The general firearms thread!

Woldan

Look what I've found in my favorite gun shop today. Its a shotgun slug entirely made of hardened steel, with plastic driving bands to protect the barrel. It is designed to disable car engines, shoot through barriers, heavy brush with minimal deflection and very large animals where penetration is vital. Imagine a 32 grams heavy steel bolt traveling at 500 meters per second.  I have no real use for those but I had to buy them because they're really cool.

The projectiles are lathe turned, imagine that. But at 2 bucks / shot they better be. 

armprshotgun_zpsdb11d1bf.jpg

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Got me a new toy, CZ452 with match barrel. Shoots the 22lr, great target practice round and its quiet, with subsonic ammunition its is barely louder than clapping your hands really hard.  Stock is very beautiful walnut. 

cz22lr_zpsd74f2e20.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

Look what I've found in my favorite gun shop today. Its a shotgun slug entirely made of hardened steel, with plastic driving bands to protect the barrel. It is designed to disable car engines, shoot through barriers, heavy brush with minimal deflection and very large animals where penetration is vital. Imagine a 32 grams heavy steel bolt traveling at 500 meters per second.  I have no real use for those but I had to buy them because they're really cool.

The projectiles are lathe turned, imagine that. But at 2 bucks / shot they better be. 

armprshotgun_zpsdb11d1bf.jpg

...For shooting were-elephants.

• Like 3

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Got me a new toy, CZ452 with match barrel. Shoots the 22lr, great target practice round and its quiet, with subsonic ammunition its is barely louder than clapping your hands really hard.  Stock is very beautiful walnut. 

cz22lr_zpsd74f2e20.jpg

That's pretty. I'm quite sure behind it is the nose gear to a large aircraft. Just exactly how strong are you man. 

• Like 3

All Stop. On Screen.

Thanks. I actually bought the silver scope for a stainless steel rifle but I had to scrap that plan after I got the scope. Putting a silver scope on a blued rifle is strange but I'm happy how it turned out. I call it the silverback

I'm quite sure behind it is the nose gear to a large aircraft. Just exactly how strong are you man.

There is only one kind of strength: not strong enough.wink.png 

Thats 34.5kg / 76lbs dumbbell which I use for standing one armed shoulder presses, 8 repetitions 3-4 stints.

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 2

Shot with a 100+ year old rifle at 100 meters, with my own reloads, still need a smaller front sight though. And I refinished its stock, it was badly dented. 

G11zeil_zpsc4cdbd62.jpg

Edited by Woldan

Straight pull? I've heard of a Swiss one, K31 or something.

Did you shoot any of those slugs yet?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Yes, its a straight pull action, the predecessor of the K31, the Gewehr 1911. As its name says, it was designed from 1911 till 1918 I think. It has a massive straight pull action which is a joy to operate, I polished and tweaked it so now it can be operated with two fingers now, its that smooth. I also refurbished the entire stock and oiled it, it made an astonishing difference.

Its one of the most accurate ordnance rifles, for already 100 years it has been locked in a head-to-head duel with the Swedish Mausers.  original.gif

Did you shoot any of those slugs yet?

Sadly not, I cannot think of any good target medias. It would probably simply zing through anything I can get my hands on, with little effort. Edited by Woldan

Line up a few jugs of water maybe? Or is it possible to go to the scrapyard and get hold of an old engine and see if you can get any cracking done? =P

I've handled one straight pull rifle my entire life, a biathlon rifle, but I don't remember much of it since I was ten. But I do really like the feel of bolt action rifles, that manouver has some sence of finality to it when you pull down the bolt, so it'd be fun to feel the difference of the actions.

------

https://www.full30.com/video/82efb579fd3c93d177205966ef3d3c9d

Couple of guys try out explosive WW2 german and soviet ammunitions, and all I can say is damn. Daaymn.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Line up a few jugs of water maybe? Or is it possible to go to the scrapyard and get hold of an old engine and see if you can get any cracking done? =P

Everything is possible, but it would be a major pain in the butt to haul that engine over here.  ;)  I've been thinking about a small portable steel I-beam. If I shot water jugs I'd need like 15 or so. Maybe with a wetpack (compressed wet newspaper) behind the steel beam to simulate an armored target? 

https://www.full30.com/video/82efb579fd3c93d177205966ef3d3c9d

Couple of guys try out explosive WW2 german and soviet ammunitions, and all I can say is damn. Daaymn.

I've read the book about the German WWII Sniper Sepp Allersberger and he was astonished by the effect of explosive ammunition which he used in desperate situations. Now seeing the effects its even more nasty, this war truly sucked for both sides.  shocked.gif Interesting video, its amazing how much explosives you can pack into a little round. Just imagine an MG42 gun with a belt of those, absolute terror for the people downrange. 

The fun thing is originally it was intended for the machine guns for sighting it in purposes, you'd see the small explosions in the far distance and adjust windage and elevation accordingly. Thats actually the job of the tracers but those are hard to see at day. 

Edited by Woldan

• 2 weeks later...

Never thought I'd write anything to such a thread, but holy crap that youtube video about archery skill...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk

Btw, I'm aware of that:

FIREarms.
But as there is no "General Bow thread", this one seemed the most appropriate one to post that link.
Edited by samm
  • Like 5

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I like archery. I told Woldan a while back it was the purest form of marksmanship. I always wanted a custom made ash recurve bow. I have a Bear Kodiak recurve but it's fiberglass, meh. I also have a Bowtech Evolution which is my opinion is just a marvel of engineering.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• 3 weeks later...

I'm expecting a good tax refund and am considering buying a rifle. Preferably a 5.56 or 7.62, mostly for target practice.

Any suggestions?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It's all very nice, but they don't shoot war arrows, which are thick and have a lot of mass to drive home an armor penetrating arrowhead. But I'm sure he can totally Jhon Wu all the rabits and small game that can be brought down with that kind of low poundage trickshot.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I'm expecting a good tax refund and am considering buying a rifle. Preferably a 5.56 or 7.62, mostly for target practice.

Any suggestions?

Get yourself a Romanian PSL 7.62x54 Dragunov Clone with a 4x POSP and have more fun than you deserve. Don't forget to get mags for even more fun.

6334e60d1b7c7b7d6ccf0a8c926c16c2.jpg

Shot with a 100+ year old rifle at 100 meters, with my own reloads, still need a smaller front sight though. And I refinished its stock, it was badly dented. 

G11zeil_zpsc4cdbd62.jpg

Straight pullback Swiss army rifle. Forget what it's called. More than half a century of active service. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Any suggestions?

Get yourself a Romanian PSL 7.62x54 Dragunov Clone with a 4x POSP and have more fun than you deserve. Don't forget to get mags for even more fun.

6334e60d1b7c7b7d6ccf0a8c926c16c2.jpg

Looks good, but if I was going all out, would a Ruger be a good choice?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

One of the regular Ruger Bolt actions with bull barrel in .308? They're not well known for their accuracy,their bolt travel is really rough and the receivers and bolts are cast and not forged.  if I wanted an accurate bolt action rifle I'd look elsewhere.

I had several rifles from Savage and they all had unreal accuracy. They all shot groups the size of my index finger nail out of the box at 110yds and the trigger is sweet. 

If you want to go for accuracy consider the Savage FCP-K in .308 and replace that flimsy crap stock with an AI chassis. 

10fcpk308r-1000x800.jpg

Edited by Woldan

Honestly, I'm gravitating towards something like this:

obr762profile.jpg

Nothing wrong with that either, but don't burn all the money on the rifle and get a cheap scope, the weapon system needs to be balanced in order to work properly.  

Plan on spending at least 800-1000 on a good scope. 

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

I intend to not screw it up with cheap stuff, which is why I asked here. You and GD seem to know a lot about firearms.

So what do you want exactly, a semi auto or a bolt gun? Main target accuracy? Reliability and low maintenance? Or just fun shooting with decent accuracy? Budget limit?

What about the M1A in an EBR chassis?

Springfield-Armory-M1A-Profile.jpg

Or an FN SCAR?

STKL1782-A-MT1.jpg

Straight pullback Swiss army rifle. Forget what it's called. More than half a century of active service.

Swiss Gewehr 1911, 7.5x55 Swiss, mine was made between 1914-1918 if I remember correctly. The workmanship is unbelievable-

Edited by Woldan