Kids master algebra in 40ish minutes through game based learning

I found this article interesting

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jordanshapiro/2013/07/01/it-only-takes-about-42-minutes-to-learn-algebra-with-video-games/

I know for a fact that turning something into a video game finds that special way to make it extra engaging for me.  There's a sense of pride and motivation built into my psyche about mastering video games.

How often do you use games to assist teaching, Hurlshot?

• Like 1

Good old educational games, I miss Midnight Rescue.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This is exactly why I'm going to try and develop educational games... I believe we've only seen a fraction of the potential for what we can cram into a kids head this way.

Fortune favors the bald.

I found this article interesting

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jordanshapiro/2013/07/01/it-only-takes-about-42-minutes-to-learn-algebra-with-video-games/

I know for a fact that turning something into a video game finds that special way to make it extra engaging for me.  There's a sense of pride and motivation built into my psyche about mastering video games.

How often do you use games to assist teaching, Hurlshot?

As often as possible :)

I remember playing Oregon Trail in 6th grade at school.

I know my math teachers have a website that they use that uses a lot of flash games.  It keeps track of their scores over time, seems pretty cool.

I remember Oregon Trail too, although it mostly taught me the pioneers hunted a lot.... :p

The article is interesting in that the creator acknowledges that it may just be kids learning the rules, without really fully getting the general problem solving skills, but it's still big on establishing the foundation.

I remember Oregon Trail too, although it mostly taught me the pioneers hunted a lot.... :p

The article is interesting in that the creator acknowledges that it may just be kids learning the rules, without really fully getting the general problem solving skills, but it's still big on establishing the foundation.

That's a big issue with every type of lesson guide or curriculum plan.  Students are always trying to game the system to get results. Getting students to think critically about anything is extremely difficult.  I have students who will memorize entire sections of a textbook rather than engaging in actual learning.  It's the biggest hurdle in education.

Games can be effective because they disguise critical thinking.  But you are still going to have chunks of students that work around it.

If I had a teacher like Hurlshot for Algebra or Calculus in highschool, I probably would have got "A"s and paid attention, instead of getting "b"s on tests and sleeping through everything else.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

If I had a teacher like Hurlshot for Algebra or Calculus in highschool, I probably would have got "A"s and paid attention, instead of getting "b"s on tests and sleeping through everything else.

If you had me as a math teacher, you would be screwed, I'm terrible with numbers :p

I did use Expedition: Conquistadors this year in class, it worked out pretty well.  I've also used Total War clips as unit intros, and I talk about games in my discussions regularly.  Whatever keeps them awake :)

I remember writing an in class essay on Operation Market Garden where much of my information came from the weekend long marathon of Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far the weekend before :p

Thank goodness for the historical recaps between days in that game! :p

I remember writing an in class essay on Operation Market Garden where much of my information came from the weekend long marathon of Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far the weekend before :p

Thank goodness for the historical recaps between days in that game! :p

Hmm, perhaps we could develop a game that replaces craming? The tagline: "**** studying, play this!".

If you had me as a math teacher, you would be screwed, I'm terrible with numbers :p

I did use Expedition: Conquistadors this year in class, it worked out pretty well.  I've also used Total War clips as unit intros, and I talk about games in my discussions regularly.  Whatever keeps them awake :)

I've had some pretty terrible teachers(went to a under-funded Texas school district), so that might be an improvement. I remember my 8th grade Spanish teacher would stop teaching to talk about her hair.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

My mother used to beat me every time I got something wrong, I was a nervous crying mess during exams but damn it I aced them. Can't argue with results.

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Used to use the Civilopedia as a first source in high school Ancient Civ, and I think some people used AoE to demonstrate Thermopylae. Heh, good times. Course you could do something like that now, though not much benefit really.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Age of Empires taught me junior high school history? I was the only kid I knew who already knew who William Wallace was. That is, I think I would have been the only one, but Highlander had just hit theaters then, if I recall correctly? Or maybe not. I played the campaigns for AoE and Aoe2 over and over and over until I knew them pretty much by heart. A shame they aren't entirely historically accurate.

The right mix of education and gameplay is critical. A lot of "education games" are informartion dumps and/or dry. It's a shame Nintendo doesn't do educational games anymore like they did in the 90's, I think a Mario Algebra game (with a focus on quality) could be very successful. Not that Nintendo needs to brainwash little kids into liking Mario at this point, he's more recognizable than any single DIsney character...

Edited by anubite

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

I was the only kid I knew who already knew who William Wallace was. That is, I think I would have been the only one, but Highlander had just hit theaters then

So Connor MacLeod was also William Wallace? And the thing he did when they opened up his stomach was just a practical joke cause he's immortal?

Edited by Bester
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

It taught me that I'd die of dysentery or be swept out of my wagon by a swollen river if I ever traveled west of the Mississippi.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It taught me that I'd die of dysentery or be swept out of my wagon by a swollen river if I ever traveled west of the Mississippi.

Those are all very important lessons to learn.

It beats my dad's method of teaching algebra. He would make his own home made algebra/calculus problems, assign them to me as extra homework and expect them to be done before he came home from work. It wasn't my favorite thing in the world, but I never had to pay attention in math class until I got to college. 

I do think repetition is important. My father used to scoff when he saw me just reading a math book trying to understand it. "You have to practice again and again, then understanding will come." He had me draw things out, recreate functions by hand etc. I think he was right to an extent. I used to have many EUREKA! moments while mindlessly solving problems. 

It would have been more interesting if I had cool dragon art and video game mechanics behind it though.

Honestly, thinking back to my learning different subjects: memorizing and getting your feet wet in that subject is already a huge plus. I remember learning calculus. The first time I learned how derivatives worked, I didn't have a complete understanding of it - I memorized it and was able to mostly apply it. Then when I re-learned the basis for the derivative, it made so much more sense because I had already memorized a portion of it.

Many subjects are this way: you end up having to learn and re-learn things to truly understand and apply them. Memorizing "basic facts" allows your brain to begin to apply that information when you are being "taught" it again.

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Kids have it/will have it so easy now/future. I didn't have any video games to teach me/make math fun. We had...paper flash cards and chalkboards and sometimes even drew figures in the dirt! So boring. ;( If I had had something else, maybe I wouldn't have flunked math all the time ... wait...nah, I still would have had to show up to class. nvm. :-

...seriously tho, I'm all for having as many teaching tools as possible, games or otherwise. The better to have a chance of accommodating multiple learning styles. We don't all learn (the fastest/the easiest) the same way.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts