What you having for dinner tonight?

BruceVC

What do you guys do to spice up your rice?

I enjoyed my dinner but the rice was lacking in flavour

I let my rice cool just a bit then saute it in a bit of olive oil with chopped up veggies (whatever strikes your fancy) and a dash or two of soy sauce. I like it a bit browned. Super good. I've even taken the leftovers the next morning and added eggs to it, scrambling it all together.

In California, we call that fried rice. :)

Yeah it's kind of like fried rice but the veggies aren't cooked all the way through and the rice, being already cooked, only gets a little browned. I like it better than the more traditional fried rice. My boyfriend adds sriracha to his.

• Like 2

Ah thanks for all the tips around Rice guys, I got some good tips :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Pork Chops and Mash for supper tonight with a homemade honey barbeque sauce  :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Last night I ordered a pepperoni and bacon pizza, which is also my lunch for today.

Pizza is just one of those foods that can be just as tasty the next day

John Milton 

Lamb chump chops. Coating for same made of cornflour, allspice, salt, pepper, coriander seed. Coat chops, shallow fry until golden brown on both sides. Added a quarter bottle of red wine, and a teaspoon of smoked paprika. Covered and steamed/seethed for 30 minutes. Came out with a rich red wine gravy, meat soft and tender. Ate with oatcakes, because that's what I had handy.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Lamb chump chops. Coating for same made of cornflour, allspice, salt, pepper, coriander seed. Coat chops, shallow fry until golden brown on both sides. Added a quarter bottle of red wine, and a teaspoon of smoked paprika. Covered and steamed/seethed for 30 minutes. Came out with a rich red wine gravy, meat soft and tender. Ate with oatcakes, because that's what I had handy.

Walsie do you cook all these meals yourself ? You seem to be quite the little aspiring Jamie Oliver :)

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Ate 3 hamburgers in square wonder bread with ketchup, dressing, salad and tomatoes. Had some fried french fries with that. Feel a bit like a pig, but it was worth it.

Holy Smoke !!! You little hog :p

But you have lost all that weight and are back into running so you should treat yourself

John Milton 

Walsie do you cook all these meals yourself ? You seem to be quite the little aspiring Jamie Oliver :)

I do indeed. Principles are pretty straightforward: don't be afraid of fat, or of flavour; if it looks good raw, it will eat good cooked; layer flavours so there are no 'gaps'; respect the grain and the vine, in cooking and on the table.

;p

• Like 2

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I sometimes eat like a madman, but mostly after I have done some intensive workout. I just can't resist meat. I made sure to have a lots of vegetables at hand.  8)

No regrets!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F5Cw2AEyQo

I also love my meat. Have you ever eaten an Eisbein?

John Milton 

I sometimes eat like a madman, but mostly after I have done some intensive workout. I just can't resist meat. I made sure to have a lots of vegetables at hand.  8)

No regrets!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F5Cw2AEyQo

I also love my meat. Have you ever eaten an Eisbein?

There is something similar here in Sweden called Fläsklägg. I've tried that. I've only eaten it grilled and I have never eaten the skin.

I remember my father buying pigs feet cheap at the butchers and the whole family feasting on them. A lot of common cuts were only considered dog food back in the day. Including spare ribs!

Always keep that in mind if you're on a budget, although the problem nowadays is that the gas or electric for cooking also costs a lot. So stewing cuts can be a problem, unless you're renting all inclusive.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

I remember my father buying pigs feet cheap at the butchers and the whole family feasting on them. A lot of common cuts were only considered dog food back in the day. Including spare ribs!

Always keep that in mind if you're on a budget, although the problem nowadays is that the gas or electric for cooking also costs a lot. So stewing cuts can be a problem, unless you're renting all inclusive.

Its interesting you say that but nowadays pig trotters can be found on many fine dining or French restaurants.

John Milton 

My uncle used to buy jars of pickled pigs feet. Big jars. He ate them as they were, or on crackers with mustards and olives and other such toppings, including smelly cheeses.

• Like 1

Tonight I'm having Butternut Soup

John Milton 

Sausages, steam fried, with courgettes on top of them in the pan. Boiled potatoes in their skin.

-Elwood Blues

I had a nice lobster bisque for lunch

not quite what I want to make for dinner yet but thinking about a risotto

It's entirely possible I've only ever had crap bisques, but I am fairly sure that the concept is just a bit rubbish. A soup that is both sickly cloying, AND watery.

-Elwood Blues