Robin Williams

Leferd

Yeah they're doing that as everyone is stamping their feet and acting as if this is an atrocity, heh, so Twitter has to maintain good PR with this. Funny how people are. And you were mentioning 'offensive' and 'hurtful' things.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah they're doing that as everyone is stamping their feet and acting as if this is an atrocity, heh, so Twitter has to maintain good PR with this. Funny how people are. And you were mentioning 'offensive' and 'hurtful' things.

But  do you personally not think what they did was hurtful and offensive ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The problem with internet and "free speech" (i.e. the Godgiven right to curse at and slander everyone while remaining anonymous) is that there is no accountability at all.

I am sure only a few of the people who made those rather nasty remarks towards William's daughter about her father's passing would have dared to do the same face to face, in public. And those that would actually do that would probably have their faces kicked in by bystanders, and deservedly so.

• Like 2

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

^That's decided by random internet mouthpieces?

Huh?

Twitter is the one with the final say here, which is as it should be.  Of course public outcry is going to be a factor in their decisions, as it wouldn't even be a blip on their radar if this wasn't such a public event, but Twitter can manage their own as they see fit.

"And those that would actually do that would probably have their faces kicked in by bystanders, and deservedly so."

So, you believe in violence but not in words. You are evil and a nazi. Don't say bad things or I will murder you. L0L0L Power and control. Everyone must think the same and if they don't they don't deserve to live. HAHAHA!! That's the real world.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"And those that would actually do that would probably have their faces kicked in by bystanders, and deservedly so."

So, you believe in violence but not in words. You are evil and a nazi. Don't say bad things or I will murder you. L0L0L Power and control. Everyone must think the same and if they don't they don't deserve to live. HAHAHA!! That's the real world.

You go on and fight the good fight, defending people's rights to insult and herass. :facepalm:

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

so, this is no longer a robin williams thread? fine.

Gromnir is old. twitter and facebook strike us as inherently narcissistic outlets. we recognize that there is many dirtbags in the world. if you voluntarily open yourself up to the world and say, "look at me," you should be expecting some o' those dirtbags to respond according to their character. we see no need for some kinda institutional oversight to chastise the predictable crude and obnoxious behavior o' dirtbags, even extreme crude and obnoxious behavior. 

now, there is the potential for actual illegal activity via these social media resources, and we agrees that when behavior becomes illegal rather than simply distasteful, offenders should be punished severely. that being said, violations o' good manners and polite behavior is not the kinda violations that need institutional correction. 

nevertheless, as we said already, Gromnir is old, perhaps too old to understand. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

But  do you personally not think what they did was hurtful and offensive ?

Well, given her dramatic exit from Twitter, certainly seems hurtful and offensive. I've no party in this so I'm not really in a place to be hurt or offended by it, myself.

The problem with internet and "free speech" (i.e. the Godgiven right to curse at and slander everyone while remaining anonymous) is that there is no accountability at all.

I am sure only a few of the people who made those rather nasty remarks towards William's daughter about her father's passing would have dared to do the same face to face, in public. And those that would actually do that would probably have their faces kicked in by bystanders, and deservedly so.

Really, they deserve to get their faces kicked in for that ? Amusing. But true that there's no direct accountability for what one says. Even so, is a nice feature of the Internet and I hope it stays. Good release valve and all, for the most part.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

am not wanting to get off topic by talking 'bout robin williams, but our favorite robin williams moment were from relative late in his career.

"Weapons of Self Destruction (2009)

"Williams' last HBO special from is a package of his polished, recent thoughts about politics, sex, a merciless appraisal of his alcoholism and an anecdote about appearing on German TV which shows he did not mind taking risks even as he aged. He is asked, "Why do you think there's not so much comedy in Germany?" to which he replied, "Did you ever think you killed all the funny people?""

is from a rollingstone article, but the quote has been posted many times. it takes some chutzpah to make such a comment to a german tv host on a german tv show. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Just noticed he named his daughter Zelda. I guess it's better than Jumanji.

Named her after Princess Zelda from the LEGEND OF ZELDA series, according to her dad.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Robin liked and played computer games?

And PnP RPGs.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Liking and playing video games/pnp doesn't make one cool. I should know. I play and like  those things and I'm most certainly not cool.

Robin Williams was cool because he was Robin Williams.

• Like 4

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Liking and playing video games/pnp doesn't make one cool. I should know. I play and like  those things and I'm most certainly not cool.

Maybe if you play videogames and you're not cool...its not the videogames :shifty:

I kid, I kid.

You know you're cool. :)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man