The state of Feminism, the good the bad

BruceVC

You know what the average feminist these days might say about this thread? "Oh look a bunch of straight white men are mansplaining something to me. lulz, *ignore*"

And don't even try to rationalize how that's ok to say as long as the target is straight white man. You either treat people equally or you don't. Period.

Edited by Fighter
  • Like 1

Feminism is like Islam in that the whackjob extremists go on their whackjob tirades, and there is little to no condemnation by the average moderates, so the whackjob extremists are perceived as the norm.

This, this, a thousand times this. Thought I support gender equality, I would never identify myself a feminist because the hardcore feminists have simply ruined the meaning of that word. It instantly polarizes and demonizes, removes gender equality over gender superiority and ruins all possible intelligent discussion.

• Like 1

Feminism is like Islam in that the whackjob extremists go on their whackjob tirades, and there is little to no condemnation by the average moderates, so the whackjob extremists are perceived as the norm.

This, this, a thousand times this. Thought I support gender equality, I would never identify myself a feminist because the hardcore feminists have simply ruined the meaning of that word. It instantly polarizes and demonizes, removes gender equality over gender superiority and ruins all possible intelligent discussion.

I guess gender egalitarian would be a lebal that I would prefer to use.

I used to believe that moderates didn't condemn the crazies because they didn't want to alienate themselves within the group, now I wonder if just because they are afraid of them.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I used to believe that moderates didn't condemn the crazies because they didn't want to alienate themselves within the group, now I wonder if just because they are afraid of them.

With Islam there's the threat of decapitation... with feminism, there's really no excuse.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/27/6075679/sarkeesian-driven-out-of-home-by-online-abuse-and-death-threats

I really think that this dislike of Anita Sarkeesian is going to far, seriously guys I get some you don't like her but when a person doesn't feel safe in there home due to Internet harassment we should be asking  WTF is going on. People don't like the message, so whats the solution? I know...we kill the messenger. Its sad that some men feel so threatened by her that they want to do her actual harm :down:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/27/6075679/sarkeesian-driven-out-of-home-by-online-abuse-and-death-threats

I really think that this dislike of Anita Sarkeesian is going to far, seriously guys I get some you don't like her but when a person doesn't feel safe in there home due to Internet harassment we should be asking  WTF is going on. People don't like the message, so whats the solution? I know...we kill the messenger. Its sad that some men feel so threatened by her that they want to do her actual harm :down:

Why are you responding to people like myself - who provide perfectly valid criticisms and reasons to dislike her - by throwing us in the same category as people who are obviously scum?

Listen in my last post I left this out cause it's irrelevant to the feminism cause, but the woman is dishonest and opportunistic. She's lied about her past and has - on multiple occassions - used misleading representations of games to promote her agenda. Obsidian's very own Fallout New Vegas got targeted by her as an example of "using women as decoration and not as characters." It doesn't get a long explanation mind you, but you'll find female hookers from the game appearing in a montage of "guilty parties," along with a claim that using violence against women or such sexually objectified characters isn't discouraged and in some cases rewarded. Nevermind that you can walk in the Gomorrah and quickly discover male prostitutes aswell, nevermind that the very example clip she showed CONVENIENTLY cuts off before Freeside blows her head off for killing a hooker, and doesn't even address the bad karma alert.

She's a child. If she's serious about making a point, don't be a lying snake. Mind you I'm not referring her claiming to have grown up on games; I think while that's certainly relevant it gets more focus than it warrants. The misleading citations though? GTFO. Girl is clearly proud of her college life, she should know not to have sloppy citations. I legitimately question what her motive is. I personally think she knows damned well she's misleading people, but she's just sloppily tossing together the videos to complete her kickstarter end of the bargain so she can enjoy the money.

So yeah, she's a joke. She's not someone that ANYONE should be taking seriously, and as such anytime I hear her say something like that I can't help but wonder if some commentator on the internet said "fk u bish go make a sammich before I slap you" and then OMG TIME TO CHANGE THE LOCKS ON THE DOORS!! Welcome to the internet Anita. I can log into any multiplayer game with voicechat right now and randomly get called a **** just for talking. Pro-tip: don't take that stuff serious and ignore those people.

If you really care about feminism? You'd be wise not to defend her. She's a liability to the cause.

• Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Why are you responding to people like myself - who provide perfectly valid criticisms and reasons to dislike her - by throwing us in the same category as people who are obviously scum?

Listen in my last post I left this out cause it's irrelevant to the feminism cause, but the woman is dishonest and opportunistic. She's lied about her past and has - on multiple occassions - used misleading representations of games to promote her agenda. Obsidian's very own Fallout New Vegas got targeted by her as an example of "using women as decoration and not as characters." It doesn't get a long explanation mind you, but you'll find female hookers from the game appearing in a montage of "guilty parties," along with a claim that using violence against women or such sexually objectified characters isn't discouraged and in some cases rewarded. Nevermind that you can walk in the Gomorrah and quickly discover male prostitutes aswell, nevermind that the very example clip she showed CONVENIENTLY cuts off before Freeside blows her head off for killing a hooker, and doesn't even address the bad karma alert.

She's a child. If she's serious about making a point, don't be a lying snake. Mind you I'm not referring her claiming to have grown up on games; I think while that's certainly relevant it gets more focus than it warrants. The misleading citations though? GTFO. Girl is clearly proud of her college life, she should know not to have sloppy citations. I legitimately question what her motive is. I personally think she knows damned well she's misleading people, but she's just sloppily tossing together the videos to complete her kickstarter end of the bargain so she can enjoy the money.

So yeah, she's a joke. She's not someone that ANYONE should be taking seriously, and as such anytime I hear her say something like that I can't help but wonder if some commentator on the internet said "fk u bish go make a sammich before I slap you" and then OMG TIME TO CHANGE THE LOCKS ON THE DOORS!! Welcome to the internet Anita. I can log into any multiplayer game with voicechat right now and randomly get called a **** just for talking. Pro-tip: don't take that stuff serious and ignore those people.

If you really care about feminism? You'd be wise not to defend her. She's a liability to the cause.

I do care about feminism and its objectives, but I don't always agree with what Anita says. Or rather I question how effective her strategy is as it alienates certain moderates.

But none of this is justification for her detractors threatening her with physical violence or saying things like " she needs to be raped, that will sort her out "

The level of misogyny and vitriol directed towards her by some is appalling and unacceptable

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Would be funny if these were faked. Especially with her asking for donations shortly after by coincidence.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I feel for her if it is a real threat. If someone threatened me using my real address where I live it would be deeply uncomfortable even if I thought it was all talk. However the people who think they can rid the internet of every nutjob is living in a fantasy land. This should not be used a crutch to shut people up or paint them with the same brush as some out there are already doing.

Edited by Fighter

I did like one of the responses that said something along the lines of " I'm being threatened and need to call the cops, better Tweet about it". 
While yes, I agree that someone making serious threats (e.g: family names, addresses, ect) over the web would unnerve me; she just took a very dramatic measure. The bad is that I don't know if it was out of genuine concern or out of playing the victim. I guess that's what happens when you cry wolf one too many times.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Ok, that's what I call a goddamn liar, anyone who played FNV knows this is bull****, and any obsidian fan should be pissed about this.

I'm sorry but she's a bad person, a liar and manipulator, I have no sympathy for her at all and I don't care about the alleged threats, I don't belive a word from her without hard evidence, period.

• Like 1

there is a very simple rule a normal person has. If you were being raped you talk to police and family. NOT in public. If you recieve serious threats you go to police and give them evidence...otherwise you interfere in the investigation. But no... brain function does not work by these people.. no brain more to gain ya know!

thats all they produce. Dont use your brain actually and make big piblicity. I was being virtually raped hell no... realy ? what is virtual rape and death ?

Ok, that's what I call a goddamn liar, anyone who played FNV knows this is bull****, and any obsidian fan should be pissed about this.

I'm sorry but she's a bad person, a liar and manipulator, I have no sympathy for her at all and I don't care about the alleged threats, I don't belive a word from her without hard evidence, period.

Wait, what? Fallout New Vegas got called out as treating women as decoration? The game with 3 very fleshed out female companions, many well written female NPCs, and that lets you play as a female character? Wow, that is ****. Not only is it lazy, but it is a lie.

When someone spreads false information like this, they need to be called out on their Bull****. Calling someone a liar when they have lied is the just course of action.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Wait, what? Fallout New Vegas got called out as treating women as decoration? The game with 3 very fleshed out female companions, many well written female NPCs, and that lets you play as a female character? Wow, that is ****. Not only is it lazy, but it is a lie.

When someone spreads false information like this, they need to be called out on their Bull****. Calling someone a liar when they have lied is the just course of action.

KP I want to ask you something, what exactly is your issue with people who espouse  SJ values? I'm genuinely interested because you often seem to mention how you dislike SJW?

John Milton 

Yeah man, Veronica was so happy when I got her a dress.

Okay isn't this a good thing? Its the type of realistic reaction you expect when you buy your girlfriend or wife a present?

John Milton 

Yeah, I will never understand her supporters and how they look the other way when she flat out lies, we're all obsidian fans here I assume, we love their games and FNV is in my top faves of all time, and it pisses me off to hear these lies and misrepresentations.

like Totalbiscuit said in his twitter "Justice through lies and abuse is not Justice"  I would say is the opposite of justice, personally that's my problem with SJW on the internet and why I will never be onboard with them.

KP I want to ask you something, what exactly is your issue with people who espouse SJ values? I'm genuinely interested because you often seem to mention how you dislike SJW?
I dislike them because of they are ineffective keyboard warriors who ignore real issues in favor of sensationalist tripe, and insult and try to silence or discredit anyone who doesn't share their opinions. Edited by KaineParker
  • Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Yeah, I will never understand her supporters and how they look the other way when she flat out lies, we're all obsidian fans here I assume, we love their games and FNV is in my top faves of all time, and it pisses me off to hear these lies and misrepresentations.

like Totalbiscuit said in his twitter "Justice through lies and abuse is not Justice" I would say is the opposite of justice, personally that's my problem with SJW on the internet and why I will never be onboard with them.

They've decided that she is right and will accept what she has to say no matter what. If you want to make a point about games treating women as little more than scenery, it would help if you singled out games that actually do that.

KP I want to ask you something, what exactly is your issue with people who espouse SJ values? I'm genuinely interested because you often seem to mention how you dislike SJW?
I dislike them because of they are ineffective keyboard warriors who ignore real issues in favor of sensationalist tripe, and insult and try to silence or discredit anyone who doesn't share their opinions.

But you obviously realize the SJ movement and campaigns consist of millions of people throughout the world. You've only experienced the views of a few small percentage of the total number of people who support SJ causes. How can you make such a generalized statement about such a diverse group, surly you can see what is wrong with that type of blanket statement?

John Milton 

But you obviously realize the SJ movement and campaigns consist of millions of people throughout the world. You've only experienced the views of a few small percentage of the total number of people who support SJ causes. How can you make such a generalized statement about such a diverse group, surly you can see what is wrong with that type of blanket statement?

*Sigh*

Suggesting that the "Ban Bossy" and Anita 'n' Kotaku brands of activism belongs in the same category as human rights groups is a bit delduded, and frankly a bit insulting to the latter. I would wager most of us who show distaste towards SJWs are referring to the highly antagonistic folks who subscribe to the former groups mentioned in the previous sentence.

• Like 1