What are you reading?

syn2083

*off-topic comment about patrimony deleted*

I'm currently reading a rather weird book by an ex-SS man called Erich Stahl. I simply cannot believe it's non-fiction. The anecdotes he gives are far too pat, and illustrative of his views.

Yet, strangely, it's filed under non-fiction. Mind you, I did find it in a charity shop.

You often find weird and wonderful tomes in charity shops. I once bought the memoirs of a barber who fought in the Spanish civil war.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

I enjoyed the first Witcher book, but it was essentially a world building book. No driving narrative, just a bunch of short stories. Supposedly the ones after that are more of an ongoing plot.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Steam Legion by Evan Currie.

An interesting twist on steampunk by sending it back to the Library of Alexandria in the Roman Era.

When the revolts against the Empire reach the city of Alexandria, a small cadre of Legionnaires find themselves thrust into a revolution not of religion but of technology. Watch as Dyna of Sparta, Heron of Alexandria, and those who stand with them forge a new path to the future. Epic military action mixed with sparkling and memorable characters brings Legion to life, while forgotten technologies of our own distant past provide hope in an uncertain world.

A nice mix of characters set in an unusual time zone, a mix of the early Israeli revolts and elements of corrupt Roman politics in the time of Nero as the kick-off, leaving the Spartan lady Dyna heir of the line of Spartan kings and current student of one of the leading inventors of the time to organise the defense of the Library as it's threatened to be razed by the zealots. Thus, leading into practical applications of Archimedes Steam Cannons and various other devices that can be fashioned in the midst of old-fashioned clash of Legions. Although it wraps up one element of the central storyline, it certainly leaves it hanging and room for sequels to follow.            

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Neuromancer by William Gibson

Even after all these years it still has the best response of finding alien life.

"From where?"

"Centauri system."

"Oh," Case said. "Yeah? No ****?"

"No ****."

• Like 2

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I've been listening to "Warbound: Book 3 of the Grimnoir Chronicles". It's got a bit of everything, superpowers, magic, zombies, demons, ninjas, samurai, pirates, a 1940's style detective as the lead character, humour, drama, horror, a mystery, a war, just to name a few. It's kind of like a novelization of Shadowrun except in a prohibition era setting rather than a futuristic one. Terrific books, I love them.    

Read more than half the second The Witcher book. It is much better than the first one. It's more like each chapter is a mini adventure. I like it a lot and I actually like Geralt's character.

The first was like that too though.

Started on my Complete Sherlock Holmes. I think I'm almost done a Study in Scarlet. Not bad so far. Have an urge to quit and read the next Barsoom book though

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

Read more than half the second The Witcher book. It is much better than the first one. It's more like each chapter is a mini adventure. I like it a lot and I actually like Geralt's character.

The first was like that too though.

Started on my Complete Sherlock Holmes. I think I'm almost done a Study in Scarlet. Not bad so far. Have an urge to quit and read the next Barsoom book though

That is true, however, I find them more interesting in this book. Can't really say why.

Well, I look forward to reading it eventually. Lots to read before that happens and I'm not particularly speedy

Devastatorsig.jpg

I've been reading loads of stuff, mainly cheap indie books off Kindle.

There's stacks of talent and good reads out there for very little money.

Any chance you could, you know, give us the titles and authors?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It can wildly depend on your taste and willingness to put up with lack of proper editing.

There are a lot of interesting indie sci-fi , pulpy adventure stuff.  Sure, some of it isn't as elegant or deep as you might find otherwise... but there can still be some gems hidden away even in a serious mary sue story.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Well, I've recently read...

Marko Kloos, Terms of Enlistment, a decent chunk of military sci-fi in the Starship Troopers tradition... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Terms-Enlistment-Marko-Kloos-ebook/dp/B00CIXX144/ref=pd_sim_kinc_4

Andy Johnson, Seelowe Nord, a Boy's Own style counter-factual about a Nazi invasion of the North of England (based on a scenario the author wrote as a serving soldier)... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seel%C3%B6we-Nord-Andy-Johnson-ebook/dp/B005QMEUFS/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1389631425&sr=1-1&keywords=seelowe+nord

DJ Molles, 'The Remaining' Series - very pulpy survivalist zombie goodness... http://www.amazon.co.uk/D.J.-Molles/e/B007QPRLYA/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1389631615&sr=8-2-ent

• Like 2

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'm reading part 2 of Justin Cronin's trilogy about a post-apocalyptic USA (world) after a horrific outbreak turning people into vampiric "virals". It's called The Twelve. I found the first book, The Passage, when hurrying through an airport, catching a plane. And it blew me away. It was really exciting and well written. I mean, it isn't Fallout or Mad Max, but it has that kind of vibe to it at times, and the story is very crisp and focussed, sometimes even mildly creepy.

Monte Carlo: I've got a feeling you may like them.

And the third book will be released this year.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I just finished King of Foxes. A great book in a series of about 10+

I highly suggest it for fans of abit of sword and magic themed books.

Edited by BLnoT

Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day...

Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life...

stoppes the Sherlock Holmes qhen I remembered I had bought a Memory of Light, so onto thar now

Devastatorsig.jpg

I just finished King of Foxes. A great book in a series of about 10+

I highly suggest it for fans of abit of sword and magic themed books.

:lol:  No one here meets that description... yeah right!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

stoppes the Sherlock Holmes qhen I remembered I had bought a Memory of Light, so onto thar now

Holy typos Batman.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

I am just about to start The Soilder Son saga by Robin Hobb.

She has afew other saga's:

The Farseer Trilogy ( Amazing! )

The Liveship Traders ( Pritty good )

The Tawny Man ( Amazing! )

They all interlock with eachother, and are a fantasic set of books to read.

The Soilder Son is her fourth saga ( which doesnt seem to interlock with the others ) so we'll see how it goes.

I also seem to have lost half my Magician series by Raymond E. Feist. So i had to order  9 more books  > . <

Edited by BLnoT

Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day...

Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life...

Well, The Sword of Destiny is done. I really liked it. I still haven't finished The Witcher 2 because I didn't like the combat. This book has still managed to make me excited for The Witcher 3. I hope some of the things from the book would make it into the third game, but I doubt it.

Thinking of ordering The Mistborn books. I'll have to read them in English since they aren't translated to Swedish as far as I know.

Edited by Labadal

Inbetween books at the moment.

Probably going to read John Dies At the End by David Wong soon.

Kinda feel like re-reading the Hitchhiker's "Trilogy" for the... dunno how manys times I've done it. lol

I usually stop after the third book though. The last two have their moments, but they're overall disappointing.