Pretty disappointed, this launches in December?

khermann

That's really rich coming from you. All this time I thought "retarded" was one of your favorite pejoratives.

I just want this game to be the best it can be. I wouldn't waste my time on these forums if the game was released in disastrous state and therefore couldn't be substantially improved anymore.

BTW Feel free to make a list of my post where I have insulted the developers or any of the other fans. Have fun.

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

The Beta of Wasteland 2 launched last year in December and the final game will be released in September.

Perhaps the Beta of Pillars of Eternity will also last for 9 Months if its needed. They never announced a final release date for the full game because it depends how well the beta runs.

@Helm:

"He is wrong though"

No, he is not wrong, he's just an as*hole.

He's got his opinion of who I am and how I should mamage my experience with the beta and he is totally entitled to them.

I have the freedom to do whatever I want in this respect.

I don't see a problem.

Edited: words

Edited by khermann
  • Like 2

So let me try this again. I apologize in advance for the cynicism below, but I am compelled to say my piece.

This game is supposed to launch at the end of the year, is that right? "Winter 2014" , "December 2014"

I can't see how that is possible given where the game is at today.

Bugs, giant, glaring, basic gameplay bugs are everywhere. Subscribe to the Bug forum and you'll see, or better yet, just play the game. I'm old by gamer standards, older than some of the developers, and I've playtested my share of games. I expected more from a game that is only a few months away from release, a lot more.

It's impossible to play the game and feel like the backers are THE QA for this game, yet we're not even given a bugtracker, only a forum that buries threads in to oblivion.

The fit and finish is abysmal for a beta, in my opinion, with notable exception to the obviously heavy investment in aesthetic backgrounds and some assets. There obviously has been a heavy emphasis on developing the story archs and dialogs, too, which is great. But having core mechanical issues like pathfinding, from this team, is hard to excuse - this should be a slam dunk, not to say that pathfinding is easy, but look at who we're talking about here... this should have been a priority.

The outdoor scale is off. I know IW games don't do 1:1 scaling in outdoor environments but it is just off, walking around town feels like a group of giants romping around a dollhouse-scaled town. I may be in the vast minority in this, but for me it's enough to disrupt immersion. 

The feeling I get is that the development has wandered down paths of priorities that they were most interested in, making "cool looking stuff" and "cool stories" - which is awesome! Don't get me wrong, but while working hard to generate content, the game mechanics have been relegated to "just do enough so we can see our content, we'll work out the playability issues later once we get our playtesters (backers) in"

I hate to sound so cynical, I want this game to be a huge success, but I'm not really interested in struggling through broken game after broken game the throwing "bug reports" down a forum black-hole. I would be spending almost as much time documenting problems as I would playing. I didn't back this game for the "insider" honor to be a primary playtester and bug reporter.

So take this all as "wah wah don't play if you can't handle it and don't want to contribute to the quality of the game" (thought I already HAVE contributed to the quality of the game, quite a lot, thank you very much), or, to be more fair : that I'm simply not a good candidate for this backer beta and am disappointed with the technical acumen applied thus far to the mechanics and stability so close to release.

I hope the team is skilled and managed well enough to get in the coverage needed before launch .. from my perspective, however, it doesn't look promising. I truly hope I am surprised and would be so delighted to be wrong.

I'll probably check back in after a patch or two, but until we get a bugtracker and the game isn't constantly telling me to search the bug forum, see if the bug has been reported, and enter a 'new'  bug or add to that thread, I simply won't be participating in bug reports.

Good luck everyone, for what it's worth the parts of the game that do work predictably I am reasonably pleased with it and the content.

Hey there khermann, my thoughts are not dissimilar to yours.

What I really find interesting though is the reactions this thread has gotten over 3 pages and change. I created a very similar thread shortly after the beta was released, and was pretty much raked over the coals for it. I was called the "biggest drama queen on the forum" by one thoughtful poster, and it was insinuated by several others that my intelligence was... lacking.

So here you are, making a very similar assertion. And while not everyone agrees with you, plenty do, and no one really seems to be openly challenging you much less insulting you. So I'm wondering if your forum name and avatar (Jesus with a big ole gun) are somehow my favorable than mine, or if I simply made the mistake of calling these concerns out before everyone's optimism-meters had had a chance to catch up with reality?

This is more of a rhetorical question, really. Don't mind me or my ruminations.

• Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

I'm disappointed there isn't a codpiece equipment slot.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm disappointed there isn't a codpiece equipment slot.

I need a place to equip my big metal unit.

Codpiece mounted revolver or GTFO.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Seriously, how can game dev's resist codpiece gear? It's like a necklace for your junk.

I have many, many references to "codpiece of smite" in the lore at my gaming community forum.

If only a game would make it real. The closest we've ever gotten was Conan.

Must be an ESRB thing?

Edit: added the esrb line

Edited by khermann

What I really find interesting though is the reactions this thread has gotten over 3 pages and change. I created a very similar thread shortly after the beta was released, and was pretty much raked over the coals for it. I was called the "biggest drama queen on the forum" by one thoughtful poster, and it was insinuated by several others that my intelligence was... lacking.

Nope, you're still a big old drama queen. As is the OP in this case.

I feel quite strongly that attempting to gauge readiness for December release before we've even seen the first beta update is completely unwarranted speculation, but if you fellas want to waste your time on such things, be my guest.

As has been noted many times, this forum is here for people to say what they like within the bounds of reasonable civility.

• Like 3

I have the freedom to do whatever I want in this respect.

Yes, you do. Criticize on, bro.  :thumbsup:

We're doing everyone a favor by helping obsdian to improve this game.

EDIT: I just read his last post again. I had liked it, which was a mistake. I missed the last line of it. Sorry about that. He is indeed wrong and it is out of place to call you an idiot for your opinion and constructive criticism.

Edited by Helm
  • Like 2

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

If we are indeed playing something a month or more out of date, then I would call it a backer dog and pony show, not a beta.

To be honest, it does not feel worthy of a beta and is hopefully nowhere near feature complete (speaking to game mechanics).

I will not call results of this a failure yet, as it is too early to say, but I decided several days ago to stop playing until the game is patched, it is currently UNFUN with the number of bugs that I have encountered.

Hopefully Obsidian takes the time to get a good stable version ready before release. Since this was crowd-funded, they do not have an outside publisher to push it out the door before ti's ready but I suppose it could still happen.

• Like 1

So much drama going on, if we wait a bit and see a few patches in how much they fix we will get a general feeling about how much they can do before the winter. I've played more bugged out betas than this and they turned out playable for release. Only Obsidian know how much they can do in how much time. 

• Like 1

For me, as long as they can fix these things I'll start testing more:

1. Items "poofing"

2. Quests "poofing"

3. Effects stacking like crazy

These are hopefully all related to save/load issues - My hope is that they can be fixed in the first patch. I don't agree with their decision on releasing the beta with these issues known, but I guess they wanted to get it to us ASAP so we would catch other stuff to help them with.  I feel more like this is an Alpha over a beta with these particular bugs present.

Where the game is now, I'm just not patient enough to test it further right now - I guess I'm not a good tester! I did report a few things, but with all the bug spam on the forums it's hard to know if what I'm reporting is even worth it. It would be great if they would keep updating the known issues list to reflect all the bugs people have reported or just have a better system for bug reporting in general.

I still love you Obsidian, I just have to wait a bit to test further, sorry!

Edited by Azureblaze

Hey, I resent that! I mean, I'm not that old!

I concede you could be both young and small.

Also, my use of "queen" is not intended to disparage or imply membership in any particular gender -- either biological or self-identified.

Edited by Flow

Hey, I resent that! I mean, I'm not that old!

I concede you could be both young and small.

Also, my use of "queen" is not intended to disparage or imply membership in any particular gender -- either biological or self-identified.

Well, I'm older than I wish I was. A touch bigger than I probably ought to be. My wife will tell you that I'm not queen, and she would know better than anyone.

So that just leaves one other item potentially in dispute. And I guess I can't deny that I sometimes have a flare for the dramatic, though I would contend that a lot of the people who have directed their rage at me have been far more dramatic in their responses than I was in my initial statement.

Conclusion: dramatic, but not any more so than pleeeenty of other posters around here.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

So much drama going on, if we wait a bit and see a few patches in how much they fix we will get a general feeling about how much they can do before the winter. I've played more bugged out betas than this and they turned out playable for release. Only Obsidian know how much they can do in how much time. 

I agree. But as I've stated in the past, I personally have no problem should game release be postponed for a month or so.

All I want is what all of you want: a great game (that works :p )

• Like 1

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

It seems they're pretty committed to releasing this year.

Wow. So this most definitely isn't a question of If they're going to release it this year, but very much WHEN they're releasing it this year. And even more interesting is that the release date seems to be dependent on when Bioware is going to release DA:I.

I wonder if we can just mod in the IE item sketches..

You mean the BG series Item sketches. (Only the BG series had them) Indeed. They were a minor thing but they were so very cool. Edited by Stun
  • Like 1

Yeah, I think this year is pretty definitive.  I hope this next patch is a huge difference, or we these forums will get rowdy. 

Also, Feargus, if you read this.... I am one of the 17.  Make a Weird West game.  I hate Zombies (I will still back the heck out of it), but we need a game that is 100% cRPG in a different setting than we have seen (although pillars is in a different setting...  I mean in a really different setting). 

• Like 2

Yeah, I think this year is pretty definitive.  I hope this next patch is a huge difference, or we these forums will get rowdy. 

agreed on the potential board implosion. at the moment, a december release of a stable and polished product strikes us as optimistic bit o' prognosticating at best, but we got no idea how much progress is being made on bug hunting. currently, we would describe the game as unplayable in any meaningful sense, but it is beta and the majority o' problems we has observed appear to have been known issues. am gonna be patient, but am doubting our patience lasts much past a major patch.

heck, we still don't have a meaningful talents catalog.

as for future games, Gromnir has frequent pushed the idea o' a kinda pony-express time period game (admitted a very limited window) set in US mid west or south west but with magic n' such. that being said, we has never been a fan o' zombies, and the past decade has solidified that distaste into something approaching genuine loathing.

*shrug*

regardless, end o' 2014 is not all that far away when one is speaking o' game developments. how many folks is gonna be working 18 hour days and sleeping at office to make winter 2014 a reality? next patch should be a good indicator.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)