What you did today

Tale

Did he ever say "Look at the non-rich person!" and then cackle in a upper-class manner ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Did he ever say "Look at the non-rich person!" and then cackle in a upper-class manner ?

I wouldn't say in an upper class manner. More in the manner of a swivel eyed oik. But yes.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I totally crashed in the office today, I couldn't do anything at all because the bloody heat is making me slow and tired like a snail, my blood pressure dropped down to the single digits area. And people wonder why I'm such a nightowl.

Can it be autumn please?

• Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Done with summer job, new monitor, downloading Shadowrun Returns.

I totally crashed in the office today, I couldn't do anything at all because the bloody heat is making me slow and tired like a snail, my blood pressure dropped down to the single digits area. And people wonder why I'm such a nightowl.

Can it be autumn please?

Does it count as an office if it has no AC? I was leery about why an Austrian would have any reason to complain about heat, but I checked, and you have my sympathies. Also my schadenfreude.

Edited by AGX-17

Why I've never been "ambitious" - not having deadlines and lounging about is far too enjoyable.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Does it count as an office if it has no AC?

It counts as a special kind of office, a so called hell office. My demon boss loves to feed on the pain and agony of its thralls.

I was leery about why an Austrian would have any reason to complain about heat, but I checked, and you have my sympathies. Also my schadenfreude.

Austria is a strange country climate-wise. We have freaking cold long winters often reaching temperatures below -20 degrees / -4F and our average summer day reaches temperatures of around 28-30 degree Celsius / 85F, but sometimes it gets especially hot, up to 38 degree Celsius or even 40 (100F).

Only the hardest survive in my country, thats why we Austrians are clearly the master race.

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Was worried that a friend of mine had been hurt in the train derailment in Spain. Tracked her down, and she's fine. Statistically obvious, but still good to know.

Have been firing emails back and forth. You know when it's like you haven't been apart?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I dunno, I've always enjoyed the "seedier" side of life. Joining a playboy's entourage probably wouldn't give me time to enjoy that.

True and it's always cooler being the "boss" rather than being the entourage.. Still, it looks so alluring.

Many many years ago I got taken around by a millionaire's son (school connection). I felt like a pirate's parrot. Not cool.

I went a school where basically everybody else was filthy rich. So apart from the obvious skiing trips in the Alps nobody even asked me if I wanted to join, I was surrounded by people with the ambition of a marshmallow. I can't stand people without drive. And that's been a connection with all my girlfriends (talking longer term here), they've come from surroundings where hard work and academic achievement is either respected or outright expected. In fact, a statistically important amount of them have been daughters of professional officers... :geek:

So yeah. I have little respect for the "jet set".

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I get that, I grew up in a rich but very productive part of the country (where good old protestant false modesty rules). Now I wanna see the other side you know, I guess it's all about diversity. :)

Fortune favors the bald.

I hear you, Nep. But I'm a firm believer that drive without true purpose is mere sound and fury. Too many people I meet work like mules without the faintest apparent interest in WHY they are working like mules.

These people get no satisfaction from life when they are living it. And if they work truly self-destructively then they earn enough money to send their offspring to the kind of places we've been talking about. Where they waste the proceeds on gamboling about, and vainly clutching at meaning by trying to bring better people down to their level.

If this sounds a bit over thought out, I should add that this is the theme of the radio plays Life in London, now on BBC 4Extra.

• Like 2

-Elwood Blues

I hear you, Nep. But I'm a firm believer that drive without true purpose is mere sound and fury. Too many people I meet work like mules without the faintest apparent interest in WHY they are working like mules.

These people get no satisfaction from life when they are living it. And if they work truly self-destructively then they earn enough money to send their offspring to the kind of places we've been talking about. Where they waste the proceeds on gamboling about, and vainly clutching at meaning by trying to bring better people down to their level.

If this sounds a bit over thought out, I should add that this is the theme of the radio plays Life in London, now on BBC 4Extra.

Mmh, there's the ones who don't want anything or anyone to challenge their self-envisioned rise to the top of the universe. Those have given me a lot of trouble after high school, so, yeah. Lazy people are less likely to sabotage you, because of the effort involved - they'll still do it, just more rarely. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Have to remember to keep faking urgency when problems arise at work. General level of apathy is rising steadily :lol: It is funny though when the client doesn't care all that much about their problem, so if they don't care, I don't care as, well, they leave me alone. :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If its Max I feel your pain, if its Maya then you on your own sucka.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Picked my mom up from the airport. She's here until tuesday next week. 

Also had a strange dream where my dad (a geologists) ended up using the exact phrase "Sedimentary my dear boy!"

• Like 4

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Have to remember to keep faking urgency when problems arise at work. General level of apathy is rising steadily :lol: It is funny though when the client doesn't care all that much about their problem, so if they don't care, I don't care as, well, they leave me alone. :lol:

Pro tip: if you have noting else to do, grab some papers and march at full speed to the other end of the building. Ask someone a question like 'have you seen Steve?', frown, then march back. It lends you an air of furious endeavour. Even, I discovered, when you tell people you're only doing it to look busy.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 1

-Elwood Blues

Isn't it problematic if no one at your place of work is named Steve?

I like the method of creating a page of boxes with vague words related to your job functions or job area, putting it on a clipboard and then wandering the place slowly checking the words off after careful observation of those around you.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I like the method of creating a page of boxes with vague words related to your job functions or job area, putting it on a clipboard and then wandering the place slowly checking the words off after careful observation of those around you.

I should imagine it works even better if no-one is called Steve. Then you have a free ticket for looking for him.

I shouldn't go around observing people. No-one likes being spied on, whereas the sight of someone else dashing around working harder than you is always soothing.

-Elwood Blues

I should imagine it works even better if no-one is called Steve. Then you have a free ticket for looking for him.

I shouldn't go around observing people. No-one likes being spied on, whereas the sight of someone else dashing around working harder than you is always soothing.

Unless your name is Steve.

Besides in my position I'm a manager, everyone thinks I'm observing their work anytime I show up clipboard or no (in fact I coincidentally showed up three times at an office over a short period and every day the head of that department had something happen and was running late or having to call out to the point that the individual was convinced it wasn't coincidental that I was showing up!)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Family summer events this weekend. Hopefully the weather is nice.

John Carter was on cable and watching part of it again, I still think the "dog" is the best thing in the film. They should make a children's animated short based only around that "dog" or something.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts