I was thinking about it for some time now, but couldn't find a proper thread, hence this one h'ya.

Are there some stuff that we already know, but might be presumably incorrect, wrong or such? I know that creating a whole new IP gives the developers a huge room to maneuver; they come up with a lots of new things and ideas, sometimes they might even change the commonly known purpose of something anew... But maybe something is out of place? Here's an example:

FACT #1

The game will take its place in the southern hemesphere. Further south means more snowy/icy regions.

FACT #2

The so-called "boreal dwarves" live in the remote southern island, where they share the rocky tundra and snow-covered forests.

which brings us to...

QUESTION

Why these southern dwarves are called "boreal"?

bo·re·al  (bôr′ē-əl, bōr′-)

adj.
1. Of or relating to the north; northern.
2. Of or concerning the north wind.
3. Boreal Of or relating to the forest areas of the northern North Temperate Zone, dominated by coniferous trees such as spruce, fir, and pine.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

because north and south is an arbitrary designation. it literally makes no difference (except whether or not the sun sets in the west or the east)

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

A good point, perhaps the Boreal Dwarves were from the northern Polar regions at one time and have migrated like the Arctic Tern from one Pole to the other, keeping the nomenclature they identify with? There does seem to have been mass migrations from the northern hemisphere, so this might be possible. Or perhaps the magnetic poles have flipped as they are wont to do on Earth from time to time?

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

"of, relating to, or comprising the northern biotic area characterized especially by dominance of coniferous forests"

I suspect that this is the focus.

Maybe my ignorance is showing, but when I first heard "boreal dwarves", I thoughts, "oh cool. Forest dwarves". No idea that "boreal" was supposed to be geographically-specific until about 3 minutes ago.

• Like 6

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

...but when I first heard "boreal dwarves", I thoughts, "oh cool. Forest dwarves".

I took it to mean this as well.  While strictly speaking, it references the northern hemisphere, I've seen/heard it used frequently to describe a forest type, and not necessarily meaning one that's geographically located in the north.

"of, relating to, or comprising the northern biotic area characterized especially by dominance of coniferous forests"

Maybe my ignorance is showing, but when I first heard "boreal dwarves", I thoughts, "oh cool. Forest dwarves". No idea that "boreal" was supposed to be geographically-specific until about 3 minutes ago.

You're thinking of "arboreal."

• Like 4

If you read a bit further in the definition you'll see that "boreal" comes from "Boreas" - the Greek god of the north wind, which is in its own turn associated with cold weather .

I guess looking at it strictly you'd have to call them something else. Nothing comes to mind that would be linked with "south" and "cold" at the same time, possibly because on the mirroring latitudes on the Earth the climates are totally different (Tiera del Fuego maybe sort-of?).

Could just call them snow dwarves or whatever. Just please no elvensoundinglongaschickenintestineswithextragtf'téhf'sôdg'oöfg`an dwarves.

• Like 2

They would probably be Austral Dwarves then, which doesn't sound quite as cool... so to speak.

*chuckle*

Imagine dwarves talkin' strine :teehee:

- Crickey! I'm a croc'dile hunna' ... Now git me some ale! Emma chisit?

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Hi Achilles, an excellent grammatical point you made :)

Boreal as related to climate is very particular understanding.

There is no "Austral climate" (Austral being antonymous to Boreal) that is used for the same thing but for landmasses in the south or by people living on those landmasses.

The reason for this is because, should you refer to a map of Boreal climate ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subarctic_climate ) you will note that this climate is peculiar to the Northern Hemisphere.

Not due to a language barrier, but because habitable territory and weather patterns in the Southern Hemisphere are nothing like Northern Hemisphere.

There may be "Boreal Dwarves" in PoE, if the location of the landmass they occupy, is located at a Southern latitude analogous to 50° to 70°N (i.e. 50° to 70°South), and the area of the landmass is comparable to Canada/Northern Europe/Siberia and characterised by coniferous forests, tundra, short cool summers (with flowering plants), long and cold winters and mass animal migrations.

A "Boreal Dwarf", to my mind, would culturally be similar to a Lapplander with a dash of the Old Norse to them. But with a greater emphasis on migration in line with herded animals, rather than many large, permanent settlements.

Edited by Azmodan
  • Like 4

They would probably be Austral Dwarves then, which doesn't sound quite as cool... so to speak.

*chuckle*

Imagine dwarves talkin' strine :teehee:

- Crickey! I'm a croc'dile hunna' ... Now git me some ale! Emma chisit?

And the Dwarves will be named: "Shezza (Sheredgruin), Bazza (Barragor) and Mik (Mikkelgrumm)", sporting mullets, wearing wife-beaters (sleeveless shirts), shorts and thongs (flip-flops). The cantankerous distrust towards outsiders (a staple of Dwarfdom everywhere), will oscillate, following a few pints, towards a generous "she'll be right, mate" attitude.

You're thinking of "arboreal."

Indeed I am. Thanks for the correction.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

There may be "Boreal Dwarves" in PoE, if the location of the landmass they occupy, is located at a Southern latitude analogous to 50° to 70°N (i.e. 50° to 70°South), and the area of the landmass is comparable to Canada/Northern Europe/Siberia and characterised by coniferous forests, tundra, short cool summers (with flowering plants), long and cold winters and mass animal migrations.

I think this is what it ultimately comes down to. In the end, we're dealing with a completely different world here, with it's own climates and languages, so boreal might well simply be the closest translation of the term that can be mustered in english, with the "correct" denomination simply not existing in our languages because we have never encountered what they refer to.

Or would you rather have "southern equivalent to boreal" dwarves? That would be rather... unwieldy, and people would probably just contract it to boreal dwarves anyway.

Maybe it is just a derivation of arboreal?  Arboreal, 'boreal...boreal.  It is a fantasy setting after all, they could be called Northern dwarves even if they lived in the far south just because that's where they came from 10000 years ago and that's still what they tell everyone they meet.

Maybe it is just a derivation of arboreal?  Arboreal, 'boreal...boreal.  It is a fantasy setting after all, they could be called Northern dwarves even if they lived in the far south just because that's where they came from 10000 years ago and that's still what they tell everyone they meet.

Arboreal: root = arbor = latin

Boreal: root = boreas = greek

Arboreal: root = arbor = latin

Boreal: root = boreas = greek

Did you not understand what I was saying?  You cannot have latin and greek derivation of words in a game where the language is based on roots from a prehistory that does not include latin or greek.  Therefore it is perfectly fine to consider that in the game world Boreal derives from Arboreal.

• Like 2

You guys know Stan Lee just called the stuff that made Bruce Banner the Hulk Gamma Rays cause it sounded cool right?  Don't be so anal.  This is a fantasy universe made by Obsidian they can call the dwarves whatever they want it is fine, our real world definitions don't apply.

• Like 3

I think that boreal dwarfs got their name from boreal climate which is other name for subarctic climate which in here Earth can only be found from northern hemisphere, as in southern hemisphere ocean and ocean currents change climate in those latitudes that there is no southern hemisphere areas with such climate, which is also probably reason why there is no southern version for boreal climate. And as name for boreal dwarfs is to give players picture what kind of climate they are from, it could be counter productive to use conlang word in English version of their race's name (If I remember correctly there is conlang words [in some case several] for every species that occur in PoE). IMO.

You guys know Stan Lee just called the stuff that made Bruce Banner the Hulk Gamma Rays cause it sounded cool right?  Don't be so anal.  This is a fantasy universe made by Obsidian they can call the dwarves whatever they want it is fine, our real world definitions don't apply.

Us dweebs are wired to be precise in that way. Don't be so ignorant.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'm among those who for some reason thought they were dwarves who lived in trees. Hah! Weird.

PoE Dwarves are the Keebler elves?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands