The Science of Why We Don't Believe in Science

alanschu

One week and the memes are already up, damn the internet works fast.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Probably my favourite reason not to dismiss people with faith:

Archbishop Desmond Tutu.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-23464694

South Africa's Nobel peace laureate Archbishop Desmond Tutu says he will never worship a "homophobic God" and will rather go to hell.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

This just in, there is a hole in the sun! http://news.yahoo.com/spacecraft-sees-giant-hole-sun-video-153040642.html

When will people learn? This is clearly caused by deforestation, over industrialization, capitalism, and George W Bush. Why can't we see that the only way to save our sun is to give up all of our freedom and technology and go back to feudalism with the left wingers as our nobles?

Now some skeptics (like me) would admit this might be true but it is clearly a natural occurrence. Others might refuse to believe it at all. Most will see it as an opportunity to advance a political agenda and don't give a damn about if it's true or not. Sound familiar?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Probably my favourite reason not to dismiss people with faith:

Archbishop Desmond Tutu.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-23464694

South Africa's Nobel peace laureate Archbishop Desmond Tutu says he will never worship a "homophobic God" and will rather go to hell.

Figures that his last name is Tutu.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Oh, and by the way Bill Gates has just invested in thorium as well: http://www.itheo.org/bill-gates-invests-thorium-capable-reactor-venture

"Gates told the audience that the technology could power the [...] U.S. for 100 years, using just the spent fuel rods already in its possession."

The thorium nuclear energy conference TEAC2 is also apparently due to be hosted by Google, who also closely follow the development of thorium energy.

It feels great that the time for thorium nuclear power is finally due, considering the Cold War tensions which made a great environment for uranium nuclear reactors due to the shared industry and infrastructure with the nuclear weapons industry.

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I may have mentioned before that I rather liked the notion of peak uranium, and us having to burn our nuclear weapons to stay warm (so to speak).

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Egads, the Traveling-Wave Reactor sounds eerily like something I was imagining not so long ago (in a totally non-scientific way).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Egads, the Traveling-Wave Reactor sounds eerily like something I was imagining not so long ago (in a totally non-scientific way).

Wasn't that the one where it's just you surfing in a tube of water, and it generates energy from how awesome you look?

-Elwood Blues

Wasn't that the one where it's just you surfing in a tube of water, and it generates energy from how awesome you look?

It always fell down when trying to adjust for different types of swim trunks.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It always fell down when trying to adjust for different types of swim trunks.

Worst quantum entanglement EVER.

-Elwood Blues