The Science of Why We Don't Believe in Science

alanschu

Fair enough.  In that case, however, it's still no different than had the name been shared (i.e. it's not a detriment by hiding the name).

The place where I would (logically infer - i.e. I may be wrong) that there'd be benefits would be for reviews done for newer people in the field.  Or in the event where one person got lambasted for something (justly), but has since made some good findings.

Are there any overt negatives for hiding the name?

There aren't really any negatives, no.

I'd think that the most resistance to the idea would be the implication that the reviewers would have personal bias rather than being objective scientists about the whole thing, and some won't like that implication at all. Personally though when I was marking university essays I always avoided looking at the names on them until the mark was decided because there could be bias- due to expectation more than anything- and I thought that was a fairer way of doing things.

I haven't time to read that now. But I'd politely point out that one reason not to believe in science today is that science yesterday very often turned out to be wrong.

Science yesterday still had a better success rate than religion's 0%. And science is an ongoing process. It doesn't stop. They didn't discover the atom and then quit because they decided that must be the end of the line. Theories rise and fall based on the best evidence available at the time. New evidence arises because people keep searching and theorizing and modeling mathematically.

Newtonian physics was the foundation of putting men on the moon, and that guy lived a lot of yesterdays ago.

Science yesterday eradicated smallpox, created vaccines for countless diseases, created antibiotics, put electricity and semiconducting materials in your house, removed the parasites and faeces from your water supply, etc.

Do you really think if you'd been raised in a world where scientific inquiry didn't exist you'd be drinking clean water and living in enough comfort to complain about science on an electronic video game forum via a worldwide network of computers? The internet you're using was developed by the science of yesterday, after all.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

There aren't really any negatives, no.

I'd think that the most resistance to the idea would be the implication that the reviewers would have personal bias rather than being objective scientists about the whole thing, and some won't like that implication at all. Personally though when I was marking university essays I always avoided looking at the names on them until the mark was decided because there could be bias- due to expectation more than anything- and I thought that was a fairer way of doing things.

Haha, again it's a human element (and I agree).  "Why should it matter if you hide the names?  Are you implying I can't be impartial!? :@:@:@:@"

And I've seen the name expectation occur, although as an anecdote.  I remember a B student submitted an essay for an elective in Grade 8.  She got about a 70.  An A student (the top student in the class actually), literally copied the essay and submitted it the following year, and was given a 90.

That's not to say that the teacher went "Oh look, it's this person.  Well, I should give her a high mark."  I wouldn't at all, however, be surprised that a statement that is more ambiguous could be better interpreted if the marker has an expectation that the student is keen, as opposed to poor.

Here's what happened when already published articles were resubmitted for peer review under unknown names: http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=6577844

Edit: Btw, the only science "we" don't believe in is global warming, which is politicized junk science at best and complete fraud at worst.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Global Warming junk? Suuuuuuuuure.... :getlost:

After all, there is NO WAY we humans can have an impact on the enviroment. There's only 7 billion of us re-shaping the Earth in ways visible from space. That's can't possibly be enough to affect the climate. It's all a lie. Just like pollution and the moon landing.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Er... life in the oceans accounts for more than 95% of the biosphere. So if you're asking if I think that a tiny proportion of a tiny proportion (humans in land life) is going to affect climate ...I think your prima facie case is weak.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I haven't time to read that now. But I'd politely point out that one reason not to believe in science today is that science yesterday very often turned out to be wrong.

Science yesterday still had a better success rate than religion's 0%. And science is an ongoing process. It doesn't stop. They didn't discover the atom and then quit because they decided that must be the end of the line. Theories rise and fall based on the best evidence available at the time. New evidence arises because people keep searching and theorizing and modeling mathematically.

Newtonian physics was the foundation of putting men on the moon, and that guy lived a lot of yesterdays ago.

Science yesterday eradicated smallpox, created vaccines for countless diseases, created antibiotics, put electricity and semiconducting materials in your house, removed the parasites and faeces from your water supply, etc.

Do you really think if you'd been raised in a world where scientific inquiry didn't exist you'd be drinking clean water and living in enough comfort to complain about science on an electronic video game forum via a worldwide network of computers? The internet you're using was developed by the science of yesterday, after all.

Aim on that joke was a bit too high, adjust and fire for effect.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Here's what happened when already published articles were resubmitted for peer review under unknown names: http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=6577844

Edit: Btw, the only science "we" don't believe in is global warming, which is politicized junk science at best and complete fraud at worst.

This is a strong argument for removing submitter names from the peer review.

Interesting, however, that your article would have passed it's own peer review! :biggrin:

I wonder if the fail rate would be the same now, or if papers like that made an impact (it was written in 1982).

Edited by alanschu

Er... life in the oceans accounts for more than 95% of the biosphere. So if you're asking if I think that a tiny proportion of a tiny proportion (humans in land life) is going to affect climate ...I think your prima facie case is weak.

Acid rain and the dust bowl.

Counterpoint?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Here's what happened when already published articles were resubmitted for peer review under unknown names: http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=6577844 My bad. I saw this reported recently, then googled it to post the link, and didn't notice it was from '82, I thought it was recent. Probably would still hold though.

This is a strong argument for removing submitter names from the peer review.

Interesting, however, that your article would have passed it's own peer review! :biggrin:

I wonder if the fail rate would be the same now, or if papers like that made an impact (it was written in 1982).

My bad. I saw this reported recently, assumed it was recent, then googled it to post the link, and didn't notice it was from '82. Probably the same thing would still hold though. Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Counterpoint?

My point was:

a) "Duh hurr, there's lots of us" isn't a scientific argument

b) "Dur hurr... x" isn't a scientific argument. As you just pointed out.

Rationalism IMO isn't much better than faith. In fact it's worse because it wastes all sorts of time sitting around in togas.

Scientific rationalism FTW! W00t!

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Rationalism IMO isn't much better than faith. In fact it's worse because it wastes all sorts of time sitting around in togas.

Toga parties is one of the things I miss from my teenage years =]

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Counterpoint?

My point was:

a) "Duh hurr, there's lots of us" isn't a scientific argument

b) "Dur hurr... x" isn't a scientific argument. As you just pointed out.

Scientific rationalism FTW! W00t!

Way to go with the ad hominem there.

Just to be clear do you or do you not believe that the dust bowl and acid rain are caused by humans? 

Because if your argument is that you don't believe that humans can have a large effect on weather those are two example which disprove it.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

God created the dust bowl and acid rain because he hates teh gheys.

Science is the Devil trying to tempt Man with sinful concepts of facts and logic.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I wasn't aware of fish altering the shape of the earth, creating arificial islands and pumping millions of tons of gas, liquid and all kinds of stuff into the atmosphere daily.

Some thing humans made are visible from ORBIT.

Tell me of a single animal that can claim the same, then we can talk.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

There are so many posts in this thread that prove just how right that article Alan linked in the OP really is!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I don't believe there are

There is another one! :lol:

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The Great Barrier Reef? Tiny animal, but it sure builds a lot of coral reefs ;)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

You're that old ? :p

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You're that old ? :p

Hush! :bat:

I wasn't aware of fish altering the shape of the earth, creating arificial islands and pumping millions of tons of gas, liquid and all kinds of stuff into the atmosphere daily.

LOL. You really don't get it do you. Your point about seeing from any distance, or smelling us, or hearing us is moot. It's not a scientific rational argument. It's only barely rational. We do something 'big' so therefore we can do other 'big' things? It's exactly the same as me pointing at a 'bigger' part of the biosphere and arguing they logically must play a 'bigger' part.

I don't want to be rude, but if you're going to wave a flag for science make some sort of goddamn effort to understand how it works.

-Elwood Blues