Middle age parent digging your kids cartoons? Here's a thread for you!

IndiraLightfoot

My lad recently watched the latest Fantastic Four film and was a little intrigued by the Silver Surfer, we watched a nice little animated film of it on Youtube tonight, which i'll see about picking up for him on DVD tomorrow. It was quite good really, somewhat majestic and the little one was enthralled.

Are you talking about the 90's cartoon show?

I have fond memories of watching that as a kid. Had a Jack Kirby vibe that meshes really well with cosmic stories.

If you have Netflix, I suggest trying All-Star Superman.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

My lad recently watched the latest Fantastic Four film and was a little intrigued by the Silver Surfer, we watched a nice little animated film of it on Youtube tonight, which i'll see about picking up for him on DVD tomorrow. It was quite good really, somewhat majestic and the little one was enthralled.

I have fond memories of watching that as a kid. Had a Jack Kirby vibe that meshes really well with cosmic stories.

Really? All-Star Superman? That was the worst DC animated movie yet. Story was ass, combined with them trying to reproduce Frank Quitely's terrible art. It was just a big ball of terrible.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Really? All-Star Superman? That was the worst DC animated movie yet. Story was ass, combined with them trying to reproduce Frank Quitely's terrible art. It was just a big ball of terrible.

It isn't as good as the Mini, but it is much better than everything else DC has done post JLU, and Frank Quitely is a fantastic artist.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I am going to be ironic and follow up Oerwinde's Devastator banner with a plug for Transformers: Prime. The show isn't perfect, but it is pretty enjoyable. It is one of my favorite Transformer series since the original. Coming from a G1 purist that means very little, but I like the show.

I also enjoyed what little we received of the new Thundercats although I still love the cheese of the original. The new show seemed to be pretty interesting on their new spin on the old characters, and I read interviews on what would have happened if they continued and it would have been pretty awesome I think. I was pretty pissed when it got the shaft.

The new TMNT is good as well.

I hate many of the good shows are cancelled based on bad toy sales and or dumpy time slots.

It isn't as good as the Mini, but it is much better than everything else DC has done post JLU, and Frank Quitely is a fantastic artist.

Better than Batman: Under the Red Hood, Dark Knight Returns, Wonder Woman, Crisis on Two Earths, JL: Doom, Superman vs the Elite, GL: TAS, GL: First Flight, GL, Emerald Knights, or Young Justice? Agree to disagree I suppose.

And ok, I judge FQ too harshly, its just that whenever I think of his art, I think of this:

9780785155034.jpg

*shudders*

@Ganrich: Transformers: Animated was also pretty dang good, don't remember if that one died due to toy sales or ratings. I know they didn't release season 2 on DVD which made me angry. Thundercats I think died due to toy sales, which is a shame because the toys were good, unlike the Young Justice ones.

Avengers Assemble and Ultimate Spider-Man sadly just aren't even close to as good as Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes or Spectacular Spider-Man, and I can't look passed how two of the best Marvel series ever got canned for stupid reasons. (Spectacular SM due to rights issues, Avengers: EMH due to Jeph Loeb being an idiot in all things and thinking EMH was too complicated)

Devastatorsig.jpg

Better than Batman: Under the Red Hood, Dark Knight Returns, Wonder Woman, Crisis on Two Earths, JL: Doom, Superman vs the Elite, GL: TAS, GL: First Flight, GL, Emerald Knights, or Young Justice? Agree to disagree I suppose.

IMO, yes. Agree to disagree and all that.

And ok, I judge FQ too harshly, its just that whenever I think of his art, I think of this:

9780785155034.jpg

*shudders*

I'll admit that Frank Quitely's faces do look strange sometimes, but I think he is a great artist.

Now terrible is Humberto Ramos.

Superior_Spider-Man_Vol_1_1_Humberto_Ram

What the hell is that? Its like Hellboy dressed as Spider-Man

Devastatorsig.jpg

What the hell is that? Its like Hellboy dressed as Spider-Man

One of the worst artists working in comics drawing Dr.Spiderpuss.

@Oerwinde I agree that toy sales were likely the culprit for Thundercats being cancelled. I remember the toys always being full on the shelves in most stores in my area when I cruised through. It is sad because it only had 1 more season to be completed. I believe its late night time slot (9PM EST IIRC) made it more for nerds like me, and less for kids, and that means less toy sales IMHO. It should have been a Saturday morning affair, and maybe it reran earlier, but I am having trouble remembering.

I liked TF Animated. I really haven't disliked many of the TF shows, but nothing beats my childhood G1 Transformers mostly because I love Starscream and I <3 Chris Latta. Heck, my text ringtone is Starscream's line "Pathetic fools! There's no escape!" from the 80s movie. I do get strange looks when i get texts btw. Anyway, I do show more love to Prime because of Cullen and Welker's involvement.

My lad recently watched the latest Fantastic Four film and was a little intrigued by the Silver Surfer, we watched a nice little animated film of it on Youtube tonight, which i'll see about picking up for him on DVD tomorrow. It was quite good really, somewhat majestic and the little one was enthralled.

This one, seems quite unusual for Marvel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aVwYq3kt7o

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I do not consider myself a mature, responsible adult by any stretch of the imagination, but I haven't even heard of most of those cartoons. I must be getting old, because whenever I see cartoons nowadays, I can't help but think cartoons used to be a lot better...

-Shakes walking stick angrily-

I'll lower the paper if a good Loony Tunes comes on the box, Bug's, Daffy or such. Kill da Wabbit!

Duck Season!

Elmer season!

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Was watching Ben 10 Ultimate Alien this morning. First 3 series of that (Ben 10, Ben10: Alien Force, and Ben 10: Ultimate Alien) were fantastic. Something about thenew one (Ben 10: Omniverse) keeps me feom enjoying it.

@Nonek, I believe Netflix has the complete series of Silver Surfer, along with the 90s X-Men and Spider-Man...and Iron Man, but we best not mention that one.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

Ah thank you Oerwinde, for the life of me I could not find any DVD's of that series.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

That was it. I enjoyed it quite a bit as a child. Too bad they removed it from Netflix.

That was it. I enjoyed it quite a bit as a child. Too bad they removed it from Netflix.

Its still on Canadian netflix if you have a way to access it

Devastatorsig.jpg

Pinky and the Brain.

Ren & Stimpy

Hey Arnold

Rugrats

Babar

Trap Door

Rockos modern life

Afew of my favourite cartoons. I will still happily watch/admit to watching them !

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day...

Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life...

Amazon had a lot of Disney stuff on for cheap. Got Ducktalea, Tale Spin, and Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers for like 6 bucks per volume, so I got them all. Watching "Ducktales woo woo" with my 2 year old now

Devastatorsig.jpg

Avatar has so outgrown being a kids' cartoon it's not funny. I bet the first season finale gave many a child nightmares, between Koizilla and Koh the Facestealer.

Avatar WAS outgrowing being a kids cartoon and was doign well. But it dissapointed me completely at the end.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I can't see what you mean. I was disappointed by it as well, but even the finale dealt with some pretty dark subject matter including genocide and the death penalty. I mean, it dealt with it badly, but it didn't shy away from adult subjects.

I'm talking about the first series now. Korra, on a whole, has been pretty bad. Trying too hard, I feel.

Watched the first season too by now, and I feel the same. They tried a bit too hard most of the time and the end felt really weak. It could have been a quite good story, imo, but they rushed and apparently had to finish it already in season 1. Also there was no real character progression. Just fan-service with characters from the original Avatar show.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Green Lantern:TAS is on Netflix Canada. It started out not bad but by the end was extremely strong. Great character development. I wouldn't be surprised if they added Razor and Aya to the comics.

Devastatorsig.jpg