Shady's Eurotrip

ShadySands

Rather than spam the picture thread I thought I would just dump some of my favorite pictures from each city here

First up is Narva

9460751062_d7a5385ec4_h.jpg

On the left is Ivangorod Fortress in Russia and on the right is Hermann Castle in Estonia and the bridge is the border crossing over the Narva river

9457960717_b340be5eae_h.jpg

Another shot of Ivangorod Fortress in Ivangorod (lucky coincidence)

9457961213_625a2f54ed_h.jpg

Hermann Castle in Narva again

I'll post some more photos from the courtyard and tower as soon as they all copy over to my computer

• Like 4

Free games updated 3/4/21

Just Estonia and Russia which I'm pretty sad about. I wanted to and had originally planned go to Amsterdam (for more than a layover) and Helsinki but those plans got dropped due to time

EDIT: Almost forgot, more pics!

9458173795_c5da9f66e5_h.jpg

9460943880_d1a5ee9262_h.jpg

9460941214_d4b6f8fd9c_h.jpg9458149959_58eecc610d_h.jpg9458137689_05b1e66dae_h.jpg9460914746_18ddab763a_h.jpg9460899756_5bcc186fe4_h.jpg

and for LoF and/or oby

9458117913_7157a4380c_h.jpg

They moved this statue of Lenin to the castle courtyard from the town square outside so nobody would vandalize it or something after the Soviet Union fell

Edited by ShadySands

I don't remember what this park was called but it's just on the other side of the castle

9458096529_f6f76566ca_h.jpg9458104221_69e14cf24c_h.jpg9461055500_5801b187a7_h.jpg

There were a couple of other really cool things in Narva that I didn't get a picture of because by that time both my camera and phone had died

I see you definitely like castles, I like castles too.  I hope the trip went well.  Those are some nice looking areas.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

They moved this statue of Lenin to the castle courtyard from the town square outside so nobody would vandalize it or something after the Soviet Union fell

The eyes look different - made out of something other than what the rest of the statue is?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The eyes look different - made out of something other than what the rest of the statue is?

No idea about the eyes but I was wondering about it myself but couldn't find much info on the statue other than the name of the person who made it and that it was a really big deal when it was finally moved.

It's supposedly the last fully intact Lenin statue in the Baltic states but I couldn't find any sources to that claim

Edited by ShadySands

and for LoF and/or oby

Reminds me of this scene from "Goodbye Lenin!"

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

If I was rich, I'd buy several acres of land and build my own small version of a castle. I'd want to live in it, so it wouldn't have to be full-scale/huge (not like I'd want to housekeep a real size castle). But it would have a couple of tower/tower rooms, stone walls I could walk on the top of, large inner "courtyard," a cat-stables, and preferably a moat and drawbridge to keep out the peasants.

...great pics, btw. :biggrin:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yeah, there are a few companies that do them, modern castles that it.

Castle Magic is the only one I can think of off the top of my head though

Also, sorry I haven't gotten the rest of the pictures up yet. Been sick and haven't felt up to it because it's hard work sorting, uploading, and linking photos :p

Edited by ShadySands

Very cool! Looks like it was a great trip. You guys were just exploring at your own pace?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Thanks

If we would have had more time or gone to more places then we probably would have just wandered a bit but as it was we were either with my wife's friends or family the whole time we mostly just got led around. It was still fun though just a bit more structured than I usually like my vacations and I didn't wan to complain about being smothered since my wife hadn't been "home" in about 10 years and everyone really missed her

I'd have the say that the hardest part of the trip was not being able to read the signs and mostly in Russia since the alphabet is different 

That's still a heck of a lot better than a tour group though. You should have them out to Colorado next time. There's no castles but you can always take them drone hunting!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Castle Magic is the only one I can think of off the top of my head though

*bookmarks site in case she ever wins the Lottery*

...just imagine playing your favorite dungeon crawler game whilst sitting inside your own stone dungeon or tower. That would be awesome. :biggrin: 

Look forward to seeing the rest of the pics, when you're feeling better.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts