What you did today

Pidesco

For some reason, I'm just tired and disinterested. I'm trying to cut back my work hours because of upcoming school but unless I'm constantly talking to the scheduling boss, I wind up with at least SOMETHING every night, so I can't have any time to just kick back and drink something.

Recommmend as above, but advise your boss that there is a tarsier on her shoulder. This should get you a night off at least.

I'm thinking at some point soon I'm gonna sit down with the big boss and at least ask that I get one extra night off (I don't care if I work a morning shift, I just want at least one night where I can go out and have some fun).

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

That's your solution for everything, isn't it?

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a good idea during oral.

But I take it this is why you told me you were rethinking the Israel-Palestine Conflict solution?

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Not a bad night, but still would have preferred to do my laundry over listening to tales of woe regarding someone's love life.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Not a bad night, but still would have preferred to do my laundry over listening to tales of woe regarding someone's love life.

Yeah, know what you mean.

Even though I have gone through the phase where I was telling tales of woe. Until it turned out I got more tired of telling them than people got of listening :) Now boh telling and listening bores me.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

And here I am, pulling a Graveyard shift. Man airports are abandoned at this hour.

Still hate the fact that I'm always (ALWAYS) missing somebody it seems.

Look at it this way Calax, this job is still a HUGE upgrade over where you were just a month or two ago!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Look at it this way Calax, this job is still a HUGE upgrade over where you were just a month or two ago!

Two technically.still have to figure out what to ask for/say is available next week because classes begin for us (well, not next week, but the 26th, the next week they're scheduling). I'm trying not to be to "you can't schedule me here here and dere!" but at the same time if I'm open to much I'm left in a pickle of having every single day be a work day.

I like the # of hours I get, just not how they spread out... ya dig? >.>

Right now I've got 30 minutes before I climb back into my van, do my "preflight checks" and take off. And an angry part of my mind is swearing that the note on the schedule on one of my runs asking the manager to talk to the owner is because I messed up... but the more rational part says that it's nothing.

Two technically.still have to figure out what to ask for/say is available next week because classes begin for us (well, not next week, but the 26th, the next week they're scheduling). I'm trying not to be to "you can't schedule me here here and dere!" but at the same time if I'm open to much I'm left in a pickle of having every single day be a work day.

I like the # of hours I get, just not how they spread out... ya dig? >.>

Right now I've got 30 minutes before I climb back into my van, do my "preflight checks" and take off. And an angry part of my mind is swearing that the note on the schedule on one of my runs asking the manager to talk to the owner is because I messed up... but the more rational part says that it's nothing.

I think you should start to refer to yourself as "Chris Alvis Walcot", and the van as Air Mogadishu.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Getting my pc ready to crate up and take along to Novatech for that health check up and assessment. See what comes up with that.

Hm, it's also turning grey and raining off and on. This kind of suits my mood.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Browsed Steam, GoG, new-game reviews/lists, etc. and have come to a couple of conclusions:

1 - I have little desire to replay old favorite games a 5th (or 10th, or 100th) time
2 - new single-player games are largely yawn-inducing in terms of the style or type of gameplay, far as I'm concerned.

So ... read any good rousing, actiony sci-fi books or chr.-driven horror lately? It's been a long time since I've kept up on book releases. Who are the happenin' new authors from the past 5-8 years, say?

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ubran Fantasy is currently sweeping along (mostly on adventure/conspiracy/murder mystery, with the odd horror styling) - Jim Butcher is still going strong, Kim Harrison, Carrie Vaughn, Ilona Andrews, Jennifer Estep - They're all managing to do some quite nice stories and charactesr without  making it all relationship angst like some others.

Sabrina Chase did a nice trilogy "Sequoyah" - out of time pilot, caught between an Alien-Human war, being hunted by elements on her own side because of information she has locked away in her head from the past..

Oh, the Kris Longknife series by Mike Shephard is generally entertaining, a nice mix of space opera / miltiary sci-fi with some low-level humour brought along by character dialogue. The "poor rich kid daughter" who in an attempt to get away from her politician father, business magnate grandfather, and "hero of the human race" great grandfather runs away to join the navy and has to both live down (and up) to the family name.

Jean Johnson's started work on a sci-fi series , which is quirky because until now she's been a romance author I believe. But the sci-fi works on a certain level, a character with massive precognitive abilities joins the military in an effort to start laying the domino's that need to flow so that x hundred years in the future the right person will be born with the right elements in place to enable them to save the galaxy...

Baen Publishing does seem to have a lock on a lot of Sci-fi/fantasy authors. Especially things that wander into military sci-fi areas. John Ringo, David Weber and the like.

Oh, they've also picked up Steve Miller and Sharon Lee, so the Liaden Universe is still going strong. Seriously, if you like space opera that has a lot of banter it's worth a lot (best description I heard was "Star Wars meets Pride & Prejudice").

L.E.Modesitt is still plugging out intelligent sci-fi and fantasy.

Steampunk in various forms is having a big swing out - both in variations of action / mystery / horror / urban fantasy styles. So a little bit for everyone.

With general actiony sci-fi, there are a hoorde of self-published authors you can look at via Amazon on kindle. Some are crappy, but there's a surprising amount of decent stuff (if you can get around some annoying editing or lack thereof) for a dollar or two.

Nathan Lowell's "Share" series was an interesting take on sci-fi, focusing on life on a trading ship across the stars. Very little direct "action" , no shoot-em-ups at all, but more character interplay, trying to make a profit and learning the ropes of the universe as they go.

Thomas DePrima's "A Galaxy Unknown" is a mixed bag, harkens back to the style of E.E.Doc Smith's style of grand space opera, generally entertaining with a few odd elements.

Did you ever read Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves? It's character driven horror and pants splittingly weird. I mean really, really weird. If you haven't already, you might want to give that a try. If anything, it'll keep you busy for a while because it's not like other books.

Yeah, know what you mean.

Even though I have gone through the phase where I was telling tales of woe. Until it turned out I got more tired of telling them than people got of listening :) Now boh telling and listening bores me.

I long gave up telling tales like that because I realized two things - no one cares and for the most part the lyrics of a song that goes 'Life is unfair. Kill yourself or get over it' apply. Though I still tell the epic tale of how I missed out on the free coffee and donut day that one fateful day in December 2011...

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

@Raithe - heh, that's a lot of authors for me to look up, thanks. :)

@TN - no, haven't read House of Leaves, but I do like weird ... sometimes. I haven't read much of anything, really, for years (outside of re-reading fave oldies and the occasional short-story collections).

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Eugh. Feeling queasy all day.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well, it's always fun when a professional opinion is given as "it's bollixed."

So I can get a new hd and pick up a new op/sys and that will fix some things but not everything, due to age and wear of the motherboard and such they can't guarantee how much will be a problem unless they do a complete overhaul and diagnostic. So the likelihood is, a whole new motherboard could be needed... >_<

I just chopped up half a cherry tree on me property using nothing but elbow grease. It was like a hundred years old, and it had split down the middle into a drainage ditch. Weirdly enough, it felt darn good, just as Thoreau ordered.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Remember to save the wood for bonfires. That's what I did when the old apple tree picked up a disease and started dying.

Then you can split the logs, build a fire, and sit around under a star studded sky with a bottle of <insert beverage> and a good cigar while listening to relaxing music..

• Like 2

I am highly unmotivated today. I need someone to break into my house and uninstall Skyrim from my laptop. I haven't had a decent nights sleep since I bought this thing!

The coyotes got into it with Tommy through the door last night again. Tonight I will be waiting. I've been tolerant of their BS but nobody threatens my best friend. Time to thin out the pack a little.

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Remember to save the wood for bonfires. That's what I did when the old apple tree picked up a disease and started dying.

Then you can split the logs, build a fire, and sit around under a star studded sky with a bottle of <insert beverage> and a good cigar while listening to relaxing music..

Love this idea! Hold the music though. Crickets, owls and night sounds are music enough for me!

Thomas Sowell

Looks like a loooong work day. Thinking about resuming my NWN2 OC playthrough or playing something else, any suggestions?

I am highly unmotivated today. I need someone to break into my house and uninstall Skyrim from my laptop. I haven't had a decent nights sleep since I bought this thing!

The coyotes got into it with Tommy through the door last night again. Tonight I will be waiting. I've been tolerant of their BS but nobody threatens my best friend. Time to thin out the pack a little.

I'll do it for $20.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Love this idea! Hold the music though. Crickets, owls and night sounds are music enough for me!

Well, I'm sort of on the outskirts of a city. So I tend to go with oh.. Gregorian or Two Steps From Hell music..

Raithe: Oh, it will succumb to fire, alright. The logs will provide some nice, cosy heating when Jack Frost begins to terrorize the environs. I'll be waiting for him with me flame thrower behind a bush at a choke point. 

Guard Dog: Keep on playing, once you reach level 35 or so, they game will offer no resistance at all, and then you'll prolly get tired of it. However, with a few wisely chosen mods you are good to go for another round of Skyrim.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Well, it's always fun when a professional opinion is given as "it's bollixed."

So I can get a new hd and pick up a new op/sys and that will fix some things but not everything, due to age and wear of the motherboard and such they can't guarantee how much will be a problem unless they do a complete overhaul and diagnostic. So the likelihood is, a whole new motherboard could be needed... >_<

Ouch.

-Elwood Blues

Looks like a loooong work day. Thinking about resuming my NWN2 OC playthrough or playing something else, any suggestions?

I'll do it for $20.

I'm assuming that does not cover travel expenses? :lol:

I've got it covered though. I'm grilling tonight and leaving the grill out and the trash cans open. Then I'm going to wait on the roof of the house with my Henry Acu-Bolt .22 mag and see what we see. There is one big one that is the cause of most of the trouble. I think he's the pack alpha, he's the one I'm after.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell