Our artists are making a lot of the unique armors and outfits right now.  Personally, I like the variety we've developed.  JD Cerince is currently building the appearance for a unique suit of mail that has a silver tree and falling leaves wrapping around the torso built into the links.  James Chea just finished all of our unique brigandine armors.  I'm a big fan of brigandine in our game because its protection is just below plate, the speed reduction is better, and the canvas + rivet look is cool, IMO.

• Like 10

I'm gonna hafta get a bigger mug, in order to enjoy all that Varia Tea. 8)

Seriously, though. I'm very happy to know there'll be a good bit of variety.

I don't know if this has been addressed before, but, will there be any form of "I want to wear Item A, but I want to use the appearance of Item B" in the game?

It's not at all necessary, but it can be very nice. Because, even if you make all the gear/attire super amazing looking, personal preference ultimately prevails, and someone might find that Ancient Sorcer's robe goofy-looking, but wish they could use its awesome unique stats in lieu of their Piddly Apprentice's robe. *shrug*

Plus, you generally have to actually possess the item in question, so it's not really like you're getting to just pick your appearance out of a hat.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I don't know if this has been addressed before, but, will there be any form of "I want to wear Item A, but I want to use the appearance of Item B" in the game?

It's not at all necessary, but it can be very nice. Because, even if you make all the gear/attire super amazing looking, personal preference ultimately prevails, and someone might find that Ancient Sorcer's robe goofy-looking, but wish they could use its awesome unique stats in lieu of their Piddly Apprentice's robe. *shrug*

Plus, you generally have to actually possess the item in question, so it's not really like you're getting to just pick your appearance out of a hat.

215498175_xtqwL-L-2.jpg

Anyways, if Obsidian doesn't include the functionality, it'll likely be modded in, as it was for NWN2. Personally I prefer to look at the appearance as a roleplaying limitation, even if it doesn't actually figure into gameplay. Are you bad enough dude to walk around town in a dress? ^_^

• Like 1

"They're robes dammit, ROBES!" - Every male Wizard ever

You just keep telling yourself that. :p Nothing wrong with wearing a dress, of course. They're quite comfy, especially in the summer.

"They're robes dammit, ROBES!" - Every male Wizard ever

You just keep telling yourself that. :p Nothing wrong with wearing a dress, of course. They're quite comfy, especially in the summer.

First picture that you get when you google robe is

00125605-robe-de-Gala-soiree-longue-Glam

:)

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 2

The concept art for Aloth has him wearing trousers and a cloak, so hopefully fewer bathrobes will turn up than you think.

Will you be able to play through the entire game as a Wizard character wearing only trousers I wonder?  Or will there be times that the loot drops force you to put on the dreaded skirt of 1.5x DPS

Edited by Urthor

Speaking of clothes; What about clothes as filler? In many CRPGs, including D&D ones (especially on persistent servers and such), you get to pick among entire wardrobes of casual, non-expeditionary clothing for your player character. Will PE have the same roleplaying feature? This means that there will be clothes that are paltry, standard, beautiful - going from gratis to very expensive - still most of them are non-magical and have very low or no armour value.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Will you be able to play through the entire game as a Wizard character wearing only trousers I wonder?  Or will there be times that the loot drops force you to put on the dreaded skirt of 1.5x DPS

Aloth the Shirtless! :) Reputation system, HOHHHhhh!!!

Also, I know you you're probably mainly joking, but I sincerely hope that there won't be any "DPS" estimates/ratings on equipment or anything. I hate that. They don't make any sense unless the game expects you to just stand there, constantly attacking an enemy, with no gaps or patterns in your attacks/movement/maneuvering, etc. It kind of goes against tactical combat, since, in tactical play, all seconds are not created equal. 8P

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Aloth the Shirtless! :) Reputation system, HOHHHhhh!!!

Also, I know you you're probably mainly joking, but I sincerely hope that there won't be any "DPS" estimates/ratings on equipment or anything. I hate that. They don't make any sense unless the game expects you to just stand there, constantly attacking an enemy, with no gaps or patterns in your attacks/movement/maneuvering, etc. It kind of goes against tactical combat, since, in tactical play, all seconds are not created equal. 8P

You're just described the most of the gameplay of World of Warcraft, so I guess that answers that question ;)

Obviously Dungeons and Dragons based games just don't work like that, the entire point of DPS is redundant for Mages who just won't be DPSing they'll be casting a lot of utility spells.

Edited by Urthor

The concept art for Aloth has him wearing trousers and a cloak, so hopefully fewer bathrobes will turn up than you think.

Come to think of it, I can't recall any concept or ingame screenshot showing anyone wearing anything resembling the traditional Archmage Robes or any kind of distinct robes. Most magic users wore armor, and although in the teaser there were a couple of wizards wearing robes (in the outdoor combat scene), but since everyone had capes, cloaks, boots showing and weapons strapped in, it looked like a cloth coat.

Overall I got a sense of the adventuring wizard type, which is nice, but I wish there were more distinct looking robes in a top down game.

adventuring vs traditional wizard type

wizard.jpg2ur6p0m.jpg

Yeah, typical RPG robes generally lack character. They always just make you look like you're not dressed or something, or you're some give-up-all-my-physical-belongings monk.

"I wove this robe out of my own hair, after collecting what I shed for 17 years, 8D"

I don't understand why, if your cloth apparel isn't offering some sort of physical protection from it's specific structure, you wouldn't wear something that has a bit more character to it.

Also, I think it'd be great to wear a breastplate and/or chain shirt, with a robe OVER it. :).

"Ohh, I'm just a frail old man with no protection... *tink*... LOLZ! You fell for it! You thought I'd JUST wear a simple cotton robe? What an idiot!"

Reminds me of a character in Brandon Sanderson's Elantris, who went about all the time in big, ceremonial armor (was basically designed to LOOK like armor, but real armor designed thusly would be stupidly heavy). The characters eventually find out that his armor isn't ceremonial. He had his custom made to be actually protective, and just practiced wearing it about a lot of the time (he doesn't wear it all the time, just more than people figure you'd wear heavy armor) to condition himself. Surprise, attackers! 8P

• 2 weeks later...