I'm unsure what exactly you're desirous of Sheikh, is it different skull shapes (Negroid or Mongoloid rather than Caucasoid) or more fantastical elements you are requesting?

Yep. Also cro-magnon esque broad skulls as well, which exist in the nordic countries. And then more circular/oval skulls as well.

1. Foreheads. Some people in real life have very receding foreheads. Like something completely different from the portraits obsidian have done so far.

2. Various grades of prognathism.

3. Location of various aspects of the face in relation to each other. E.g nose, eyes, mouth etc.

These 4 features are major in forming the face. There are probably other major features, but I am not going to try think up more atm. Major features change the overall shape of the face far more than minor features such as the shape of the lips, nose or eyes and brows, etc.

All of which would be wasted development time in an isometric game with low poly models. 

Why? Were talking portraits not ingame visuals.

If it's drawn portraits as in the old IE games then there shouldn't be a problem, heck you probably can add your own.
If it's 3D then that's added development, although having the artist working more time is also an added cost just lower and easier to accommodate.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The portraits so far look pretty good. I guess they fit the "adventurer" type of characters just fine. Realistic looking with a touch of fantasy, not overly sexualized but also not total abominations.

What I'm a little curious about though, is the inconsistency in art style between the 3-picture portrait displaying styling variants and the other pictures. I don't feel that these "match". But I don't know if the art style changed throughout the developement and that this particular portrait is maybe older than the others.

But I'd love to see more portraits! Even if we can probably mod the game to have our own, I feel a good set of default portraits is important, simply because it's pretty much the only way to customize the appearance of the character in a 2D isometric game.

I'm especially interested in the portrait art style for some of the "less human" characters.

The portraits so far look pretty good. I guess they fit the "adventurer" type of characters just fine. Realistic looking with a touch of fantasy, not overly sexualized but also not total abominations.

What I'm a little curious about though, is the inconsistency in art style between the 3-picture portrait displaying styling variants and the other pictures. I don't feel that these "match". But I don't know if the art style changed throughout the developement and that this particular portrait is maybe older than the others.

But I'd love to see more portraits! Even if we can probably mod the game to have our own, I feel a good set of default portraits is important, simply because it's pretty much the only way to customize the appearance of the character in a 2D isometric game.

I'm especially interested in the portrait art style for some of the "less human" characters.

some of the portraits are not made by obsidian. they are made by backers that had the apropriate tier to make characters. they will be reworked to match the art style of the rest.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Portraits look good enough to me. The blue barbarian guy in the first backer portrait is my personal fave so far, although I'm not sure I would trust him (looks fishy).

He looks too joyful for a barbarian though. Also maybe a bit dumb rather than fishy  :p

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

@teknoman2 All of the portraits are made by Obsidian. All except the godlike variants are by Kaz. The backer portraits are overpainted on photos. The godlike one is by Polina.

Polina looks like some dead-serious-tough chick !

Typical stuck-up paladin material, 1 dose of psychological issues, obsessed with some higher purpose-- but of course susceptible to soften & open up to the protagonist !

I hope I am wrong 'cause my thoughts on her bore me before even meeting her ..!  :p

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

@teknoman2 All of the portraits are made by Obsidian. All except the godlike variants are by Kaz. The backer portraits are overpainted on photos. The godlike one is by Polina.

Typical stuck-up paladin material, 1 dose of psychological issues, obsessed with some higher purpose-- but of course susceptible to soften & open up to the protagonist !

I hope I am wrong 'cause my thoughts on her bore me before even meeting her ..!  :p

polina is the artist that made the portrait

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Hear! hear!

But since we actually don't have the game yet we will just have to wait and see.

To clarify, the godlike variants -- with the different head details -- are by Polina. Pallegina, the paladin with the birdlike features, is also by Kaz.

And yes, I do like the portraits, although to my eye Edér and Pallegina are a good deal better executed than the backer portraits.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Portraits need to have lots of character. A face is by far the best omnipresent visual clue as to the persons character.

In fact, good portraits can get your imagination flowing and give you ideas of a character you would make.

So far I believe in this game we have:

pe-backer-portrait-combined.jpg

The problem with these is, they look too similar underneath skin color, teeth and size of nose. The shape and proportions of their face are almost identical. Other than that, they are not bad. (although they both look disgusting imo - wouldnt want to be one of these unless I was playing some willfully ignorant, loud, rude, chaotic heavy social drinker).

pe-backer-portrait02-509.jpg

eder-100156048-orig.png

This looks way too similar to the first 2 in terms of proportions again.

Those are based on backer faces.

So in essence you are saying that real people's faces look too much alike.

But, honestly, in short, you really, really seem like you want to make your own game. Every single post you've made has had that underlying implication. Stop maybe stop with the condescending "I can do it better/you're doing it wrong" attitude and actually make your own game? No, that's an earnest statement.

But, honestly, in short, you really, really seem like you want to make your own game. Every single post you've made has had that underlying implication. Stop maybe stop with the condescending "I can do it better/you're doing it wrong" attitude and actually make your own game? No, that's an earnest statement.

I cant. Thats why I am stuck playing games made by other people.

you can. you just have to become the CEO of a development studio or even better of a publisher and you can have them make the game any way you like

-Teknoman2-

Why not?

There are tons of free and cheap engines on the market nowadays.

How I do that

These days it's much easier than you think.

(1) Download Unity from here.

(2) Learn to use it.

(3) Create your dream game based on your brilliant idea.

You'll probably want to start with something fairly small, but you can always build up from that. If your idea is good and you can demonstrate that you can make it happen, it shouldn't be hard to bring people on board who can do stuff you can't.

In this day and age, the means to make a great game are available to anyone. Seriously.

• Like 3

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Unity, UE4, and CE3 are not the only ones in play.

Ren'Py is free.

Construct 2 and Media Fusion are both about $100. 

Game Maker Studio is also about $100.

Of course, also the costs of a team.

But I mean, it's not like crowdfunding isn't a big thing.

But honestly, this discussion should really move to the Tips of Beginners thread in Dev Corner if it's going to continue. I'd be more than happy to help with further questions, Sheikh.

Edited by Bryy

you can. you just have to become the CEO of a development studio or even better of a publisher and you can have them make the game any way you like

How I do that

you start by being a ruthless- money addicted- power hungry- law defiant low level executive in EA. then you kill the career of your boss to take his place and become a section chief. then you use every trick that you can to climb the corporate ladder and acquire 40% or more of the company's stocks. then you call bioware and tell them to make an rpg exactly how you want it :devil:

• Like 1

-Teknoman2-

• 3 weeks later...