Barbarians in Project Eternity will lose less health than other classes when taking damage

http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/476435386734770798

Chauken
You have said that barbarians have a different formula for converting Stamina damage into Health damage. Will they take more or less health damage?

JESawyer 6h
They take significantly less Health damage. We'll be tweaking the exact ratio as time goes on, but it's a lot less than other classes.

See the comments for more information.

So, combined with their AoE attacks, this means Barbarians are your hardy, high-endurance trash mob hunters.

Edited by Infinitron

It's hard to evaluate this news without knowing more about resting and healing. The first thing I thought of was, if one of your party is on the brink of death, surely you'd need to stop anyway, regardless the higher health of other party members?

• Like 1

Looks like they we be quite good in short encounters, but in longer ones you need to do some thinking how and when you will use them.

With current knowledge I would say that paladins will be excellent companions for the barbarians, with their ability to revive unconscious characters. 

I guess it makes sense. They're hardy and able to travel and fight for long distances and long periods of time without a real, long rest, but in an individual fight they go berserk and wear themselves out faster than the more methodical classes like the fighter.

So if fighting just one strong individual the Barbarian no longer has multiple attacks, just one that is sub par versus superior opponents, why would he not just focus all of those area of effect attacks on the single individual?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

This is AWESOME news! It confirms that Health does not always deplete in the same direct proportion to Stamina. Which means the decision to never have any change to that is out the window. Which means there could be other effects/circumstances under which Health damage differs. 8D!

So if fighting just one strong individual the Barbarian no longer has multiple attacks, just one that is sub par versus superior opponents, why would he not just focus all of those area of effect attacks on the single individual?

For the same reason a Fighter in the Defender mode/stance doesn't just focus all that defense/engagement that he WOULD use on 3 different targets into one single defense/engagement against 1 target, or a person who can juggle 7 balls doesn't just juggle one giant ball.

It's two entirely different aspects of combat. The ability to make attacks that effectively function against multiple combatants at once doesn't translate into the heightened ability to better/more powerfully take on a single opponent.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I'm sorry but that makes no sense. The Barbarian can attack ten people when surrounded, through growing additional appendages or whatever mechanic is used, but these all fall off when faced with an individual?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm sorry but that makes no sense. The Barbarian can attack ten people when surrounded, through growing additional appendages or whatever mechanic is used, but these all fall off when faced with an individual?

Since any martial art technique that targets more than 2 people at a time is a work of fiction, I'm ok with that.

-edit: especially if the AoE techniques come with decreased damage, which would make sense both ways.

Edited by Sacred_Path
  • Like 2

http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/476435386734770798

Chauken
You have said that barbarians have a different formula for converting Stamina damage into Health damage. Will they take more or less health damage?

JESawyer 6h
They take significantly less Health damage. We'll be tweaking the exact ratio as time goes on, but it's a lot less than other classes.

See the comments for more information.

So, combined with their AoE attacks, this means Barbarians are your hardy, high-endurance trash mob hunters.

Sounds about right. Though I hope it's tied to how much damage they do. Just taking less damage is a bit stayed. But taking less damage the more you do, i.e. do damage to fill some sort of meter (call it "rage" meter cause why not?) and the more rage you have the less damage you take.

Edited by Frenetic Pony

Well... I'm already working with a suspension of disbelief, here, since we're dealing with soul powers. But, my thinking was that the ability to effectively (to use a cliche) whirlwind strike in a 360-degree arc around yourself and strike however many opponents are surrounding you does not inherently beget the ability to somehow focus a 360-degree (spatially effective) attack's power/effectiveness into some kind of 20-degree ultra beam.

I don't know quite how to put my finger on it with words... the ability to hit the bulls-eye on 5 different short-range targets in a matter of seconds does not beget the ability to hit the bulls-eye on 1 target at 5 times the range or 5 times as quickly.

Erm... it's not sheer power that allows for the striking of multiple opponents "at once," and therefore there's no abundance of power to compress back down into a single-opponent attack.

*shrug*

I can dig it.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I see the Barbarian passive AoE as more like a cleave attack or splash attack that can hit bunched up targets in a small AoE cone or arc. It probably won't be more than 3-4 targets (if even that) because the game is supposed to have a bit more focus on positioning, so you'll likely have to shuffle the Barbarian around a bit

• Like 1

It's hard to evaluate this news without knowing more about resting and healing. The first thing I thought of was, if one of your party is on the brink of death, surely you'd need to stop anyway, regardless the higher health of other party members?

Exactly.  This just means you can be more ... aggressive with the barbarian and put them in situations that would be dangerous for other characters.  In other words... they can afford to stand in the center of five guys and take hits because they take less wounds but can kill the 5 fast enough to not be overwhelmed.

No, the appendages become tangled and they end up just using their two hands.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Since any martial art technique that targets more than 2 people at a time is a work of fiction, I'm ok with that.

-edit: especially if the AoE techniques come with decreased damage, which would make sense both ways.

What? You have two fists you know. Have you even watched a martial artist deal with thugs? It's called a double punch, lol. And if you do some kind of a turning kick (striking with your shin or top of your foot), you could strike two targets if your foot didn't catch on the first one... There are also obvious grappling techniques (grab two idiots by the heads and smack em' together) that you'd see in any three stooges clip. Granted, real martial techniques that target more than one opponent are rare, difficult, and likely less powerful than a singularly-focused attack... but let's not call them fictious! Also, Jackie Chan, with a ladder? Yeah, I could see him knocking down a few people all at once with something like that.

Edited by anubite
  • Like 1

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

From what I've gleamed Barbarians will:

1) take less damage than other classes

2) have a frenzy ability

3) possibly collapse in combat

4) have minor AoE abilities

Sounds quite a bit like a traditional Barbarian to me, charge in and smash then take a breather. I'm curious, will the number of targets they can attack be dependent on a modal ability? I think that being able to switch from weaker AoE attacks to more powerful single strikes would be a good way to handle them.

Also, will there be an offensive counterpart to the Fighter's Defender stance?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Sounds quite a bit like a traditional Barbarian to me, charge in and smash then take a breather.

Yes and no. Since the Barbarian takes less health damage, he has a higher longevity than other classes. He actually needs to rest LESS.

Edited by Infinitron

Sounds quite a bit like a traditional Barbarian to me, charge in and smash then take a breather.

Yes and no. Since the Barbarian takes less health damage, he has a higher longevity than other classes. He actually needs to rest LESS.

Yes, assuming all classes wear the same amount of armor, which probably will not be the case.

Does anyone else think Dreadnought is a better class name than Barbarian?

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Or perhaps Whirling Dervish due to his multiple attacks. Indeed there's a case for re-naming a few others I believe, a rogue could be re-named as a scout or assassin reflecting their superior knowledge of weapons and armour, the fighter could be known as a soldier or legionnary to explain their meat shield rather than warrior status etcetera. Still there's a lot to be said for keeping the traditional names.

• Like 2

Tea for the teapot!

Does anyone else think Dreadnought is a better class name than Barbarian?

Perhaps if they do subclasses, one of the Barbarian's subclasses could be named that or Jugernaught.

Sawyer said that the Barbarian would be more likely to pass out than other classes. I don't know exactly how it will be implemented, I assume that it would be tied to Frenzy. More info is needed I suppose.

Or perhaps Whirling Dervish due to his multiple attacks. Indeed there's a case for re-naming a few others I believe, a rogue could be re-named as a scout or assassin reflecting their superior knowledge of weapons and armour, the fighter could be known as a soldier or legionnary to explain their meat shield rather than warrior status etcetera. Still there's a lot to be said for keeping the traditional names.

Ideally, the classes should be constructed in a way where both having a weapon master fighter and a meat shield fighter are both viable possibilities. I'm optimistic about OE implementing classes in such a way. Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Passing out is what happens when you run out of stamina, not health. You don't need to rest to refill your stamina.

It has been stated that the Barbarian will be prone to exhaustion. Whether this is due to them taking more stamina damage than health or Frenzy eating up stamina is unknown, but I'm positive there will be some reason for it.

Passing out is what happens when you run out of stamina, not health. You don't need to rest to refill your stamina.

It has been stated that the Barbarian will be prone to exhaustion. Whether this is due to them taking more stamina damage than health or Frenzy eating up stamina is unknown, but I'm positive there will be some reason for it.

Yes, but what I'm saying is, you don't need to rest to refill your stamina. Health-wise, the Barbarian will have more longevity than other classes - he can go longer without resting. So that bit about "taking a breather" isn't entirely true.