GDC slides including new awesome screenshots

Regarding the 2 character portraits...

Please, don't tell me that Edair (?) will have this stalk of grass coming out from his mouth. Rednecky.

Ouch! I hurt my eyes rolling them back into my head... :lol:

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'd like more context for the "Return of the Curse of Scooby-Doo" slide. Perhaps something about whether enemies always stay in the same place in a dungeon or move around?

It's about incorporating 3D elements into the 2D scene in a way that causes them to blend properly.  The Scooby-Doo effect is when dynamic objects appear to be a much different shade of color compared to everything else around it.

• Like 1

Please, don't tell me that Edair (?) will have this stalk of grass coming out from his mouth. Rednecky.

Ouch! I hurt my eyes rolling them back into my head... :lol:

Perhaps, but what about a cigarillo in the corner of some NPCs mouth? Will there be tobacco in PE? I assume drinking and alcohol is in as a vice.

I want to meet cool dudes like this:

tmwb.jpg

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

It's about incorporating 3D elements into the 2D scene in a way that causes them to blend properly.  The Scooby-Doo effect is when dynamic objects appear to be a much different shade of color compared to everything else around it.

Did the use of that image have anything to do with the fact that Shaggy is opening a door (well a Mummy Door) and in the screenshot the PCs are about to open a door to find a Nasty surprise?

• Like 1

EDIT: But I love the use of crests already!

*ahem*. I believe the correct term is "rural." u_u

8)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Perhaps, but what about a cigarillo in the corner of some NPCs mouth? Will there be tobacco in PE? I assume drinking and alcohol is in as a vice.

I want to meet cool dudes like this:

tmwb.jpg

I could picture a character like some of the work of Diego Velazquez. A phlegmatic noble with a graceful mien, entering middle age, with fair olive skin and dark, well-trimmed facial hair.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Does anyone know if the spell effects are placeholder or can we expect to see further improvement? Just thinking that the one thing I don't really like about the spell effects is the over-use of lens flare despite the glow being somewhat cool with it lighting up the environment etc Just don't want it to resemble a Michael Bay movie lol

Everything's temp until we ship. :)

We're still messing around with various effects and probably will be for a long time.

Scientific method, FTW!

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

all cool stuff, though I hope the characters and races are very distinguishable with unique silhouettes. I was having a difficult time making out what classes and races I was looking at.

My first thought exactly. They look nice, but i have a feeling we might have some problems recognising which character is which on the screen.

I think it's because some of the shadows on the character's textures are very black and if you look at it from afar they all blend together too much. Maybe add a secondary light from below, since the floor is basically a soft light reflector?

Edited by Cubiq

I like the spell effects, lightning and firey-magic-missiles 8) - though I'd personally make the orb a bit more transparent.

Perhaps being able to distinguish characters and classes will become easier when we get to know what a PE druid/mage/monk looks like.

I forget if we could easily distinguish a fighter/paladin/cleric in plate-mail in BG before they performed some class specific action (?)  Mages in robes were easy of course and rogues would often wear a hood but I'm not sure about the others.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I actually think the Magic Missiles are the worst effect of the lot, but it's hard to tell because it probably looks better in fast motion.

The best magic missile spell effect is the original Baldur's Gate one, but it doesn't look as good in a still screen as the darker red orb surrounding the screen isn't very noticeable in motion, and I think it changes in size?

bgbg_16.jpg

But yeah I sincerely hope that Obsidian do not go down the "lens flare" style of spell effects for Eternity.

This is another area where paying homage to the IE games will be good. Spells only need to have a distinctive, cool animation - they do not have to be flashy and use any special lighting technologies or anything.

• Like 2

In that screenshot it doesn't have the 3d acceleration option enabled in the Config.exe, and that's why you see the black edge around the glowing orbs. If you enable it the black thing around it will dissapear.

Edited by Cubiq
  • Like 1

I forget if we could easily distinguish a fighter/paladin/cleric in plate-mail in BG before they performed some class specific action (?)  Mages in robes were easy of course and rogues would often wear a hood but I'm not sure about the others.

Characters of the same race and sex had the same sprites with different tints.  Due to weapon and armor proficiency restrictions, you could often tell a character's class pretty easily.  In PE, it's more difficult because those restrictions don't exist.

• Like 8