Nelson Mandela, dead at 95

Malcador

Explain to me what is wrong with Obama talking and joking to the Prime Minister of Denmark?

I assume it's the taking a "selfie" thing, which was what Walsh's link a few posts above was about. That or the notion that Michelle might have been jealous.

I don't understand the "selfie" thing myself, as long as they weren't doing it in the middle of someone's eulogy speech or something. But I didn't see it, so...whatever.

Yes good points and I agree. Also the memorial service was done is African style, which meant people were singing and also celebrating the life of Nelson Mandela. So I don't see the issue with people taking  a "selfie"

Mandela would have wanted people to celebrate his life and death in a way they felt was appropriate. Another consideration is what was Obama suppose to say to the Danish PM..." No thanks I don't want a photo with you and David Cameron".....now that would have been rude and against the principles of what Mandela stood for :).

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I should reiterate that I can't express my contempt for the habit of wearing US flag pins. We all know what ****ing country you're from. Have the confidence in your actions to not need a sodding badge. You don't work in a drive-thru.

I too am not a fan of the particular brand of patriotism demonstrated by America.

You might drop a line to your own pols to tell them about it while you are at it.

Copying a crap pin badge fad is probably even worse than starting it. Good job Cameron's not a renowned prick then, I guess.

• Like 1

Dirty deeds done cheap.

It's not rocket science. It's a ****ing funeral. I wouldn't laugh around like that if I never even met the guy.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It's not rocket science. It's a ****ing funeral. I wouldn't laugh around like that if I never even met the guy.

Without being pedantic, it wasn't a funeral it was a memorial service and these events are suppose to also be about the celebration of the life of the person. So singing and laughing wouldn't be considered incongruous

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Without being pedantic, it wasn't a funeral it was a memorial service and these events are suppose to also be about the celebration of the life of the person. So singing and laughing wouldn't be considered incongruous

I hate to relinquish a good fury, but I can see your point. On the other hand ... dead guy.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Some mourn in somber reflection. Some celebrate a life that was. Often with the latter style, while there's also some somber moments, laughing, joking, and even dancing is done/accepted. They're just...different ways of coming to terms. It doesn't always have to be about being super serious.

And as BruceVC said, a memorial service is often a very different thing than the actual funeral service (in my head anyway).

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Not sure something so self-congratulatory as a bleeding selfie would ever be appropriate at a funeral even is there was dancing and whatnot. A selfie doesn't celebrate anybody other than the person in it.

• Like 1

Dirty deeds done cheap.

Not sure something so self-congratulatory as a bleeding selfie would ever be appropriate at a funeral even is there was dancing and whatnot. A selfie doesn't celebrate anybody other than the person in it.

To put this in context, we Englishers have been reflecting on the selfie in recent media.

-Elwood Blues

To put this in context, we Englishers have been reflecting on the selfie in recent media.

Ah now it makes sense, so basically you are doing what Englishman are renowned for  ....complaining when there is no real reason to complain :p

John Milton 

Ah now it makes sense, so basically you are doing what Englishman are renowned for  ....complaining when there is no real reason to complain :p

No reason? He's cavorting around with a bunch of Johnnies like some sort of Frenchman. Man needs to learn some decorum.

• Like 2

Dirty deeds done cheap.

like some sort of Frenchman

"like some sort of Frenchman"

Okay that was funny :lol:

John Milton 

Oh my god is that Helle Thorning. 

Mandela died at a ripe old age having succeeded in his struggle to liberate his country. People aren't there because they are sad, they are there to pay tribute. Some people are also narcissists who wouldn't turn down a chance for a pic with Obama and Cameron no matter the circumstances.

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Truest thing you've ever written. Suits, pins and them not treating it like a Catholic service, heh. 

And now, the sign language person was a fraud apparently - http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/nelson-mandela-ceremony-sign-language-interpreter-a-fake-1.2459469

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Truest thing you've ever written. Suits, pins and them not treating it like a Catholic service, heh. 

And now, the sign language person was a fraud apparently - http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/nelson-mandela-ceremony-sign-language-interpreter-a-fake-1.2459469

Yeah this sign language fiasco is a real disgrace. All the radio stations are trying to track the guy down, apparently he wasn't signing at all and was just waving his hands. Its really shocking how he conned the organizers of the memorial service that he was qualified to use sign language :bat:

John Milton 

Cheers Greet Mugabe At Mandela Funeral

ZIMBABWEAN President Robert Mugabe received a standing ovation at the funeral of former South African President Nelson Mandela while the country's president Jacob Zuma was booed.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201312101528.html

http://www.newsdzezimbabwe.co.uk/2013/12/mugabe-cheered-zuma-booed-in-soweto.html

http://ethiopianewsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67817#p412315

Mandela librate South African after bitter struggle.but the libration not completed,he kept home work for the next generation so called diplomatic solution .Mugabe undermine the diplomatic solution allows his nation to march for the final goal

Looks like these people IRL not so easy can be fooled by colonizators as International media try represent.

1386568956-2dcea63bdb8dfbb16134c06a0314c

I think everything is only began in SA, real fight begin in future.

Yeah this sign language fiasco is a real disgrace. All the radio stations are trying to track the guy down, apparently he wasn't signing at all and was just waving his hands. Its really shocking how he conned the organizers of the memorial service that he was qualified to use sign language :bat:

In fairness what kind of ****ing halfwit goes on a globally televised performance not knowing how to do the job? especially when not knowing how to do it means you are going to take the piss out of the most loved man in national history.

Although having said that, it shouldn't have been hard to at least check his references.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

In fairness what kind of ****ing halfwit goes on a globally televised performance not knowing how to do the job? especially when not knowing how to do it means you are going to take the piss out of the most loved man in national history.

Although having said that, it shouldn't have been hard to at least check his references.

The kind of guy who wants that sweet money at the end and gave a fake name, maybe

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The kind of guy who wants that sweet money at the end and gave a fake name, maybe

The other logical conclusion is that he was _already_ on a sweet deal and was too chicken to admit anything and lose what he already had.

I'm making an educated guess that he'd be a sign language interpreter already in a government posting who basically got THAT job without knowing how to do it and thanks to the aforementioned workplace culture wasn't motivated enough to learn, either.

EDIT: This might explain why he's not already been 'traced'.

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

I think oby's doing a rather half-hearted anti-colonial, support Mugabe jive.

-Elwood Blues

So more news around this charlatan. The various government spokesmen don't know who hired him and neither does any other government department. But he will get tracked down eventually.

You may be wondering "how could a person who can't sign get through security checks to be appointed as the official sign language interpretor of the memorial service ?"

Well to be fair to the organisers there were hundreds of other security, logistical and organisational checks that had to be done for the memorial service so this one just slipped through the cracks. But it is embarrassing so this person really needs to be charged with some kind of criminal offense once he is identified

John Milton