Why is there no world cup thread ?

Gorgon

Well, the rare times he decides to stay standing anyway. :p  Mexico will be scary if they could master the ball for those long range shots.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

World Cup final: Germany - Italy: 1-2

Some day Germany will master Italy.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Does anyone here still nurse the illusion that the Netherlands is among the tournament's favourites?

But who cares anyway. They're not as bad as we thought at the beginning, and they're not as good as we gave them credit for after Spain. 

Credit to the Australians, they gave it their all and proved a very formidable opponent. Wish they'd been a tad less physical though.

I agree about Germany and Italy going far, I think between them Germany might take it though. So far they've impressed me the most.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Credit where credit's due, Jaded - the Dutch were pretty physical on their own end. Ref was awful, though.

Exciting game. Caihill's goal was amazing and Australia started out playing better but failed to utilize their chances and switched players ended up sliding the balance into Oranje's favor (with Depay in particular earning his keep more than any other player on the field). Wonder who will replace Van Persie since his second yellow means he's suspended for the next game. Yet my favourite moment was Leckie (I hope I'm spelling his name right) his hilarious dive. Give that man a Razzie for his trouble! :lol:

EDIT: I gotta say, seeing an after game replay, that handball call wasn't warranted at all.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Credit where credit's due, Jaded - the Dutch were pretty physical on their own end. Ref was awful, though.

Exciting game. Caihill's goal was amazing and Australia started out playing better but failed to utilize their chances and switched players ended up sliding the balance into Oranje's favor (with Depay in particular earning his keep more than any other player on the field). Wonder who will replace Van Persie since his second yellow means he's suspended for the next game. Yet my favourite moment was Leckie (I hope I'm spelling his name right) his hilarious dive. Give that man a Razzie for his trouble! :lol:

EDIT: I gotta say, seeing an after game replay, that handball call wasn't warranted at all.

Yeah, the ref made some very funny decisions.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Hand on the ball in the penalty area is an automatic penalty, it has to look extremely accidental to avoid it. He kinda, sortof put his arm in the direction of the ball's fligth. that's enough. Or so says our comentator. 

You can certainly give the penalty. You have to wonder though, what is the guy supposed to do with his arm, cut it off? Tie it to his torso?

My beef with the ref is that when it came to the physical part of the game he seemed to accept a lot less of the Dutch than he did of the Australians.

In other news, apparently it wasn't Indi's arm that was hurt, he fell on his head and now has a concussion.

Hand on the ball in the penalty area is an automatic penalty, it has to look extremely accidental to avoid it. He kinda, sortof put his arm in the direction of the ball's fligth. that's enough. Or so says our comentator. 

Looked like it just kinda bounced up against a hand that was already there to me, from the slowmo replay. The player even got startled by it touching him, like "wtf just happened?".

But maybe I'm inherently biased or something? I wouldn't rule that out, though I'm trying to be objective. Hard call to make, especially on the field. Just saying it looked accidental and unavoidable to me, personally.

EDIT: This is not one of the calls I find the refs lacking for, to clarify. It was a tough call. I find the refs lacking because this game was almost ridiculously physical (from both sides) and almost never did they catch anything.

Edited by TrueNeutral

EDIT: This is not one of the calls I find the refs lacking for, to clarify. It was a tough call. I find the refs lacking because this game was almost ridiculously physical (from both sides) and almost never did they catch anything.

I'm usually in favor of the ref letting the players play rather than stopping play and rewarding the actor every single time they take a dive and roll around on the ground for 2 minutes like someone just shot them with a 12-gauge full of rock salt.  That said, the refs let some fairly rough stuff go in this match.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

If they are clean tackles, nothing wrong with it.  Not sure what matches you watch with rampant diving and 2 minute stoppages though.  Match was just physical, sort of like an EPL match.

857346584.gif?1403109757

Missed it, was wondering what was the brace for on the stretcher - head strike.

Edited by Malcador

If they are clean tackles, nothing wrong with it.  Not sure what matches you watch with rampant diving and 2 minute stoppages though.  Match was just physical, sort of like an EPL match.

857346584.gif?1403109757

Missed it, was wondering what was the brace for on the stretcher - head strike.

I can stomach a push and a shove, as long as no one is playing is such a way that they risk permanently injuring someone. Where I draw the line is where a striker is physically held into place by a defender bear hugging them. You see it a lot these days, and I think refs should deal with it. It's football, not wrestling.

Yep, the grappling is in every game.

Spain are awful.