Kids react to interracial Cheerios commercial controversy

alanschu

I guess I really do have the mentality of a kid.

I would like to apologize to all of those bigots I've offended over the years. You may have misspelled over half your words, but I get what you're saying now. Well, trying to say.

Edited by babaganoosh13

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Never knew there was one about it, might not even been though knowing media these days. As for the video, meh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What was the controversy.

Racists were upset at it featuring a mixed-race couple.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I enjoyed this

http://www.dailydot.com/lol/kids-react-cheerios-commercial-race/

I couldn't be arsed to worry about scientific fairness or anything in this regards, because I was too busy smiling.  Sue me.

Wow that was one of the most brilliant video's I've seen in ages and very heartening to see how kids condemn racism

Those kids were really cute, especially the little girl with the green shirt and the freckles. She made some of the most adorable comments like "racists are stinky bullies",  "stand proud by who you are " and " we won't hang around with racists because they mean and nasty "  :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

This stinks of one of those made of "controversies". There have been interracial couples on TV since The Jefferson's.

I don't really get your point? The reality is the advert did cause many people to make racist comments as they are opposed to interracial families. The kids response shows us many people in the USA have no issues to interracial families so the kids video is a relevant view in the fight against bigotry.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The point is that YouTube comments are a drop in the piss bucket when compared to the viewing audience as a whole and are virtually irrelevant. Also, discrimination is taught, not genetic, so the fact that they trot out a bunch of prepubescent children to look all confused is not a "fight against bigotry". Interracial relationships have been televised since before you were born, hence I feel the entire "controversy" is fabricated to get web clicks.

The point is that YouTube comments are a drop in the piss bucket when compared to the viewing audience as a whole and are virtually irrelevant. Also, discrimination is taught, not genetic, so the fact that they trot out a bunch of prepubescent children to look all confused is not a "fight against bigotry". Interracial relationships have been televised since before you were born, hence I feel the entire "controversy" is fabricated to get web clicks.

I think you have missed the point of the kids video. Firstly its irrelevant in the struggle for equality if interracial relationships have been televised for the last 50 years, we can never have enough discussions or condemnation from any source opposed to bigotry. Until bigotry doesn't exist anymore there will be always " a fight"

Now back to the video. For me the whole point is to show us just how silly and irrelevant racism should be. For exactly the reason you mentioned that racism is taught having kids give there honest opinion highlights how when people are not indoctrinated with a certain ideological view they see no issue with something like an interracial family. The kids aren't confused with the nature of the question, they are surprised that people have an issue with interracial families. And that's something that hopefully resonates with people who made the controversial and racist comments originally about the advert.

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

What was the controversy.

Racists were upset at it featuring a mixed-race couple.

I have decided on the strength of this that I am going to begin wearing mixed race slippers.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The real controversy should be inducing kids to eat Cheerios.

But they stand for social justice!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Are Cheerios really heart healthy with the amount of sugar I have to put in them to make them edible?

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I just found the video cute.

Cynics everywhere though!

I am not any more inclined to buy Cheerios.

What, you speak as if it's bad to be a cynic! :p

I guess the people who didn't like that Cheerio's commercial wouldn't like my husband and I.  :biggrin:

It's always been odd, as the adopted-by-mid-class-whites Asian kid, to feel/notice race assumptions from both sides of the fence. Not always racism per se, but the expectations, initial assumptions, and reactions about who I am and who I am not.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

While it is cute that kids are not prejudiced, we have to remember that they do not understand the concept of money, value of possessions, gender, political science or responsibility. 

What i mean is that you cannot tackle racism with just the "lets all think like the kids"-card and feel better about yourself. It requires more than that.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I didn't even know there was a controversy. If anything, the real controversy is that cheerios are still being sold, because they are disgustingly bland.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

While it is cute that kids are not prejudiced, we have to remember that they do not understand the concept of money, value of possessions, gender, political science or responsibility. 

What i mean is that you cannot tackle racism with just the "lets all think like the kids"-card and feel better about yourself. It requires more than that.

You raise a good point but almost  all those things you mention are class and social barriers and those I agree can create issues in a relationship. But if you take all those things away and say that you partner is a different race then there is no reason you can't have a relationship?

John Milton