Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

"My issues are more when you go onto the next two books."

Books are irrelevant. This is the MOVIE thread.

Well, it kind of naturally flows into the next two movies of the Hunger Games which are going to have all the same damn problems...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Watched Ender's Game and Pacific Rim last weekend. The former seemed the better of the two, even though it is generally lower rated. The acting in the latter just seemed a little too forced and over the top. Both are decent popcorn movies.

Wait, there were actors in Pacific Rim? Guess I was distracted by the FUEKHUEG ROBOTS beating the crap out of FUEKHUEG MONSTERS. :p

I couldn't sleep last night so I watched Silent Hill Revelations 3D.

With a metacritic score of about 5% I wasn't expecting a great deal. But wow.

It is so unbelievably awful that not only is it not scary. But I actually feel less scared by the entire franchise now.

• Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I watched 300 again.

I forgot how incredible it was.

I'm just going to go ahead and assume that by the end of the movie you were half naked and had grown a beard.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Oh the initial Hunger Games isn't too bad. I find the concept of the districts and the way everything rolls along to be a bit dodgy, but I'm fine with suspension of disbelief for what you get.  My issues are more when you go onto the next two books. Things start to just get very messy, and I found the finale pretty much a throwaway mess of character turns, dodgy reasoning, and clutch-it storytelling.

I thought a couple of things were unlikely (I didn't think Katniss did nearly enough in the first flick to justify her being a symbol for the rebellion and I scratch my head as to how exactly holding the Hunger Games keeps the districts in check instead of everyone going "you make kids murder each other? take this molotov to the face you bastards!") but overall I thought they were pretty good. I'm hoping the movies will remain good, but thanks for the heads up. I'll try to keep realistic motivations.

I thought a couple of things were unlikely (I didn't think Katniss did nearly enough in the first flick to justify her being a symbol for the rebellion and I scratch my head as to how exactly holding the Hunger Games keeps the districts in check instead of everyone going "you make kids murder each other? take this molotov to the face you bastards!") but overall I thought they were pretty good. I'm hoping the movies will remain good, but thanks for the heads up. I'll try to keep realistic motivations.

It's never really explained properly in the movies (or the books for that matter), but the basic point is that this is a post-apocalyptic Earth where the entire population of North America is below five million (I see figures on it being from around 2 million to 4.5 million), spread over what's left of the North American continent. This relatively low population is kept in check by a high tech totalitarian government which can easily monitor and enforce its rule in the districts. Any rebellion would have to explode in most districts at the same time, which is not practical due to their isolation.

There's also the case of the current situation persisting for nearly three quarters of a century, equivalent to roughly three generations. People get used to it, as humans aren't naturally inclined towards running at heavily armed soldiers to throw a Molotov and get shot in the face for their effort, not unless they see a chance for success. This is the same mechanism that kept inmates of gulags and KLs docile, despite the prisoners outnumbering the guards by several magnitudes, reinforced by Panem's monolithic, spotless appearance.

Katniss' defiance during the Hunger Games and survival was the first crack in the monolith, one that led to the appearance of many others. The fact that Panem ****ed up handling of the fallout is another factor (though in its defense, no one expected two victors, much less that the games' master would subvert them).

EDIT: Whoops. Props to Walsingham.

Edited by Tagaziel

I wish it were Tuesday, already, so I could watch the Unextended Edition of The Desolation of Smaug ... like, twice. 

You know what is completely bonkers, is that these two shots are of the same actor: 

vlcsnap-2014-04-04-14h58m36s72_zps23de1a

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

vlcsnap-2014-04-04-14h53m36s142_zps17bce

Captain America: The First Avenger

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Watched Divergent. Very good movie, and one of only 3 'YA' films I've watched and enjoyed since becoming an 'adult'. 9/10 Only one (2?) scenes annoyed me.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Watched Divergent. Very good movie, and one of only 3 'YA' films I've watched and enjoyed since becoming an 'adult'. 9/10 Only one (2?) scenes annoyed me.

What were the other ones? Only 'YA' movie I've seen that I liked was the Hunger Games and it's sequel. Which was a pleasant surprise.

Hunger Games (1&2) and Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (yeah I know it was a criticial and financial  dissapointment) but I enjoyed it. Nowhere near as good as the other two though. Oh, I also forgot The Host. That was an entertaining film also.

Then again, some people include movies like 'Carrie' as 'YA' films. L0L

For the record, I didn't care for either HP or  Twilight series. Couldn't finish a single film of either (not that I tried to after the first few lol).

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I enjoyed one of the Twilight movies (I don't even know which one it was I was dragged to) only because of the eye candy in the form of Kristen Stewart on screen. Harry Potter however, was horribly bland I thought. Tried to read and watch each repsectively but couldn't finish either. But I wasn't a tween or younger when they came out so perhaps the appeal is lost on me (though I normally love fantasy), then again I never really liked 'YA' books even when I was a 'YA', but I've been reading full length 'adult' novels since I was about 8. That said, as I've said previously, the Hunger Games trilogy was a pleasant surprise.

I've heard others mention 'The Host', I'll have to check that out. Likely will see Divergent in the coming days.

The Host is a South Korean monster movie...

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

** Hubby and I watch "47 Ronin" then when the end credits roll... **

Me: Wow...I wasn't expecting much at all, just some good sword-fight scenes or something.

Hubs: Ditto.

Me: It's never good when in spite of my very low expectations, I'm still quite disappointed... :disguise:

Hubs: Nothing to add to that....

...an almost no-fun-action fantasy samurai movie blended with Lord of the Rings beast CGI and background scenery.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

ooooh, that one, yeah... 

I really like Saoirse Ronan, I hope she gets to do more serious movies as she matures as an actress. these romantic drama borefests seem like a waste of her talent

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Me: Wow...I wasn't expecting much at all, just some good sword-fight scenes or something.

Me: It's never good when in spite of my very low expectations, I'm still quite disappointed... :disguise:

...an almost no-fun-action fantasy samurai movie blended with Lord of the Rings beast CGI and background scenery.

I have to admit I'm mixed. The soundtrack was pretty damn good, and it was..interesting to see a Hollywood interpretation of the classic story. It's a shame they decided to go back and shoot some more /re-edit it to make it more 'Keannu" based.

Although the bit that did make me snicker was the synchronised seppuku at the end.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The story of the 47 Ronin is one of the greatest stories in the annuls of world history methinks, and one with so much great potential for an amazing movie. Not only did Hollywood drop the ball with their recent telling of the story, they squashed it, opened it up, pooped in it. pissed on it, then smashed it and put it through a wood chipper and sent what was left off to ferment in mad cow manure.