This George Zimmerman thing

Calax

He's not 'afraid' because what possible harm can he come to?

I am afraid that if I amplify Calax's comments I will merely undermine their power with my irascibility. Look what he did regarding the photos. He's as bad as the sacks of manure who sold them to him.

Okay so he made a mistake 10 years ago but is that a reason to dismiss everything and anything he did after that?

YES.

EDIT: Piers Morgan

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Once again I feel obliged to apologise for Piers Morgan.

I was about to suggest we bury him a nuclear waste facility. But in deference to our era we could also strap him to a wind turbine, in a form of rotary crucifixion.

Reading his wiki page, he seems like he's the sort of guy who personifies EVERYTHING that's wrong with modern news culture. As a newspaper man, he printed VERY obvious fake photos and aimed more for the headline that would get readers than actual... news.

Also the man seems to have a serious hatred for anyone who's a celeb, except himself. Why'd they choose to have him replace Larry King?

Woah guys what's with all the hatred towards Piers Morgan?

I enjoy his show and most of the time he maintains a difficult level of decorum despite interviewing people that can be aggressive and completely intransigent. He also isn't afraid to tackle some of the USA real social issues like Gun Control despite the fact people are almost militant about it and obviously these topics create negative publicity for him from certain sectors, like that absurd petition to get him deported. For me he is someone that is quite prepared to make a stand on topics even though other news reporters stay away from them as there are easier subjects to debate.

@ Calax

He definitely doesn't hate celebs and has many famous people on his show who come willingly for interviews. But I will say he is a liberal and has a few friends in the far right.

Well, in the two interviews posted, he was baiting and firing off barbed questions like nobodies business, and when called on it immediately swapped topics. And he wasn't a good talk show host, letting his guest at least partly lead the conversation, instead he's basically attempting to keep control of the entire conversation and trying to get his guests to just say exactly what he wants them to for the sound bite.

Understand, this is a guy who knew about the phone hacking scandal from recent years, but didn't think that it was any big deal. And he's apparently also known for using paparazzi as weapons in feuds against other public personalities. He got punched by Jeremy Clarkson because Morgan was attempting to drag Clarkson through the mud as an adulterer.

And most of the time, it seems like Piers isn't tackling tough issues because they need to be tackled, but because they'll get him ratings (which isn't working by all accounts).

In terms of the actual news story, the main theme I seem to see running between the two sides is that those arguing that Zimmerman should be in jail are only going off the "He was walking home with skittles and iced tea!" narrative, while those who are saying "Ok, Zimmerman got off" are paying more attention to the fact that Zimmerman was getting physically assaulted.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

"trying to get his guests to just say exactly what he wants them to for the sound bite."

Exactly. Plus, he doesn't like differing opinions at all. if you disagree with him you are a moran (that philosophy is suitable for the net but not real life).

I didn't mind him too much on AGT because him being a douchebag worked since the tops beinga rgued were frivilous anyways. Even when i agree with Morgan I laugh at him.

Besdies, he is a bigot who supports other bigots.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Once again I feel obliged to apologise for Piers Morgan.

I was about to suggest we bury him a nuclear waste facility. But in deference to our era we could also strap him to a wind turbine, in a form of rotary crucifixion.

Reading his wiki page, he seems like he's the sort of guy who personifies EVERYTHING that's wrong with modern news culture. As a newspaper man, he printed VERY obvious fake photos and aimed more for the headline that would get readers than actual... news.

Also the man seems to have a serious hatred for anyone who's a celeb, except himself. Why'd they choose to have him replace Larry King?

Woah guys what's with all the hatred towards Piers Morgan?

I enjoy his show and most of the time he maintains a difficult level of decorum despite interviewing people that can be aggressive and completely intransigent. He also isn't afraid to tackle some of the USA real social issues like Gun Control despite the fact people are almost militant about it and obviously these topics create negative publicity for him from certain sectors, like that absurd petition to get him deported. For me he is someone that is quite prepared to make a stand on topics even though other news reporters stay away from them as there are easier subjects to debate.

@ Calax

He definitely doesn't hate celebs and has many famous people on his show who come willingly for interviews. But I will say he is a liberal and has a few friends in the far right.

Well, in the two interviews posted, he was baiting and firing off barbed questions like nobodies business, and when called on it immediately swapped topics. And he wasn't a good talk show host, letting his guest at least partly lead the conversation, instead he's basically attempting to keep control of the entire conversation and trying to get his guests to just say exactly what he wants them to for the sound bite.

Understand, this is a guy who knew about the phone hacking scandal from recent years, but didn't think that it was any big deal. And he's apparently also known for using paparazzi as weapons in feuds against other public personalities. He got punched by Jeremy Clarkson because Morgan was attempting to drag Clarkson through the mud as an adulterer.

From what I've seen he's effectively the mirror image(Not the opposite, two different concepts) of Blubbering-vagina O'Reilly. And of course BruceVC likes him. Wave the flag of Gun Control and BruceVC immediately becomes your best buddy.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

If I may stretch a point a bit, isn't the Morgan photos thing especially relevant? Our media-scape is super saturated at the moment. The only way big channelscan get attention is using shock stories, and shock faces, and slathering them in sauce.

A young man died, and whatever the circumstances, I think that's quite sad. As I've said, I don't believe it's been proven beyond reasonable doubt that another man should be sent to suffer jail for ten/twenty years. That would be equally sad, in my opinion.

The only thing which makes me actually angry is that we have the inestimable luxury of being participants - through our respective democracies - in our societies and cultures. But we can't exercise that involvement in a meaningful sense because the information we rely on is fed to us as entertainment. And because the way in which the majority of people are raised and work and interact with each other is like dumb animals.

*rant curtailed*

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

That whole thing benefits politicians though- Andy Coulson (for non UKers, an ex editor of the Sun who is I believe currently arrested for phone tapping; the Sun makes Morgan's old rag The Mirror look almost like old style NYT in terms of reticence and quality) being appointed as David Cameron's press secretary is pretty indicative that spin is the absolute aim with any truth being coincidental. By and large it is in the politicians best interests to have people be ill informed, so voting choices are made on things like "who you'd want to have a beer with". There was always tabloid journalism but at least previously there was some quality stuff to balance it out, now even the Beeb/ NYT/ WP/ Times are as interested in telling stories as informing.

On the Martin case, the civil rights case people are talking about now is pretty weak. I don't have much doubt that Zimmerman did profile and followed Martin because he was black*, how he was clothed (rain, irrelevant) and that he was young. But that's just my opinion, you cannot prove that.

*Frankly, I came out as subconsciously racist and quite strongly so, last time I took a test on the matter- probably one of the Harvard Project Implicit ones- and I wouldn't think of myself as such without prompting.

From what I've seen he's effectively the mirror image(Not the opposite, two different concepts) of Blubbering-vagina O'Reilly. And of course BruceVC likes him. Wave the flag of Gun Control and BruceVC immediately becomes your best buddy.

You don't need so many guns in the USA Ravenshrike. Gun Control is much needed. Your government is never going to turn its own army against its own citizens. You need to learn to start to hug people more and hug people with sincerity :yes:

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I was *so* tempted to post a WWF bearhug image...

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Guys the reality is that CNN is one of the most respected and recognised international news channels in the world. Note for all Americans, there is a difference between CNN that you see within the USA and CNN International. The local US version of CNN isn't nearly as good as the International one.

Anyway if Piers Morgan was so unpopular and didn't have a strong fan base he would be dropped. Despite him having a contract I guarantee you his contract is dependent on the ratings of his show. So I stand by what I say that he presents an interesting and newsworthy show that has a strong following :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"The local US version of CNN isn't nearly as good as the International one."

L0L But, wrong.

"Anyway if Piers Morgan was so unpopular and didn't have a strong fan base he would be dropped. Despite him having a contract I guarantee you his contract is dependent on the ratings of his show. So I stand by what I say that he presents an interesting and newsworthy show that has a strong following :)"

Define 'strong ratings' and 'strong following'. Piers is the guy who was ran out of his own country because he was a scumbag. The guy is pro racism so I automatically think he's a piece of crap even if  his ratings were sky high.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

L0L But, wrong.

"Anyway if Piers Morgan was so unpopular and didn't have a strong fan base he would be dropped. Despite him having a contract I guarantee you his contract is dependent on the ratings of his show. So I stand by what I say that he presents an interesting and newsworthy show that has a strong following :)"

Define 'strong ratings' and 'strong following'. Piers is the guy who was ran out of his own country because he was a scumbag. The guy is pro racism so I automatically think he's a piece of crap even if  his ratings were sky high.

"Sigh"

Volo its not hard to spend a little time researching the facts when you make comments. I know you know how to use Google

Piers Morgan wasn't kicked out the UK, he willingly took the job at CNN to replace Larry King and moved to the USA to live there permanently. His "strong ratings" apply to his current show on CNN and not what he did in the UK as obviously he doesn't work in the UK anymore. I sure you understand how ratings work. If a news presenter has an unpopular talk show he will be dropped. The fact that he still has a active and daily talk show tells us people still support him and CNN continues to allow him to represent them.

John Milton 

L0L But, wrong.

"Sigh"

Volo its not hard to spend a little time researching the facts when you make comments. I know you know how to use Google

Piers Morgan wasn't kicked out the UK, he willingly took the job at CNN to replace Larry King and moved to the USA to live there permanently. His "strong ratings" apply to his current show on CNN and not what he did in the UK as obviously he doesn't work in the UK anymore. I sure you understand how ratings work. If a news presenter has an unpopular talk show he will be dropped. The fact that he still has a active and daily talk show tells us people still support him and CNN continues to allow him to represent them.

He's on the edge. His ratings seem to be in significant decline, with him being the lowest rated show in the timeslot in Feb of this year (being beaten by Dr. Drew) and looking at more recent data, he's swaying drunkenly between the 2nd to last and 2nd in his timeslot (with Hannity having a strong first)

L0L But, wrong.

"Sigh"

He's on the edge. His ratings seem to be in significant decline, with him being the lowest rated show in the timeslot in Feb of this year (being beaten by Dr. Drew) and looking at more recent data, he's swaying drunkenly between the 2nd to last and 2nd in his timeslot (with Hannity having a strong first)

Can you provide some links to show his bad ratings?

If that's the case then CNN needs to remove him. I have no issues with that but lets have this discussion around the facts of his popularity and leave out the emotion and personal perspective.

John Milton 

I am surprised to hear he is racist. I wasn't aware he had strong feelings other than a powerful love for his own brilliance.

-Elwood Blues

I am surprised to hear he is racist. I wasn't aware he had strong feelings other than a powerful love for his own brilliance.

I have also never heard he is racist and I have never seen him show racism in any interview. So maybe Volo can produce any credible links that show he is a racist? 

Somehow I doubt these will be forthcoming?

• Like 1

John Milton 

Wait, someone actually likes Piers Morgan ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My only experience with Piers Morgan had him next to Alex Jones, so it's kind of hard to not think "Piers seems to be a pretty stand up guy" next to that....

Valid point but even the Grim Reaper would appear reasonable and considerate next to the rantings and antics of Alex Jones and especially in that interview :w00t:

John Milton 

L0L But, wrong.

"Sigh"

If that's the case then CNN needs to remove him. I have no issues with that but lets have this discussion around the facts of his popularity and leave out the emotion and personal perspective.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/tag/piers-morgan-tonight-ratings/

http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/tv-ratings-piers-morgan-tonight-sinks-to-2013-low-only-87k-viewers-in-key-demo/

L0L But, wrong.

"Sigh"

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/tag/piers-morgan-tonight-ratings/

http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/tv-ratings-piers-morgan-tonight-sinks-to-2013-low-only-87k-viewers-in-key-demo/

Thanks Calax, but bad ratings are a fickle thing and need to be consistent to get someone removed. See the link below that is 3 weeks old and shows an increase of  500% around the number viewers from one of the links you posted.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/friday-ratings-cnns-piers-morgan-beats-msnbcs-rachel-maddow-in-total-viewers/

I'm not sure if I'm reading the other link correctly but on the 15/7 it shows a number of 678 for his 9 pm show  which is higher than other number in the column. I can't see how that is a bad thing?

John Milton 

My first link has the numbers for each monday/friday for the networks. ANd if you look, most days he's losing.

Damn! You guys beat me to it!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell