What you having for dinner tonight?

BruceVC

Ended up making a massaman curry with beef

I'm now very envious of you :(

I love most kinds of curry, but the Massaman and the Lababdar will always have a special place. Especially with freshly baked Naan to dip in it.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Ended up making a massaman curry with beef

I'm now very envious of you :(

I love most kinds of curry, but the Massaman and the Lababdar will always have a special place. Especially with freshly baked Naan to dip in it.

I also luvvvvvvvvv curry :wub:

We have a very large and active Indian community in South Africa so we get spoilt for choice when it comes to Indian cuisine

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Learned a new word today - rapproachment.

Thanks Wals!

I like that it resembles 'rapport'. Odd that 'ro' and 'or' are switched. 

Is eating hearts common? I'm afraid that sounds as enticing as bloody oyster-shooters. I need some broccoli to wash out my eyes. 

I wouldn't say it was common, but in some ways it is. British people are absolutely comfortable eating Mystery Meat if it's processed.

However, show them a chicken gizzard, lamb's heart, or cow's cheek in its unedited form and they freak out and run in small circles waving their arms and shouting. It's just childish, and certainly sub-optimal for cash and flavour.

Lamb's hearts, as I say, turned out to be very tender, gamey and grassy flavoured, and only unfortunate in their presentation. Boiled in broth and then thinly sliced, under a rich sauce you could serve them at a silver service dinner, and be feted as a champion.

• Like 3

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well not dinner, but I had some rollmop herrings for a lunch snack. Very tasty , but with the slight case of burping I've had this afternoon I keep getting that bit of vinegar aftertaste hitting the back of my mouth which is a little offputting.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I love rollmop herrings! Although it annoys me that you can only get the sweet kind in supermarkets these days. they're supposed to be sharp, eaten with buttered brown bread (IMO).

I shall be having the second half of my soup from yesterday, with a few added potatos and oats.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Boiled cows head, tortillas, salsa, and tequila.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The soup was a bit too fatty to be really enjoyable. But I did get value from reboiling the oxtail. Melted all the tougher parts and became eminently gnawable. Put in too much salt, though. Ruined the stock!

Toast and jam for pudding, and to take some of the salt taste away. :)

Licorice tea.

-Elwood Blues

Feeling low.

Tea.

Boiled up a thick-walled stockpot with water. Roughly two litres.

Added three good quality black tea bags. Cinnamon, cardamom pods, cloves, cracked black pepper, crushed fresh ginger, all to a good quantity.

Seethed for perhaps twenty minutes.

After this time, added a tablespoon of brown sugar and another of molasses. Boiled again.

You could at this point add milk, but I can't be bothered. Drank thick and black.

-Elwood Blues

Made a quick quiche this evening.  Wilted some spinach, and used the hot pan to re-heat some sauteed mushrooms (with garlic) that I cooked earlier in the week.  (I only needed enough to top 2 burgers, but cooked all the shrooms I had because they were getting a bit past their prime.)  Those veggies, plus eggs, cream, salt, pepper, thyme, and cheddar cheese went in the quiche. 

I did use a pre-made frozen pie crust.  I am ashamed.

Ate it with a good splash of hot sauce.  The wife preferred it unadorned.

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 2

Made a quick quiche this evening.  Wilted some spinach, and used the hot pan to re-heat some sauteed mushrooms (with garlic) that I cooked earlier in the week.  (I only needed enough to top 2 burgers, but cooked all the shrooms I had because they were getting a bit past their prime.)  Those veggies, plus eggs, cream, salt, pepper, thyme, and cheddar cheese went in the quiche. 

I have to honest I have never really got into baking, its something I intend to rectify. But I always use pre-made pastry

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I have to honest I have never really got into baking, its something I intend to rectify. But I always use pre-made pastry

Pie crust is not difficult, but it does make a mess and works out best if you let the dough chill overnight before rolling it out.  If I know I'm going to be making a bunch of pies, I'll generally do several batches at once and freeze them myself. 

I view the stuff you can buy in the supermarket as adequate for a weeknight egg-pie supper, but I wouldn't feel comfortable passing off a pie as homemade if I hadn't made the pie crust myself. 

• Like 2

Can't do crust. I've been toying with the idea of a sort of meat cobbler.

-Elwood Blues

Last nights dinner was a XXL steak burrito from Taco Bell.

I know its junk food but it looks delicious :yes:

John Milton 

Taco Bell is actually one of the healthier fast food joints you can go to.  I'm betting that burrito is probably no worse that anything you get from any other burrito place.  They don't use lard either, which gives them an edge.

Although I doubt it tastes as good :p

Healthier compared to what?  :biggrin:  I know you guys have taco shops up there, too, so it can't be those. I suppose 70% soy and 30% actual meat at Taco Bell is healthier than 100% red meat beef burritos anywhere. I recently heard Mexico is more obese now than the US. Not that burritos cause obesity, or even came from Mexico ...    

All Stop. On Screen.

Taco Bell is actually one of the healthier fast food joints you can go to.  I'm betting that burrito is probably no worse that anything you get from any other burrito place.  They don't use lard either, which gives them an edge.

Would you be happy with Taco Bell as a menu item at your school? Or rather lets say it was the standard meal on Friday for the kids

John Milton 

Toasted some stale bread.

God loves low standards. :)

• Like 3

-Elwood Blues

Would you be happy with Taco Bell as a menu item at your school? Or rather lets say it was the standard meal on Friday for the kids

It really depends on what they are offering.  Taco Bell still has some absolute disasters on their menu.  They'd probably fail because of the sodium.  The Fresco menu would probably work in schools.

The best thing we serve at my school is a bowl from a small taco chain with beans, rice, and chicken.  

• Like 1

The best thing we serve at my school is a bowl from a small taco chain with beans, rice, and chicken.  

I always find the Mexican food to be one of the best parts of visiting California (which I do somewhat regularly to see my wife's family). 

• Like 1

I always find the Mexican food to be one of the best parts of visiting California (which I do somewhat regularly to see my wife's family). 

A couple times a month I go to a hole in the wall mexican restaurant for breakfast that serves the best posole with handmade flour tortillas and fresh squeezed OJ.  The make perfect breakfast burritos as well, no extra junk, just potatoes, eggs, and chorizo.

It's pretty much the only type of food I can't easily replicate in my own kitchen. 

I love Mexican food but most of the stuff we have here in Colorado is more than a little bit different from what we have in southern Arizona. Whenever I go "home" it's always Mexican food every night.

I don't have a problem making most of of my favorite Mexican dishes but most Asian foods I find extremely difficult to get the taste and texture right. I usually limit myself to a few curries, simple stir fries, and soups and try to steer clear of more authentic or complicated fare

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21