm having a lot of fun following her tweets. Remember folks, the problem isn't tropes themselves; it's how you use them.

Along with such gems as:

• I didn't know that I was born to be different.
  • People from This Category haven't gotten along with people from That Category. Well, not since the Civil Schism.
  • It's not Communism if none of us call it Communism.
  • "Are you Valentine Neverwoods?" She asked with a stern tone. I nodded slowly. "I usually go by Val," I said.
  • I just feel like there should be MORE beyond this gated community none of us have ever ventured beyond.
  • My sister Harpa played with her hair. In a lot of ways, she reminds me of a metaphor for my childhood innocence.
  • "Anthem!" I cried out, "Your rebellious sacrifice isn't worth it!" Anthem looked back at me. "You're worth everything to me, Val."
  • Adults don't understand. All they've learned is how to go about their days without questioning anything.
  • I have gangly limbs and a feminine form just beginning to take shape. I'm not beautiful, but my green eyes are nice.
  • Adolescence is a confusing time to discover my own identity. Good thing the Infallible System will determine my identity for me.
  • You'd think a first love would distract me from taking down the Corrupt System, but you'd be wrong.
  • None of us remember what it was like in the Before Time. I think they called it "America"
  • I'm plain looking and shy. There's no way two guys would be fighting for my love right? This world is more confusing than it first appeared.
  • It's the night before my 17th birthday, which means in a few hours, I'll have to face the mysterious Test to determine my future.
  • All of this superficial entertainment and technology is trying to trick us into being happy, even though we can't be individuals.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

1422841192445.gif

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling