[Possible Spoilers] Pillars of Eternity will be livestreamed at Gamescom

Yeah, and the female models for pretty much EVERY class in all the BG's and IWD's had gigantic boobs (2/3rd's exposed boobs and exposed thighs if you weren't wearing heavy armor) and the whole deal.

Edited my post to show the contrast between the two models.

Actually read my post next time before coming charging in with your social justice warrior hat on.

Don't lay that liberal junk on me, I'm just grateful the females in PoE don't all seem to be strippers that got lost on the way to "Sexcon 1410" like they usually are. If that means they have virtually no "feminine" features like protruding boobs, hips or butts while in armor and no cleavage while in casual dress I will be happy as a clam. The fantasy genre has as bad a track record with women as it does with religion, which burns me just as bad.

EDIT: In the side by side comparison you posted a couple posts above this, I'd be fine with either. But you do realize that men who are physically fit have larger/wider chests than women, right? We're a lot bigger framed regardless, even.

Edited by Panteleimon
  • Like 1

It is important to be able to distinguish both race and gender IMO.

One of the nice things that the IE games also did was have different "looks" for different character subtypes. There was a Fighter, Thief, Cleric and Wizard male and female model. This made it very easy to distinguish all of the characters you made in the party.

There was some overlapping with Dwarf and Gnome models (and only the 1PP mod makes female dwarves different from male), but it was one of the fantastic things about the IE art style.

Some of this will be lost in translation for PE due to budgetary reasons, but I just think that with the plate armor, the female version looks silly, in comparison to what the female model looks like with chain mail on, and what the male plate armor looks like.

Don't lay that liberal junk on me, I'm just grateful the females in PoE don't all seem to be strippers that got lost on the way to "Sexcon 1410" like they usually are. If that means they have virtually no "feminine" features like protruding boobs, hips or butts while in armor and no cleavage while in casual dress I will be happy as a clam. The fantasy genre has as bad a track record with women as it does with religion, which burns me just as bad.

You saw the word boobs once and jumped on what I said, without reading my reasonings. I think I raise a very valid concern, but you have a right not to care about it.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

To further drive my point home, here is the MALE and FEMALE versions of Plate

Untit46464ed.jpg

The male version has a proper curve, and the female version is completely flat

Is the artist trolling?

Use the same curve on the female, and bob's your uncle.

Well, judging from direction of face, male aumau isn't looking straight towards screen while female godlike is looking straight at screen. So maybe its actually illusion caused by perspective?

Anyway, plate mail should be identical to both male and female gender, but I do agree that if female platemail is flatter than male one, then it seems to be result of over caution. Either way, I don't mind, better to have over caution than D&D fantasy armor for females.

Edited by BrokenMask
  • Like 1

One of the nice things that the IE games also did was have different "looks" for different character subtypes. There was a Fighter, Thief, Cleric and Wizard male and female model. This made it very easy to distinguish all of the characters you made in the party.

There was some overlapping with Dwarf and Gnome models (and only the 1PP mod makes female dwarves different from male), but it was one of the fantastic things about the IE art style.

Some of this will be lost in translation for PE due to budgetary reasons, but I just think that with the plate armor, the female version looks silly, in comparison to what the female model looks like with chain mail on, and what the male plate armor looks like.

You saw the word boobs once and jumped on what I said, without reading my reasonings. I think I raise a very valid concern, but you have a right not to care about it.

Good thing Obsidian still has 4+ months to make changes then ;)

Dang it, accidentally pressed wrong post's quote button <_< Too used to quote button being on top of the post and not bottom

Anyway, fixed my previous post now that it makes sense xP I gave my two cents on the male/female armor difference in comparison Sensuki provided

You can differentiate between the male and female model due to waist and the skirt. :shrugz:

Tell me that the difference between these two models is not retarded?

jarring.jpg

It's like they went: "we want to have big boobed females, but because the Obsidian forums complained about boob plate, we'll give them the flattest plate armor possible" to try and not offend any of you anti boob-plate people (which clearly there are a lot of)

That's just dumb.

FTR: I think boob-plate is silly too, but I think that the stark difference between the chain model and the plate model is pretty ridiculous.

I think they need to alter the curve of the plate a bit (more like the male) and then it would look like exactly the same model in different armor rather than "I had breast cancer".

That might be a stupid nit pick, but you better get used to it, because I'm going to nit pick anything I think is wrong (selection circles is another gripe of mine that most people probably don't care about).

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

You can differentiate between the male and female model due to waist and the skirt. :shrugz:

Tell me that the difference between these two models is not retarded?

jarring.jpg

Boobs are really malleable so if you wear plate mail they will fit even if they are as huge as in that pic :p

But yeah, my response in last page can be applied ot these pics as well, the Godlike on left isn't looking at straight at screen while one on right is. I can see your confusion though since those braests ARE huge, but like I said, boobs are really malleable

Assuming of course I'm right about perspective <_< I could be wrong and sideway view could show that the plate is indeed flat. To me the plate does look curved, but perspective makes it seem odd

Edited by BrokenMask
  • Like 2

I absolutely read your reasoning of wanting to be able to easily differentiate between classes, races and genders readily. But I care more about having respectable, realistic female armor than I do about that. So we're just on different pages, it seems.

As to the difference between the female chain and plate armor, I can only say that one hangs off the chest ,the other does not. I look bigger in a muscle T-shirt than I do in modern ceramic armor.

Edited by Panteleimon
  • Like 2

:p no offense to Adam, but I watched him play something several months ago, I think it was Icewind Dale, and he wasn't very good at that either. I said it above, but your party has been waylaid and you must defend yourself!

Positive things I liked from the quick video: Totally captured the look and feel of the old games, and made it a little shinier and new. Very nice portraits! I liked the text and layout of the text boxes and ui.  I dig having the icon's in close proximity to each other without having to click and move a bunch of screen space, though I would rather it pop's up about 40% faster.  Really a fan of the resting at the inn giving bonuses for extended stay and curious to see how that works or how it impacts you if you don't use it.  Also liked the encyclopedia monster's compendium thingy so you kill stuff and learn more about them, or your lore score helps tell you info about the creature to help you prepare for an encounter with them.  The inn felt spacious and unlike many of the previous screenshots of interior's didn't feel crammed.  I loved that the characters can have a mixture of taller or shorter characters. (I think the Godlike characters were almost a foot taller than the rest.)  I liked the UI icon's of the players heads showing in the corner of the screen indicating who was off screen. I really appreciate the ability to zoom in or out on screen, I wonder how this will look on larger screens?  I like that the game will actually be challenging.  I like having running water!  At first listen, I kind of like the battle music, though I feel like it's a bit too repetitive.

Stuff I think was not as great that could use some polish before release, but doesn't suck: The voice sets need a lot more variety. The second playthrough the male's voice already got on my nerves in like 7 seconds because he keeps saying the same thing every time you click. (It's like a kid standing by you saying mom, mom, mom, mom, mom, etc.) There should be a min of 3 different responses, or at the very least have like 3 variations of the same phrase.  The avatar's head's are not in scale to their body's, so it looks wonky. I'd rather they just make the character model like 10% bigger and call it a day.  Animations of thing's like the deer needs tweaked. They ran around like a mouse on crack and stopped on a dime.  (Just a personal preference on sound design, it sounds professional- just some of the sounds don't feel like they fit in the atmosphere or environment. There's a disconnect. You know like in the BG game's when you click on an armor it makes like a sound of metal or thud when you drop it. Stuff like that felt absent from this demo.) There's some immersion breaking with the NPC's in the Inn, when you're on the outside is beautiful and sunny, yet there's people huddled around the hearth warming their hands inside the inn. Everything looks beautiful and it's a nice touch, but really awkward in the context of what's going on around it. Use that model elsewhere in the game where it makes sense.

...Not a huge deal, but I wish there was one more line of the battle text - or a little more padding on the edges to have contrast to assist in reading. Similarly, the white text on the light wood background could use more contrast to assist in reading in certain screen's. Monster's and player NPC's do not seem to have any hit reactions. I would hope if we took a whacking to the knee or head our character wouldn't take it in the chin like a champ and then suddenly he's on his back. the animator's should include at least a couple of reaction type of your hit type of animations other than you're laying on your back. Another issue of the animation, many times it seems like everyone moves at the same time, or even attacks at the same time with the same animation. Highlighting a spell over an enemy should target creatures, or hovering your mouse over an enemy should highlight them. It seems like they could maybe highlight the targeted monster's more.  There's still some graphical issues like the shadow appears on top of the tree's as you pass by instead of being hidden, and they appear to be missing on some of the model's.

Overall, looking to be very good!

Okay so time for a more fair pic to be nice.  Eventually as we all know the original party lead by a Female Paladin Aumaua/Fire Godlike wiped fighting pesky wood and stone beetles.  So I watched that fight again and at the end after the main character gets bowled over in the middle of blue misty stuff it does give a really good profile of the armor... and here it is.

ibj6MdBYVnf3nd.png

As you can see in this completely unedited crop of a screen shot there is definite feminine features fully visible in the armor, but yes it is still a bit flatter than one would expect.  So hopefully that lays this a bit to rest.  Much like those beetles laid that poor beta party to rest.  We will remember you forever Sassy and Sassy 2.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 3

Okay so time for a more fair pic to be nice.  Eventually as we all know the original party lead by a Female Paladin Aumaua/Fire Godlike wiped fighting pesky wood and stone beetles.  So I watched that fight again and at the end after the main character gets bowled over in the middle of blue misty stuff it does give a really good profile of the armor... and here it is.

ibj6MdBYVnf3nd.png

As you can see in this completely unedited crop of a screen shot there is definite feminine features fully visible in the armor, but yes it is still a bit flatter than one would expect.  So hopefully that lays this a bit to rest.

So it is curved, but its still flat at same time? Thats odd

• Like 2

Btw, the livestream tomorrow for PE at the Live Booth Twitch-event is 20 minutes earlier than today. Here's hoping for new attempts by Adam to pass by a couple of insects. Perhaps he can try sneaking this time.

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

ibj6MdBYVnf3nd.png

As you can see in this completely unedited crop of a screen shot there is definite feminine features fully visible in the armor, but yes it is still a bit flatter than one would expect.  So hopefully that lays this a bit to rest.

So it is curved, but its still flat at same time? Thats odd

Indeed. It's "flurved".

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Fair enough, I was more focusing on the upper chest area because it just looks so jarring compared to the male version and the chain version of the same sex/race combo.

Like I said, put a slight curve in the plate, like the male version and it would alleviate the problem.

Edited by Sensuki

I'm rewatching the stream and I just noticed that the ability icons are from IWD.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

So one big thing I did just notice rewatching like Pidesco....  The stat minimums are much lower... also the Female Fire Godlike heads were the same regardless of the race you choose.  All race effected was the scaling of the head in relation to the body.  Sort of sad but I will be okay, they look pretty freaky already.  Especially that Moon Godlike.

So the Godlike stat line started at 3 might, 3 con, 4 dex, 3 perception, 4 int, and 4 resolve.  Gotta assume godlike gets a +1 to dex, int, and resolve and no penalties?

• Like 1

I would prefer it they reduce the size of the breasts of the godlike in chainmail. They're stupidly huge it's rather... jarring to see.

No way. Big boobs are earners man, apparently men tip 30% more and women tip 40% more if a waitress in the service industry has large breasts.

Imagine the extra gold you'd get from quest rewards!

If I wanted to be really critical I would ask if push-up bras were a thing in Eora, because it certainly looks like it  :p, those things would be hanging way lower, historically.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

I would prefer it they reduce the size of the breasts of the godlike in chainmail. They're stupidly huge it's rather... jarring to see.

Hmm, yeah, they seem to be size of her head. Which is... Well, I guess they are at least visible in isometric perspective xP But yeah, they are ridicolously huge