Why is there no world cup thread ?

Gorgon

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/

Some pretty interesting matchups in the first round. Prediction : England will manage to screw it up somehow and concede the advancement to either Uruguai or Costa Rica.

That's not exactly going out on a limb, though.  England underperforming and getting eliminated much earlier than they should have been is a quadrennial tradition.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I never got the appeal of soccer. Hockey is much more exciting to watch. I am impressed with the stamina of soccer players though.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Why? They only use half the field for the most part and half the time a player is standing around waiting his turn. Soccor can be fun to play but out of the major team sports it is the most boring to play with only baseball  close to it in terms of boringness to watch.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I never got the appeal of soccer. Hockey is much more exciting to watch. I am impressed with the stamina of soccer players though.

Well it's interesting for the fact that it's the biggest show on the planet as well. When it comes to bragging rights there is nothing that really comes close. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Because there are plenty of forums out there that cater exclusively to the noble sport of association football, so if anyone would feel the need to banter about football that'd be the place to go.

And because this board is frequented by a quite a few inhabitants of barbarous countries where they know nothing about the noble sport of association football. Like the above posters.

I do actually enjoy watching hockey though. In fact, the world championships are happening right now, in my country. I reckon we have a good chance of winning it.

http://www.rabobankhockeyworldcup2014.com/

2i6ndxc.jpg

• Like 1

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

No player is standing around waiting its turn. They are always doing something on the field according to their task. The average distance covered in soccer depending on position is the highest of any sport.

Of course your right that its a boring sport to watch because its inconsequential for the viewer. The action lies on the ball.

Ah yes, the <whatever sport is being talked about in this thread> sucks trolls have come out to play.  Very good, gentlemen, jolly good contribution.

As for the footy tourney itself, I suspect ze Germans will take it this year.  I would very much like the Oranje to take it, but they had their chance 4 years ago and ****ed it up.  They've fallen off significantly since then.  Colombia is my dark horse as they have a favorable group to come out of.

As an aside, why not make this the Official World Cup Thread, and rename it to something like "How Will England **** It Up This Time?  The World Cup Thread"  or just "The World Cup Thread" if that's too much of a mouthful?

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Looking forward to it very much. I don't really support any particular national team, but kinda hoping for Uruguay to win it, with Suarez controversially scoring the matchwinning goal. If only to annoy the predictable whiners.

• Like 1

As long as England goes home empty I am fine. Sucks to see Reus out though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Looking forward to it very much. I don't really support any particular national team, but kinda hoping for Uruguay to win it, with Suarez controversially scoring the matchwinning goal. If only to annoy the predictable whiners.

For purely comedic purposes, that would be pretty fantastic.  The level of butthurt would be tremendous.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Aside from USA Track & Field, USA Soccer is the only other US International side I'll actively and loudly back as a blind patriot.

Absolutely loving what Jurgen Klinsmann has done for Team USA and especially for giving Landon Donovan the boot. Charmin Soft, that one.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Aside from USA Track & Field, USA Soccer is the only other US International side I'll actively and loudly back as a blind patriot.

Absolutely loving what Jurgen Klinsmann has done for Team USA and especially for giving Landon Donovan the boot. Charmin Soft, that one.

Yeah, I will be cheering for them too.  Unfortunately, they drew the Group of Death™.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Yeah, I will be cheering for them too.  Unfortunately, they drew the Group of Death™.

Hmm, I would consider group B the real Group of Death, but yes, I don't expect the USA to go through with that group. Then again, they might surprise. If they do keep Portugal from qualifying for the next round, I'll raise my glass to them.

Ronaldo is a great player, but he's incredibly annoying to watch with his mannerisms.

• Like 1

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

I've resolved not to watch it this time around. All it does it make me angry, whether through awful referees or my national team getting everyone's hopes up by playing amazingly well at the start of the tournament and then transforming into a hurricane of failure when it actually matters.

I've resolved not to watch it this time around. All it does it make me angry, whether through awful referees or my national team getting everyone's hopes up by playing amazingly well at the start of the tournament and then transforming into a hurricane of failure when it actually matters.

You'll break your resolve, you know you will. What else will you do during the matches? Take up knitting? :D

• Like 1

Ronaldo is a great player, but he's incredibly annoying to watch with his mannerisms.

Is the pretty boy going to play?  I heard he was hurt.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Is the pretty boy going to play?  I heard he was hurt.

You mean the injury caused by a witchdoctor from Ghana? :D

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/world-cup-2014-cristiano-ronaldo-injury-caused-by-ghanas-most-influential-witch-doctor-named-the-devil-of-wednesday-9491252.html

I don't really believe in witchdoctors, so I wouldn't count myself lucky just yet were I the USA team. And it is a good thing too, as much as I dislike the guy, he oughto be part of the World Cup.

"Aside from USA Track & Field, USA Soccer is the only other US International side I'll actively and loudly back as a blind patriot."

So, you'll cheer for the US in a sport like soccer where they're likely never gonna win the the ultimate prize anytime soon but you won't cheer them in sports that they have a shot winning (T&F don't count cuase it's not a team sport though they try to pretend it is).

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Aside from USA Track & Field, USA Soccer is the only other US International side I'll actively and loudly back as a blind patriot."

So, you'll cheer for the US in a sport like soccer where they're likely never gonna win the the ultimate prize anytime soon but you won't cheer them in sports that they have a shot winning (T&F don't count cuase it's not a team sport though they try to pretend it is).

Yes, that's what he said. And to be honest, that's something you oughto respect. At least he's not a fair weather fan.