Dragon Age: Inquisition

Volo, did you watch the Game Informer video on races?

I'm pretty sure Laidlaw was calling you out.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Something along the lines of "Our Dwarf fans are very passionate."

I liked the drab DAO aesthetic. I thought it fit the mood and the atmosphere as well as the music. I don't have the same feelings towards DA2 as it felt confined and not at all immersive. 

I'm glad they have an extra year to polish and add to DAI. 

• Like 1

Agree on the dao aesthetic, the art direction for da2 was a cluster****, even I can see that. :p

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

2tp6VFV.png

I was pretty feel good about this game, but then he has to make an insufferable post like this.

You know, I actually agree that establishing a canon is a good idea, and would take it further and completely axe save imports. But blaming things on people who don't like teh gheys is petty.

Agree on the dao aesthetic, the art direction for da2 was a cluster****, even I can see that. :p

I'm going to have to remove your "Bioware True Fan Title".

I also agree, drab sort of fit the mood, while DA2's art style made me want to destroy anime.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Why is it that Gaider has to turn everything into a crusade for gay rights?

On the subject: they have been doing this since BG, they establish a canon story which is the one that a carries over to the next game. My problem in particular with the DA canon is that it has become so bloated with webcomics, books, movies and even that darn webseries with Felicia Day that every iteration I have to learn of a bunch of stuff that happened. Plus they aren't very informative about it. Also, why the hell they can bend the canon to include every crappy thing done by somebody on the internet but they can't give you a simple back story to corroborate what you did.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

You know, I actually agree that establishing a canon is a good idea, and would take it further and completely axe save imports.

They could axe save imports if they stopped doing cameos entirely.

Is there really any reason why Isabella, Merril, and Anders all have to show up in Fereldan, Kirkwall, and Orlais at the precise time that things are going on in these nations? Unless these characters all turn out to be demi-gods that exist everywhen and everywhere, it's a little silly. The world can not possibly be so small that if they feel the need to have an abomination, Dalish Keeper, and sexy pirate, there's no one else.

I simply can't comprehend the argument that these characters have to be brought back to decrease complexity. It's like Vivec showing up in Cyrodiil.

I said it before and I fear saying it again. At this rate and unless they start killing everyone in Inquisition, Dragon Age 4's cast will consist of Magister Anders, Wynne and her female dwarf friend, a mabari, Velanna, and Oghren. You'll run into the Dalish elves you recruited from DAO who have taken Merril in.

The only new members will be Duncan's long lost twin brother and the son of Ser Jory.

• Like 5

I'm pretty sure David Gaider hates homosexuals, because anders and zevran were the most awful and obnoxious characters in their respective games.  If Gaider was on a gay rights crusade, wouldn't he make his most awesome and likeable characters the gay ones?

• Like 5

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Guest Slinky

Why is it that Gaider has to turn everything into a crusade for gay rights?

My guess is he has convinced himself that anyone who could criticise the perfect writing of the great and mighty David Gaider, must be a gay bashing neo-nazi KKK member.

You know, I actually agree that establishing a canon is a good idea, and would take it further and completely axe save imports.

They could axe save imports if they stopped doing cameos entirely.

Is there really any reason why Isabella, Merril, and Anders all have to show up in Fereldan, Kirkwall, and Orlais at the precise time that things are going on in these nations? Unless these characters all turn out to be demi-gods that exist everywhen and everywhere, it's a little silly. The world can not possibly be so small that if they feel the need to have an abomination, Dalish Keeper, and sexy pirate, there's no one else.

I simply can't comprehend the argument that these characters have to be brought back to decrease complexity. It's like Vivec showing up in Cyrodiil.

I think bringing them back increases complexity (because if they didn't bring them back what you did with them in DA2 would be irrelevant).

That said, if it fits the story and there's a good reason for it I have no problem with any character returning.

Also surprising that people didn't like Anders because he was bisexual and not because he was a murdering ****.

• Like 4

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

That said, if it fits the story and there's a good reason for it I have no problem with any character returning.

My problem is two points:

1) Nothing can be done with an old character that can not be done with a new.

2) It risks the player agency they say they are going to respect.

Case in point; Leliana. Tatiana, the trained assassin and right hand of the Divine, could have done everything in Dragon Age 2 that she did. And nobody would have had cause to complain of her head growing back.

• Like 1

The first third of Gaidar's comment is spot on. The second part is... needlessly inflammatory and contradictory. The worst objective thing about Twitcher2 was the "I romanced Shani in TW... Oh no you didn't!" situation which stuck a large silver sword in verisimilitude. If you aren't going to make the choices you offer count and be taken into account, then just don't offer them. There's no absolute requirement for all those characters to turn up, it shouldn't be like the BG/2 transition where no matter how many times I chopped that cretinous ranger into minscmeat in BG1 he always turned up in Irenicus's dungeon, things really have moved on from that. And if I happen to miss out on some content due to offing the wrong person (or, for that matter, leaving the wrong person alive) then diddums; choices and consequences, I'll just have to deal with it :mellow:  -> 8) (with thanks to Gorth) style. I guess at least it won't have been the current PC who'd done the killing, but that's small mercies.

I'd make an exception for someone who is genuinely plot critical- like potentially Leliana- and who therefore has a very good reason and explanation for their survival, but if it's just to have fan service and say hi to the Warden's/ Hawke's buddies then just leave it out (or include alternatives) if they're dead.

• Like 2

I feel they had simply acknowledge your actions in previous games even though they completely retcon them, that may have been more polite than disregarding them because you want to write a linear story that pretends to give choices. They could had brought back Leliana with a big scar on her neck which when you ask her about tells you what happened, if anything it should had been little funny.

Also, what Tale said.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Case in point; Leliana. Tatiana, the trained assassin and right hand of the Divine, could have done everything in Dragon Age 2 that she did. And nobody would have had cause to complain of her head growing back.

I actually dislike the persistent calling out of the deathblow mechanic, specifically, and it frankly serves as a good reason to ensure that we don't do stuff like that in the future.

I think it's a bit of a simplistic assessment.

If you want to be upset because Leliana was brought back when the player attacked her, that's fine.. You can think it's hokey or whatever. And you're right, it could have easily been done with a different character. If your principle evidence for why it is lame, however, is an unrelated game system that can be entirely overlooked during the chaos that is game development and the proper checks and balances to ensure said attack animation cannot occur on Leliana in DAO, or that that we failed to recall that deathblow animations could have been applied to Leliana during the conceptualization of bringing Leliana back, then I think you're being unreasonable and potentially just bitter/vindictive (i.e. you're pissy about other stuff, so it's just something else to scrutinize because it grants some schadenfreude that, had people here been giant fans of the game probably wouldn't care so much about since people are human after all).

It is what it is: which is a mistake. And once DA2 is shipped, that boat has sailed and there's sweet **** all that can be done about it. It's hard to overlook "The player may have killed Leliana" and then we can respond "We know. We can still work with that, however" (because reasons - and no, I don't know them). It's a lot easier to overlook "the player may have killed Leliana with a special combat animation that was added in purely for flavour and functionally was not tracked in the gamestate in anyway." It's not like there was a plot flag "Leliana decapitated" beside her "Leliana killed" flag. Even so, we actually know the frequency of occurrence of the deathblow.

But suddenly everyone that ever fought Leliana there suddenly was pulling off the decapitation deathblow it seems. What are the odds....

Edited by alanschu

Also surprising that people didn't like Anders because he was bisexual and not because he was a murdering ****.

Meh, had nothing to do with sexuality. I hated him because he was a whiny, self-righteous, conceited jerk too full of self-pity to see beyond the tip of his nose. Took great pleasure in putting him out of his misery (same thing goes for that other whiny character, what's his name, Fenris?).

I know this isn't a wishlist thread, but I wouldn't mind seeing that Qunari (elf actually) assassin from Mark of the Assassin again. She was good fun (and I enjoyed the expansion).

Otherwise, give me Varric any day (I wouldn't mind if Isabella and Zevran tagged along either). The rest of the cast can go raise sheep in Ferelden ;)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2tp6VFV.png

I was pretty feel good about this game, but then he has to make an insufferable post like this.

Can you provide a link to where he made this post?

Not to be rude, but it looks like a fake.

Specifically:

1) It lacks the 'Report Post,' 'Quote,' 'Link' buttons in the upper right. Those appear even if a thread has been locked. There's no 'joined by' date under the avatar.

2) I've spent a large chunk of time on the BSN but have never heard that Anders, Merrill, and Isabela are returning, even though I know people from all three fandoms who would be all over this information.

3) This directly contradicts what David has said previously.

4) I can't find this post via google. The thread title doesn't appear in the image.

5) It doesn't actually sound like David.

Edited by Maria Caliban
  • Like 1

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I actually dislike the persistent calling out of the deathblow mechanic, specifically,

I don't really mind Leliana's presence personally, but it is a very well known example, making the communication of the issue clear.

I think it's a bit of a simplistic assessment.

It's a simple example that gets the message across. I could go into a variety of issues it pops up, such as small world, lack of agency, retconing of epilogues, and recharacterization. But that makes for a far more long winded post than I felt like going into at the time. And I've probably rambled at length about each of those enough. Honestly, I think people may be sick of me doing it.

I get that what part of you're saying is that it's about the dialogue. How the people talk to the developers affects how the developers interpret the data. That's absolutely fair. I've had my speeches on the problems of NSR. And if that's all you're talking about, that's cool. You and I agree absolutely on that point. I'm not sure that pointing to deathblows is noise, but I'm willing to consider it.

But it's not just Leliana's head that is a problem of that practice. For me it's more about wanting to see new people in new places. There's a whole bunch of issues I feel I can draw on in support of that argument.

Can you provide a link to where he made this post?

Not to be rude, but it looks like a fake.

Specifically:

1) It lacks the 'Report Post,' 'Quote,' 'Link' buttons in the upper right. Those appear even if a thread has been locked. There's no 'joined by' date under the avatar.

2) I've spent a large chunk of time on the BSN but have never heard that Anders, Merrill, and Isabela are returning, even though I know people from all three fandoms who would be all over this information.

3) This directly contradicts what David has said previously.

4) I can't find this post via google. The thread title doesn't appear in the image.

5) It doesn't actually sound like David.

I tried finding it myself. Perhaps I jumped too quickly onto taking it for true. I hope it's not.

Specifically:

Those features only appear if you are logged in to the BSN.  If you view the forums without logging in they don't appear. 

The lack of a thread title might because the "alleged" Gaider post appeared too far down in the thread.  It's absence does not disprove the authenticity.

I couldn't find it on google either.

Here's the link to where it appears:

http://www.reddit.com/r/dragonage/comments/1kfz0j/devs_confirmyour_choices_dont_matter_and_in_some/

Edited by kgambit