Procreation is pointless and unethical

dimon3000

From a personal and emotional perspective, I will add that my life was lacking any real purpose until I had children.   

Man, that's sad. :p

It's ok, you don't notice until afterwards   ;)

It's interesting that the original poster completely ignored my logical argument and only addressed the emotional one.  

As for cloning instead of reproducing...do you know anything about cloning?  It is far from a perfect science.  Our biological reproductions are still far superior to anything they've cooked up in a lab. 

Our biological reproductions are still far superior to anything they've cooked up in a lab. 

"Know what I mean? Know what I mean? Nudge, nudge. Wink wink. Say no more!"

• Like 5

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Our biological reproductions are still far superior to anything they've cooked up in a lab. 

"Know what I mean? Know what I mean? Nudge, nudge. Wink wink. Say no more!"

From the purely analytical perspective, shouldn't we try to achieve the best of both worlds, and have sex in laboratories?

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Deploy the foot penises!

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I think the OP saw Zardoz and thought that it was the most poignant and thought-provoking movie ever. 

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Overpopulation is irrelevant. I'm talking about death, fear and suffering that all conscious beings experience.

Do you dress in black a lot? Just curious.

Hey we all go through our awkward stages :p

It will get better eventually new poster.

CONDMINI.jpg

• Like 1

Just a thought. Has the OP ever tried just laughing at cats?

• Like 2

-Elwood Blues

I think that the OP thinks that he/she is the only one in the whole world that truly understands Morrissey's sadness.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I think the OP saw Zardoz and thought that it was the most poignant and thought-provoking movie ever. 

The gun is good. The **** is evil. The **** shoots seeds, and makes new life to poison the Earth with a plague of men, as once it was, but the gun shoots death, and purifies the Earth of the filth of brutals. Go forth ... and kill!

You have to admit, it is the most poignant and thought-provoking movie to ever feature Sean Connery, Charlotte Rampling, a giant floating stone head and a Webley-Fosbery automatic revolver.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Careful there, you just gazed down the abyss...

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Careful there, you just gazed down the abyss...

I've actually seen Zardoz several times...

...doesn't seem to have hurt me beyond my penchant for dressing in a red diaper with black go-go boots on.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 2

I should add that when I said cats earlier I meant house cats.

One reason to bring a child into this world is that there is a non-zero probability that they will tickle a leopard's soft underbelly.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 1

-Elwood Blues

I have no idea if a non-zero probability means it is possible or impossible, however I would think the odds would vary depending on how close you live to said leopard.  

And given current fashion trends, I'd say the odds that a child will come into contact with leopard print to be very high, which we should probably chalk in the 'reasons to not reproduce' column.

edit:  I was really hoping we'd get more traction out of this thread, but the original poster seems uninterested in seeing it through.

Edited by Hurlshot

From a personal and emotional perspective, I will add that my life was lacking any real purpose until I had children.  What is the point of growth and wisdom if I do not pass it on to the next generation?  Sure, I can share some experience with my students.  I can write a book or create something that will outlast me.  But you really can't beat having your own genetic material and helping to shape it day by day into a functional adult.  

Life has no meaning or purpose other than to just be.

Yes you can.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

If you're trying to introduce an imaginary friend called Jesus as being more demanding than kids then even as a childless wonder I'd have to admit you're wrong.

-Elwood Blues

From a personal and emotional perspective, I will add that my life was lacking any real purpose until I had children.  What is the point of growth and wisdom if I do not pass it on to the next generation?  Sure, I can share some experience with my students.  I can write a book or create something that will outlast me.  But you really can't beat having your own genetic material and helping to shape it day by day into a functional adult.  

Life has no meaning or purpose other than to just be.

Yes you can.

Well, that's just, like, your opinion man...

• Like 1

You're talking about children.  The cute little innocent things that hug you in exchange for food.  But ... they grow.  And when they get to be teenagers, they stop listening and start doing stupid **** that makes you tear your hair out.  They don't become 'functional' at least until age 30 (at which time you can at least teach them the words 'I told you so'.)

• Like 1

Or perhaps you just fail as a parent.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Nah, mine are 30 now--I can look back and laugh, and overall I think I got my money's worth for all the gray hair.  My point was that it's a good theory that you can pass on your own collected wisdom and knowledge, but that often doesn't work because the young often don't/won't listen (although on some level I do believe they hear).  And in fact I recall my grandmother had said the same thing, about the impossibility of putting an 'old head on new shoulders'.

Edited by kalimeeri