Is there still no world cup thread? (the sequel)

Tale

The South Korean football team on coming home was pelted with toffees to show disapproval at their showing during the world cup.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-28095829

Oh, those rowdy Koreans.

Wow, that really must have put the SK team in a sticky situation ....

• Like 3

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

What Keyrock said, but then the exact opposite.

Argentina to steamroll all over Switzerland,

Belgium to struggle but eventually win against USA

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Brazil - Chile 3:1

Columbia - Uruguay 1:0

Nigeria - France 1:4

Germany - Algeria 2:1

Netherlands - Mexico 2:2 (3:2 after penalties)

Costa Rica - Greece 0:0 (0:1 after penalties)

Argentina - Switzerland 2:3

USA - Belgium 2:1

I hope that i get one right.

I got 5 out of six correct (only one score though), so my current predictions still stand.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Predictions for today:

Switzerland over Argentina

USA over Belgium

This is a tough one, my predictions

Switz vs Argentina 1-1 ( penalty shootouts with Argentina winning)

USA vs Belgium 2-1

Exciting games either way :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The Argentinian keeper was so lucky.  He made a horrible mistake by staying halfway out instead of coming out to get to the ball first (as he should have) or going back to the goal, but the Swiss player got a terrible strike on it.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The Argentinian keeper was so lucky. He made a horrible mistake by staying halfway out instead of coming out to get to the ball first (as he should have) or going back to the goal, but the Swiss player got a terrible strike on it.

He choked.

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

The Swiss don't seem to know how to kick the ball whenever they get inside Argentina's box.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

The Swiss are coming apart at the seams.  It looks like only a matter of time until the Argentinians put one in the back of the net.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Argentina wins.  They're through to the quarters, but they look quite vulnerable.

Same counter as last WC it seems, find a way to choke off Messi. Sad to see Switzerland lose, they played pretty well. And I hate Argentina.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Goodbye, Ottmar. #bayernlegend

Excellent Manager/Coach.

He almost pulled it through.

• Like 2

how can you stand this travesty of a tournament. I only watched one game, Brazil vs Chile, and when I saw 3 players try and hit the goalie with the ball instead of the net behind the goalie I suddenly realized, that either this whole thing is bought, or football has degraded beyond repair.

I mean, how retarded can you be to hit a low ball into the center of the goal, where the flipping goalie is standing? even if he moves, the ball will most likely hit his legs. and guess what? THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENNED. 3 ****ing times in a row! and then the fourth time! 

I will never believe that a professional player, who spends all his life sending the ball into the "9" or the "6" will just unlearn that skill in a crucial game. 

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Well, not disputing that it could be bought (I have no clue if it is or not) but punching it to the goalie in the middle instead of the sides could also be from rushing shots, in my experience.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The US lucky to escape that half without conceding a goal.  Their defense has been porous, to say the least.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

How could the Belgians have missed that chance?   :facepalm:

Oh my, and another. How many 100% chances can you miss, Belgium?

Edited by JadedWolf

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.