Polygon Preview Confirms No Romance Options

I would like a well written one (no canoodling necessary, at all). I just can't think of any great examples off the top of my head. I guess that makes me a promancer.

That said, I'm pretty sure no romance has been established for awhile now.

*ducks for cover*

I love romances I admit.  But I hate what they seem to do to the games and the fanbases, or at least what they seemed to do for Bioware games and the fan community.  I think I can do without them.  Besides no romances does not mean no deep connections with the NPCs.

• Like 1

"Anyway there were no romances in PS:T either"

Yes, there was. There were multiple ones.

P.S. Grom, King Kong was a pandering romance. Big ugly dumb evil murdering dude kidnaps innocent beautiful girl and brainwashes her ebcause she 'can change ' him from his evil ways. Romance as old as time.

I mean I've seen plenty of 'King Kongs' get the girl. In fact, there was a story for one of Kanada's most famous murderers has hoodwinked some young lady into become engaged to him. HAHAHA!

OLD. AS. TIME.

"Relationships are so much more than sex."

Agreed. relationships are much more thans ex - ie. between parent and child, friends, and the like but romantic relationship? Trust me, that comes down to sexual attraction (or money). This is proven fact.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

In my opinion it would have been great if Obsidian, with all the talk about mature themes, etc, etc. would have attempted to include mature romance, instead of the teen stuff that passes for romance in most cRPGs. And with mature I don't mean explicit content. I mean romance with real pitfalls. Romance where ambition, morality and different perspectives stand in the way, maybe to be overcome... or maybe not! Romance where other things might be lost if you pursue it. Where there might be jealousy and deception involved.

As much as I like Obsidian, I find it odd that they so often have no problems including casual sex, prostitution and even hints at rape, but shy away from presenting the option to roleplay real commitment and falling in love.

Well, maybe one day they will attempt to overcome that hurdle too.

• Like 1

"Relationships are so much more than sex."

Agreed. relationships are much more thans ex - ie. between parent and child, friends, and the like but romantic relationship? Trust me, that comes down to sexual attraction (or money). This is proven fact.

I meant that much more happens in a romance than just sex (the action). Yes, romantic relationships come down to a sexual attraction, but I was referring to the action of sex rather than the entire idea thereof (and its subsequent effects, E.G. attraction).

xD

Edited by Natusake

In my opinion it would have been great if Obsidian, with all the talk about mature themes, etc, etc. would have attempted to include mature romance, instead of the teen stuff that passes for romance in most cRPGs. And with mature I don't mean explicit content. I mean romance with real pitfalls. Romance where ambition, morality and different perspectives stand in the way, maybe to be overcome... or maybe not! Romance where other things might be lost if you pursue it. Where there might be jealousy and deception involved.

As much as I like Obsidian, I find it odd that they so often have no problems including casual sex, prostitution and even hints at rape, but shy away from presenting the option to roleplay real commitment and falling in love.

Well, maybe one day they will attempt to overcome that hurdle too.

Obsidian voluntarily chose not to do a romance because they feel if they did attempt a romance, they wouldn't do it justice - due to the enormous effort and cost it would take to develop it, at the expense of exploring these other "mature" themes that don't necessarily deal with romance.

In lieu of a romance Chris Avellone actually would prefer to write a hatemance, and he made a short go at it on Alpha Protocol. Really though, I think the best "romances" were in Alpha Protocol as essentially, except for one case, they were dealt with in a mature and theme appropriate manner with very little emo-teeny bile-inducing dialogue.

...o noes, I'm discussing romance again. ICK.

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

*ducks for cover*

It's a good slogan but I think you're only supposed to use the feathers, and then sewn into a sheet.  Using the whole duck could get messy.

Lephys, how'd you miss that one?

• Like 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

"Obsidian voluntarily chose not to do a romance because they feel if they did attempt a romance, they wouldn't do it justice - due to the enormous effort and cost it would take to develop it, at the expense of exploring these other "mature" themes that don't necessarily deal with romance."

Large cost? BIo romances are less than 1% of the games. Even the Jaheirha romance - as 'complicated' as it was - uses up miniscue resources. This idea that romances are some huge part of the game is silly. 

\

That said, games don't need romances and there's nothing wrong with them not having it.

I've [played games with and without it and enjoyed and not enjoyed either kind.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

This topic has been discussed and rediscussed over and over and over again, while the absence of romances in PoE has been known since the beginning.

Thread closed.

• Like 7

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: