Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The general firearms thread!

Guns Boomstick awesomeness

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
552 replies to this topic

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

As a self defense weapon for a civilian, I think there's a lot of talk and theory over nothing.

I read somewhere that US police statistics say that the overwhelming majority of scenarios where guns are used play out at 1-3 meters and 1-3 shots are fired total over the space of a few seconds. 

So basically any gun with do, shooter training is much much more important. Even luck is more important than the weapon itself.

My carry weapon is a Bond Arms .45/.410 derringer. It useless beyond 1-3 meters but deadly inside of that. I know it only has two shots but I'm not looking to get in a gunfight here. If one shot isn't enough ten probably wouldn't be either.

http://bondarms.com/ 

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4753 posts

Jeez. A useless saloon gun. I'm somewhat underwhelmed. Your manliness suffers a -1 penalty for the remainder of the turn.

Woldan

Woldan

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Shot a friends S&W 500 4'' once, after about 50 rounds or so a burr in the firing pin caused it to get stuck in the firing pin channel and primer binding the cylinder and rendering the gun inoperable. Taking it apart was a never ending horror story, thousands of pins and tiny springs and latches, it requires tons of tools....ewwwww. Field strip? Forget it!

I also shot a friends single action Uberti revolver, after a couple of rounds the cylinder pin was flying out of the gun, we never really figured out how that could happen, it happened again after a 50 or so rounds. I guess the recoil rattled it loose or something. 

What I'm trying to say is a single and double action revolver might be an extremely reliable weapon system, but when it jams or parts break the gun is inoperable and can only be fixed by a qualified experienced person with the required tools in a workshop. A service pistol having the same problem can be fixed in minutes by anyone. 

If I wanted a handgun I'd want a Glock, they're ugly but they seem to never jam. A friend of mine has 20.000 rounds through it with only one FTF, caused by an out-of-spec round. But then again I'm not a pistol/revolver guy anyway, I'm a rifleman,pistols and revolvers are backup weapons. :-

Edited by Woldan, 18 July 2013 - 07:36 AM.

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Kickstarter Backer

Jeez. A useless saloon gun. I'm somewhat underwhelmed. Your manliness suffers a -1 penalty for the remainder of the turn.

In fairness to GD, small guns can be a win. The worst gun in the world is one you left at home.

The second to worst gun is the one you took with and lost at some point.  :shifty:

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

:lol:  It's the perfect size for a carry weapon. I usually keep a .410 buckshot  in each barrel. I've found when using .45LC anything over 185 grain tumbles because only the end of the barrel is rifled. Shotgun shells are more effective at close range anyway. Like I said I'm to looking to get in any gunfights here. If I ever had to defend myself it would only be from close range. I'm not George Zimmerman, I'm staying in my truck!

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7838 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Little do we know, GD's truck has a M2 mounted on it.
  • ShadySands likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

I LOVE this story! Just for the comedy value. 50 bucks says Shady takes a drive and bags a drone!

http://news.yahoo.co...172357477.html 

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Kickstarter Backer

I LOVE this story! Just for the comedy value. 50 bucks says Shady takes a drive and bags a drone!

See, that's America being genius right there. In the UK we've pretty much rolled over and accepted defeat on private drones.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4723 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Talking about 50, well, .500 in this case:

anderson-wheeler-skyfall-edition-james-b

Anderson & Wheeler .500 NE double barrel. "Welcome to Scotland" etc.

• ShadySands likes this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3292 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

LOL

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3315 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Heh, I always remember hearing a discussion between a Navy guy and a Marine. It was more joking, but the Navy guy was all "I don't consider it a weapon if I can't use it to hit an enemy ship that's on the edge of the horizon and it's not lobbing shells x inches", while the Marine was all "if I can't carry it with me, it's not a weapon it's just an artillery piece that floats."

• Monte Carlo and sorophx like this

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I believe that the Royal Marines would observe that it's not a weapon if you can't ram into some poor bastard's groin.

ravenshrike

ravenshrike

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 169 posts
What I'm trying to say is a single and double action revolver might be an extremely reliable weapon system, but when it jams or parts break the gun is inoperable and can only be fixed by a qualified experienced person with the required tools in a workshop. A service pistol having the same problem can be fixed in minutes by anyone. 

If I wanted a handgun I'd want a Glock, they're ugly but they seem to never jam. A friend of mine has 20.000 rounds through it with only one FTF, caused by an out-of-spec round. But then again I'm not a pistol/revolver guy anyway, I'm a rifleman,pistols and revolvers are backup weapons. :-

A 1911 machined to original tolerances is just as if not more reliable than a glock. In fact, except for the extractor it will on average last quite a bit longer and the extractor is just a small piece of spring steel. Hell, that's true for most modern(as in post 1900) pistol designs.The problem is a bunch of manufacturers substitute MIM parts and try to tighten tolerances to get 100 yard accuracy instead of 50 yard. This causes internals to break and also causes the gun to bind and jam.

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2425 posts

Well generally speaking, gun tech is so old that most guns are extremely reliable. If a self defense weapon that doesn't get much use breaks down in a critical situation , meaning the three seconds of your life that you actually need it for, then that's just the universe's way of saying that you patron deity rolled a critical miss and its time to scoop your remains off the table.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor, 19 July 2013 - 08:47 AM.

Woldan

Woldan

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Went to the shooting range today to test my rifle handloads, sadly one caliber I reloaded was beyond max pressure, sticky bolt and primer cratering. I'm gonna try 3 grains less next time. 

One particular load was doing pretty well, funnily for said load I used my cheapest most inconsistent bulk-pack bullets just to get rid of 'em. 

5 shots, 100 meters, .308. The flyer on the left was my fault, breathing error while pulling the trigger.    :getlost:

.308 Remington brass trimmed to spec, CCI standard primer, Prvi 150 flatbase, 47 grains of Lovex S065, OAL 71,20mm, tightly crimped in crimp groove. 

prvipartizan150_zpsca403dfa.jpg

Edited by Woldan, 19 July 2013 - 10:54 AM.

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Thought you loons might like this:

http://www.vice.com/...ets-of-pakistan

WARNING: The anchorman is a tw**.

Woldan

Woldan

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Just got the results from my hand loads from the proof house, looking at the data the load looks very promising, only 6 meters / 16 feet per second extreme spread, thats a 0,7% spread of velocity between the rounds. Cant get any better than that.
Pressure is also mild, I can add another two grains to increase the velocity to approx 810 m/s / 2650 fps easily. And thats with a 240 grain .308 bullet, by far the heaviest most streamlined bullet available in this caliber, this might be a good 1500 meter load right here. 

beschussamt_300wm240_zps60eca3b7.jpg

beschussamt_300wm240_2_zpsd808500b.jpg

Edited by Woldan, 25 July 2013 - 02:41 AM.

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

You got a lab to rate your hand loads?

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4753 posts

Probably the gun club he belongs to. 

Woldan

Woldan

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

You got a lab to rate your hand loads?

Indeed! 

I send my loads to the national proof house in Vienna (the lab that tests commercial ammunition and test fires guns with overcharged ammunition to ensure they're sound and safe) and they test my loads for a small fee of 25 bucks. They measure the pressure in copper units, velocity, bullet energy, calculate extreme spread of that data etc.

I only send them my hottest loads or loads that stray far from the powder manufacturers max load suggestions to be sure I'm not shooting overpressure ammunition in my guns that have the potential to blow my face off. I DO have a very reliable computer program that calculates pressure and velocity of my loads but only the proof house data gives me certainty. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Guns, Boomstick, awesomeness

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users