Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How do you prefer writers to handle action descriptions / narrative in dialogue mode?

dialogue dialog action narrative

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Dialogue Action Descriptions (58 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you prefer writers to handle actions or other narrative in dialogues?

1. I prefer actions in parantheses (pushes the button and votes in poll) (15 votes [25.86%])

Percentage of vote: 25.86%

2. I prefer actions in asterisks *pushes the button and votes in poll* (5 votes [8.62%])

Percentage of vote: 8.62%

3. "I prefer traditional novel-style" pushes the button and votes in poll (28 votes [48.28%])

Percentage of vote: 48.28%

4. I prefer different colours of text for this purpose (5 votes [8.62%])

Percentage of vote: 8.62%

5. Other, please specify in post (2 votes [3.45%])

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

6. I didn't read the first post before voting (3 votes [5.17%])

Percentage of vote: 5.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Silent Winter

Silent Winter

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1594 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Just musing over a point that I've noticed while playing PST recently.

I've played a lot of IE games and installed various mods as well.  Different writers use a different style to accomodate describing actions / other narrative as part of the dialogue.

Some use (parentheses), some use *asterisks*, some use traditional "speech in quotes".

Just wondering how you prefer it to be handled.

Examples:

You'll have to pay for that! (her eyes dart between your party members, trying to keep you all in sight)

1. Ok, we'll pay

2. (Attack her)

3. (Run away)

You'll have to pay for that! *her eyes dart between your party members, trying to keep you all in sight*

1. Ok, we'll pay

2. *Attack her*

3. *Run away*

"You'll have to pay for that!" her eyes dart between your party members, trying to keep you all in sight.

1. "Ok, we'll pay"

2. Attack her

3. Run away

You'll have to pay for that! her eyes dart between your party members, trying to keep you all in sight

1. Ok, we'll pay

2. Attack her

3. Run away

Or is there a better way?

Malekith

Malekith

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 865 posts

The last is an abomination. Kill it NOW!

The rest i have no problem with, even if my personal preference is the novel approach or maybe the * *

• GrinningReaper659 likes this

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3116 posts
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The quotes make the most sense.  There is no reason to highly "run away / attack her" in any way in game though.  It is fairly obvious those aren't dialog options and what they are going to result in.

Pshaw

Pshaw

Farceur of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Steam:Pshaw
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I prefer the novel style in the body text. For the choices themselves I think *'s or ()'s work better to delinate between an action and converstation pieces. Italics also work.

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3845 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I don't mind either style as long as there is a logic to the presentation of the choices, meaning that I get what I choose not a different line of dialog (e.g: ME, DA2) 

Remmirath

Remmirath

Obsidian Order's Knight of Chaos

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Steam:Remmirath
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I definitely prefer the traditional novel style, but the only example there that would actually bother me is the different colors. 

• IndiraLightfoot and Malekith like this

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 11004 posts
  • Steam:Tale
  • PSN Portable ID:Taleroth
  • Kickstarter Backer
Personal preference is irrelevant to me. As long as they are consistent and play to their strengths.

Though I have a particular aversion to asterisks.

Tsuga C

Tsuga C

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Novel style, please.

mcmanusaur

mcmanusaur

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 602 posts

Quotes for character speech, and parentheses for character actions, methinks, with meta-game text (like interface tooltips or description of mechanics) using neither.

Edited by mcmanusaur, 10 August 2013 - 01:13 PM.

• KaineParker, GrinningReaper659 and Blessedborn like this

kjrubberducky

kjrubberducky

Bath Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I like the novel style the best, but the descriptive/action text should have something unique, too, like maybe italics or something.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9164 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I like asterisks. :p

...but in a game environment, I don't really care much, as long as the grammar use or an overuse of tortured slang/cliched sayings/colloquialisms don't make my eyes bleed.

Silent Winter

Silent Winter

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1594 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The last is an abomination. Kill it NOW!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that (but I had to include it in the poll anyway)

I'm torn between liking novel-style and liking parantheses (perhaps because many BG-mods used parentheses).

I guess I don't really mind as long as it's consistent.

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

im fine with anything... but you forgot these [ ]

mcmanusaur

mcmanusaur

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 602 posts

The issue with pure narrative style for me is that it doesn't feel like a character's actions should be narrated in first person or third person, unless that narration is present through the whole game.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9164 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

The issue with pure narrative style for me is that it doesn't feel like a character's actions should be narrated in first person or third person, unless that narration is present through the whole game.

I kinda feel that way sometimes. That weird in-between world of novel and film, fitting neither. Or something.

I'd probably prefer a method more like:

The woman approaches, glancing aggressively around at you and your party as she speaks:

"You'll have to pay for that!"

1. Ok, we'll pay

2. (Attack her)

3. (Run away)

....mostly because it feels like a more natural reading rhythm than a dialogue-line followed by separated [ action ] text. (edit) I refer to the set up line - the 1,2,3 choices don't matter to me since I consider them the given player options.

• Lord of Lost Socks likes this

Malekith

Malekith

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 865 posts

Worked for me in Torment.

mcmanusaur

mcmanusaur

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 602 posts

I kinda feel that way sometimes. That weird in-between world of novel and film, fitting neither. Or something.

I'd probably prefer a method more like:

The woman approaches, glancing aggressively around at you and your party as she speaks:

"You'll have to pay for that!"

1. Ok, we'll pay

2. (Attack her)

3. (Run away)

....mostly because it feels like a more natural reading rhythm than a dialogue-line followed by separated [ action ] text. (edit) I refer to the set up line - the 1,2,3 choices don't matter to me since I consider them the given player options.

Worked for me in Torment.

Yeah, I was actually specifically referring to the dialogue options, rather than the narration of other characters' speech and action, which I do believe can be handled with third person in the manner that LadyCrimson suggests. I guess that actually shares some similarities with scripts:

Conventional prose method

The man casually waves to his acquaintance. "Yo dawg."

Script method

[The man casually waves to his acquaintance.]

Man: "Yo dawg."

1. [wave back] "Holla!"

2. [nod once] "Sup!"

Re: brackets to parentheses I'm not decided, but I think presenting dialogue in script format is acceptable.

Edited by mcmanusaur, 11 August 2013 - 08:02 AM.

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3021 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Quotes for character speech, and parentheses for character actions, methinks, with meta-game text (like interface tooltips or description of mechanics) using neither.

This.

smithereen

smithereen

Chief Consulting Oracle of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Smithereen peruses the thread. "Interesting," he states, "I never really have given much thought to this subject. I find prose-style to be the most natural, but that's probably just what I am used to, since I encourage speaking that way in my tabletop roleplaying group."

1. [Nod]

2. (Diplomacy) "Let me rid you of a few misconceptions..."

3. [Ignite Flamethrower] "You'll pay for that!"

Edited by smithereen, 11 August 2013 - 03:08 PM.

• Lephys likes this

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

The quotes make the most sense.  There is no reason to highly "run away / attack her" in any way in game though.  It is fairly obvious those aren't dialog options and what they are going to result in.

So... what happens when you're discussing some female person with a female person, and she asks "What do you think we should do about this?", and one of your options is "Attack her."?

Are you telling her that you think this being-discussed female person should be attacked, or are you telling the game that you wish for your character to attack the female with whom you're currently speaking?

Riddle me that, Batman.

Also, for what it's worth, I feel that the literal "do this" listings of actions aren't out of place in a list of dialogue options, since the options from which you're choosing are actually just actions that happen to all be dialogue. In other words, the dialogue UI is basically telling you "Here's what was just said. How do you react?", and each line of text with quotes around it is the same thing as "Say:" followed by the line your character will be saying.

That doesn't mean there aren't alternative methods that are also viable, but I don't have any problem with the way that kind of... syntax, for lack of a better word.

Edited by Lephys, 12 August 2013 - 02:54 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dialogue, dialog, action, narrative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users