The NFL 2013 Thread

Keyrock

"They had opportunity after opportunity after opportunity to grind out a drive and ice the game and they failed every time.  The only reason they won is because Manning threw yet another pick.  They didn't close out anything, the G-Men handed them that win, even after the Cowboys tried to hand it back again and again and again.  There is a difference between closing a game out and having a game handed to you.  I've been watching the Cowboys for decades.  In the last several years it's been the same story again and again.  They get a lead and head into the 4th.  At this point a good team would grind out a 6 or 7 minute capped off by a score which would kill the clock and ice the game.  The Cowboys regularly fail to do this and more often than not lose because of it.  The Giants simply tried to lose harder than the Cowboys this time around."

Cowboys closed out. Period.

btw, Eli didn't 'throw' a pick no matter what the stats say there. His receiver decided to be a juggler not a catcher.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"As usual, the Cowboys couldn't close a game out in the 4th quarter"

What game were you watching? They came into the 4th with the lead and ended it with the lead. That is the definition of closing. It doesn't matter if the other team did poor. Dallas was better on this night and I say that as a Giants fan. Don't make stuff up. Lying is rude.

They had opportunity after opportunity after opportunity to grind out a drive and ice the game and they failed every time.  The only reason they won is because Manning threw yet another pick.  They didn't close out anything, the G-Men handed them that win, even after the Cowboys tried to hand it back again and again and again.  There is a difference between closing a game out and having a game handed to you.  I've been watching the Cowboys for decades.  In the last several years it's been the same story again and again.  They get a lead and head into the 4th.  At this point a good team would grind out a 6 or 7 minute capped off by a score which would kill the clock and ice the game.  The Cowboys regularly fail to do this and more often than not lose because of it.  The Giants simply tried to lose harder than the Cowboys this time around.

I'll serve as the local Giants fan to ratify this.  (Volo doesn't count.  If I look around a bit I'm sure I can still find a thread where he called Coughlin the worst coach ever.   R00fles!) 

Hidden factor:  A live ball hit the ground in contested situations 6 times in that game.  (3 Giants fumbles, 2 Cowboys fumbles, and 1 onside kick that ended in a loose-ball scrum.)  Every single one bounced directly to a player wearing a Cowboys uniform.  Say what you want about "hustle" and "awareness," none of that gives a team the ability to telekinetically direct the bounce of an oblong ball.  Every statistical study I've seen has concluded that fumble recovery is basically random.  Going 0-for-6 (or 6-for-6) on recoveries is not likely to recur in a given season. 

Both teams played a pretty lousy game last night.  That said, I am somewhat brightened by the areas where the team exceeded my expectations.  The secondary held up better than anticipated-- their top priority was clearly limiting Dez Bryant, which they did quite well, even after their best CB left with a concussion in the early 2nd half.  And they established in their passing game that they have 3 WRs who can pretty consistently beat single-coverage (even from pretty good CBs).  That last element is big part of what got NYG a championship in 2011.

(Were I a Cowboys fan *shudders*, I would be happy with the W, and cheered by the strong performance from depth on their DL, and that their interior OL was not as awful as feared.)

"(Volo doesn't count.  If I look around a bit I'm sure I can still find a thread where he called Coughlin the worst coach ever.   R00fles!)"

Coughlin's success is 100% because of Eli.  Whose decision was it to get rid of our good Rbs and stick us with crappy ones? Inspite of Eli's 3 interceptions (2 of which weren't his fault), he was gangbusters throwing 4TDs and for 400+ yards.

Coughlin may not be the 'worst' coach but he is not the reason why the Giants are so competitive.

Fastest-ever touchdown in Chargers history, +15 secs. Later, longest-ever run by QB Philip Rivers, an eye-watering 18 yards. Finally, third game in Chargers history, up by 20 or more points, only to lose in the end. Texans clicked off yardage in the 4th like an unobstructed, billion-barrel oil tanker down the Rio Grande.

All Stop. On Screen.

Fastest-ever touchdown in Chargers history, +15 secs. Later, longest-ever run by QB Philip Rivers, an eye-watering 18 yards. Finally, third game in Chargers history, up by 20 or more points, only to lose in the end. Texans clicked off yardage in the 4th like an unobstructed, billion-barrel oil tanker down the Rio Grande.

I didn't get to watch the second half because on the east coast the late Monday game is on so late that I'd either be late for work or a zombie the next day if I were to watch the whole thing.  Did the Bolts go into the prevent in the 4th?  Because I find that's the fastest and most efficient way to blow a lead.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

You want more proof how Coughlin is overrated?  This is a guy who ****canned a good RB in Brandon Jacobs and labeled and slammed him as ';finished' yet now is BEGGING Jacobs to return to the team after the game 1 debacle. LMAO

So if special teams is on the field, set up for a field goal, and the defense even touches the center, apparently, after the snap, that defender can be called for a personal foul, resulting in an automatic first down. Which is what happened last night against Houston, whose field goal turned into a touchdown, bringing the Texans within 7 of the Chargers, humiliating San Diego into complacency. Houston ended up winning by 3 points. Now the NFL says that the unnecessary roughness penalty was simply "incidental contact" and should not have been called. Damn opening weekend.  

Next week SD is in Philadelphia, so if the Cowboys wouldn't mind beating KC that weekend, I promise we'll even out the Eagles. Maybe. I hate going 0-2.   

All Stop. On Screen.

Yeah, I didn't see it live, but when they showed that "roughing the snapper" call (I had no idea such a penalty existed), my reaction was "That's a penalty?  They made regular football contact on that play.  There was nothing egregious."  Seriously, why don't they just go ahead and pin flags on the sides of the player's uniforms already, because that's where we're heading anyway.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yeah, I didn't see it live, but when they showed that "roughing the snapper" call (I had no idea such a penalty existed), my reaction was "That's a penalty?  They made regular football contact on that play.  There was nothing egregious."  Seriously, why don't they just go ahead and pin flags on the sides of the player's uniforms already, because that's where we're heading anyway.

Iirc it's just long snappers due to their head down stance, but I didn't see the game anyway.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

peterson.gif

dude is just awesome .............

Agreed.  It should be noted, however, that he rushed for practically nothing the entire rest of the game.  Still, that run was fun to watch.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

peterson.gif

dude is just awesome .............

Agreed.  It should be noted, however, that he rushed for practically nothing the entire rest of the game.  Still, that run was fun to watch.

I didn't follow the Lions-Vikes game.   In fact, aside from the Saints/Falcons the only other clip I saw was Suh's cheap shot ...  lol

Oh, woops, I see that San Diego has lost the last six road games versus NFC opponents, and they're about to play in Philly, who hasn't won at home for a year. I'm sure SD will also break the consecutive streak of the last four opponents at Philadelphia's season home opener going on to win the Super Bowl. *sigh*

All Stop. On Screen.

Ugh, it's so miserable being a Cowboys fan.  They're so awfully mediocre.  They have these flashes during the games where they look good and like an actual professional football team, then they go through stretches that make you cringe as you watch them.  Just ridiculously sloppy and boneheaded plays.  Case in point, the end of today's game against the chiefs.  Cowboys are down by 1, 15 seconds to go, on their own 4, no timeouts left.  Granted, they're not going to win the game anyway, barring a major miracle, but they should at least give a good effort.  So what does Romo do?  He throws a check down to the -1 yard line smack dab in the middle of the field.  Winds up being a 10 yard gain or so and the clock runs out.  Why the **** would you throw a check down to the middle of the field in that situation?  What, the running back is going to get 101 yards after catch?

Might as well pencil the team in for another 8-8 season.

/headbutts wall

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Between the close game against the Pats week 1, and this last (2) second win against Carolina today...

The signs that NE seems to be at their worst in years, and the division's ripe for the taking. Kind of like how the 2010 NFC West was.

A lot of our key, young talent looks like they're going to do great, especially our QB early on so far.

Seems like a reason to be optimistic.

Of course, we have looked great early on a lot in the past decade.

Then the soul crushing defeats start happening next month. They find such creative ways to finish 6-10 or 7-9.

They should be able to delay that a bit as long as they don't resign Manuel in the middle of the season, or we get rid of November.

Go Bills!

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

I was expecting 60-70 points on the board in Seattle, but no. And all the announcers admitted they thought Philadelphia would put up 70 against the Chargers today, but no, thank the ghost of Dan Fouts. Who is still alive. Damn Dan Dierdorf couldn't hide his preference for the Eagles, not at all like Phil Simms calling the Manning Bowl and somehow keeping it impartial, even with his old team on-field. Next week the Titans will fall to the Chargers.  

All Stop. On Screen.

Man, I knew the Seahawks defense was good, but holy **** they're good.

Looks like I'll have to watch that game too. The thing about Gamepass's price that it really motivates you to watch a lot of games. :D

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Man, I knew the Seahawks defense was good, but holy **** they're good.

3 points and barely 200 yds allowed and 5 turnovers forced  is a major beat down.  I agree; those guys are scary good.

136 decibels whilst in the huddle and line of scrimmage can mess up any offensive play calling. Seattle definitely has the home crowd advantage there. They were publicly and unashamedly trying to (and successfully) break the world record for loudest sporting event. Just so happens they purposely crank it up when the. 49ers have the ball.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle