About hate-mail and other online abuse.

Just to add, there could very well be mitigating circumstances for the lack of dev contribution.

I remember some people wondering if I had been let go after an extended break from the BSN, but it just turns out I was stupendously busy.

• Like 2

^ True that. The way I see it, every dev post that goes unmade on these forums is time spent ferociously toiling over something directly related to the game. 8P

It's not exactly a negative that they've been a little radio silent lately, as it most likely represents an increase in their activity. Just not their forum activity. :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Someone on Twitter told Jonathan Blow that you can just ignore these messages.

“This is false,” he replied. “We can't choose to ignore it. As soon as the words are read, they have already hit emotionally.”

You simply can't not take it to heart. 

After dozens or hundreds of instances, it honestly doesn't have any effect.

• Like 8

“This is false,” he replied. “We can't choose to ignore it. As soon as the words are read, they have already hit emotionally.”

You're nobody until somebody hates you, and I'd like all the right people to hate me. It's probably a sign you were doing something right.

• Like 1

I agree it has a desensitizing effect.

Originally I took things a lot more personally, and I still have my triggers that make me move into immediate "dismissive" state towards a particular poster.

Could just be you're a better person than I am (and a lot more seasoned on the whole process).

So, the poison was in both glasses? You've just built up an immunity to it by taking trace amounts since you were a child (developer)? 8)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Haha. Challenge accepted!

(The many instances he's probably referring to likely involve the RPG Codex. lol)

Also thought of this blog from Josh when I read this thread: http://twofoldsilence.diogenes-lamp.info/2012/07/art-and-appreciation_19.html

Edited by Ignatius

The case of Phil Fish reflected in the article, though.... is a special one.

Because he invented it 100% for himself. He constantly acts arrogant, insults people (openly at a indie panel he (and others) went down on another dev) and acts all scared when someone actually goes after him. He can dish it out, but can't take it.

As such I don't actually have much sympathy with the guy. Grow up.

That is victim blaming. Phil Fish acting outside of social mores doesn't give people the right to send abuse his way. Nor do we know if it's cause or consequence. I've seen it happen before recently that someone blew up after suffering abuse for hours on end, and then got seen as the ****. It's important to know the context.

they aren't on the forums as much because they're working on the vertical slice. it's ok to be critical of their decisions because that is what they wanted. some people are obnoxious but there are still enough good people out there that realize that obsidian is awesome at what they do for people like Sawyer and co to realize we appreciate their efforts.

these guys are professionals. the amount of bile they have to deal with when dealing with scum that are publishers is NOTHING compared to a few dummy comments from puerile children about a specific game mechanic. someone saying "wahh I hate crafting skill" isn't going to take food away from the mouths of the dev's family; bonuses based on obnoxious metacritic scores does.

You don't get to see all the feedback, so it's not possible to get an accurate image for us, but I hope you're right.

And yes, of course we should be able to field criticism.

I suspected as much. it's a rare case for a person to have enough hate against him from a group and for him to have done no wrong.

I'm reminded of a quote by Patrick Stewart, fairly recently, about victim blaming:

"As a child, I heard in my home doctors and ambulance men say, 'Mrs Stewart, you must have done something to provoke him', 'Mrs Stewart, it takes two to make an argument'," he said.

"Wrong, wrong.

"My mother did nothing to provoke that and even if she had, violence is never, ever a choice that a man should make."

I think it can be applied broader. Just because Phil Fish isn't very good at dealing with the pressure, doesn't give people the right to send hate filled messages his way under the pretence of "he had it coming"

it's strinkingly odd to me that in our contemporary society, even the perpetrator can be considered a victim. is there no room for criticism left anymore?

"Blaming the victim", a concept so deeply ingrained in rape victim advocacy, is absolutely nothing like what Phil Fish is goign through. Please do not devalue such a concept by equating Phil Fish's "dilemma" with it.

Kthx bye. 

Edited by Hormalakh
  • Like 3

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

I've seen some egregious stupidity on these forums but nothing really really legally actionably bad.

And I'm a proud pre-2004 BIS member (i.e. 1999 or thereabouts).

I've seen some egregious stupidity on these forums but nothing really really legally actionably bad.

And I'm a proud pre-2004 BIS member (i.e. 1999 or thereabouts).

Well its good to you see acknowledging your stupidity, the first step to dealing with any problem is accepting it :p

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I am definitely an annoying SOB when I disagree with a design decision or a mechanic because I am really invested in this game. I do not think I come off as malicious though.

Yes you are very pleasant and reasonable, you are only malicious and vituperative if you don't support me in the implementation of Romance in PE :biggrin:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Just to add, there could very well be mitigating circumstances for the lack of dev contribution.

I remember some people wondering if I had been let go after an extended break from the BSN, but it just turns out I was stupendously busy.

So you mean they might actually be working rather than posting ? :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

it's strinkingly odd to me that in our contemporary society, even the victim can be considered a perpetrator.

ftfy
  • Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I'm not really seeing how a "Live by the sword, die by the sword" point is really victim blaming.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Fish completely brought this upon himself because no one knew about him (and thus no one cared to antagonize him) before he started acting like a giant douche in the movie, at cons, on twitter, etc. He did it to get publicity to generate hype for his game and it worked, but when it came time to reap what he'd sown he started to cry about being a victim and how everyone was mean to him.

The way I see it if he wants to sling **** for publicity then whatever, but if he's going to go down that road then he needs to not be such a little bitch when people sling it back at him.

Fish completely brought this upon himself because no one knew about him (and thus no one cared to antagonize him) before he started acting like a giant douche in the movie, at cons, on twitter, etc. He did it to get publicity to generate hype for his game and it worked, but when it came time to reap what he'd sown he started to cry about being a victim and how everyone was mean to him.

The way I see it if he wants to sling **** for publicity then whatever, but if he's going to go down that road then he needs to not be such a little bitch when people sling it back at him.

I think it's something different, I think this is a person who is used to speak his mind, someone who has trouble not too. I don;t think he's media trained, and has trouble communicating effectively. I think the outburst is telling and symptomatic. I know because I used to respond very similarly under pressure. And in my case it wasn't ill will, but a lack of inhibitions. I couldn't not say my mind, and not everyone took that with grace.

You see rudeness, I see honesty. Tactless, maybe, but not malicious.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I think it's something different, I think this is a person who is used to speak his mind, someone who has trouble not too. I don;t think he's media trained, and has trouble communicating effectively. I think the outburst is telling and symptomatic. I know because I used to respond very similarly under pressure. And in my case it wasn't ill will, but a lack of inhibitions. I couldn't not say my mind, and not everyone took that with grace.

You see rudeness, I see honesty. Tactless, maybe, but not malicious.

"Suck my ****. Choke on it."

That's some real honesty.