Extra credits on Difficult games vs Punishing games

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/when-difficult-is-fun

For me, in Baldurs gate II, sometimes combat was punishing, not difficult.

I think this Extra Credits Episode is spot on.

• Like 3

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

What is punishing and what is difficult is subjective to each individual. This fact makes most of the argument of the video you link to, fall apart. Imo

What in Baldur's Gate 2 did you find punishing?

What you answer will likely boggle many peoples mind since they disagree with you, and others might agree. If it can be prevented through proper buffing, positioning or scouting with stealth, then people who normally utilize those tools will find things trivial that people who doesn't utilize said tools will find punishing.

I am guessing you post this in the Eternity forum, of all places, because you hope to influence PE to be a game that is not punishing, like 99% of all games out there. If that is your thought for posting this, here, may I ask why this game, too.. should be another in that mountain pile?

• Like 1

I am guessing you post this in the Eternity forum, of all places, because you hope to influence PE to be a game that is not punishing, like 99% of all games out there. If that is your thought for posting this, here, may I ask why this game, too.. should be another in that mountain pile?

Going on a hunch... I'd say you didn't watch the linked video.

Further, yeah, I hope PE is not going to be punishing. Difficult on high difficulty settings yeah, but not punishing.

Going on a hunch... I'd say you didn't watch the linked video.

Further, yeah, I hope PE is not going to be punishing. Difficult on high difficulty settings yeah, but not punishing.

Hard to disagree with a video I didn't watch.

Units spawning behind you might be something you call punishing, a better player will simply adapt to such a thing and have a tanky character in the back, or summons etc. What some find punishing others find trivial, it is subjective.

Can you give an example of punishing combat? I have watched the whole video and it clearly says if the rules are consistent, then the game is not punishing. The IE games had consistent rules, and they always gave you the tools to beat any challenge.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Voila:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHWo-5A46rg

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

What is punishing and what is difficult is subjective to each individual. This fact makes most of the argument of the video you link to, fall apart. Imo

What you answer will likely boggle many peoples mind since they disagree with you, and others might agree. If it can be prevented through proper buffing, positioning or scouting with stealth, then people who normally utilize those tools will find things trivial that people who doesn't utilize said tools will find punishing.

I think the video describes very well the difference between difficult and punishing, the most important distinction being that punishing is when you couldn't know in advance how to deal with the problem you are facing, whereas difficult gives a player all the needed information for them to CHOOSE how to respond. It becomes about skill, and not grind. Combat in Baldurs Gate II was a grind for me. But I think this video stands with or without my personal opinion on BGII.

You're damn right that I hope that P:E will be a game that is not punishing, I want it to be a game that is difficult. One you need skill to overcome, not trial and error. A place where my observation skills can tell me enough to solve the encounter, not just luck in what skills I happened to click worked out for me.

I think P:E can be that, and this would satisfy everyone.

• Like 3

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Can you give an example of punishing combat? I have watched the whole video and it clearly says if the rules are consistent, then the game is not punishing. The IE games had consistent rules, and they always gave you the tools to beat any challenge.

It also says something about telegraphing. There's nothing in the game that gives a hint to a DnD, BG2 newb on how to kill Kangaxx.

I think the video describes very well the difference between difficult and punishing, the most important distinction being that punishing is when you couldn't know in advance how to deal with the problem you are facing, whereas difficult gives a player all the needed information for them to CHOOSE how to respond. It becomes about skill, and not grind. Combat in Baldurs Gate II was a grind for me. But I think this video stands with or without my personal opinion on BGII.

You're damn right that I hope that P:E will be a game that is not punishing, I want it to be a game that is difficult. One you need skill to overcome, not trial and error. A place where my observation skills can tell me enough to solve the encounter, not just luck in what skills I happened to click worked out for me.

I think P:E can be that, and this would satisfy everyone.

It has been a while since I played BG2, but with the exception of a particular demi-lich, I can't think of any moments in the game where I thought that I didn't have information to address the challenge.  If you read spell descriptions, paid attention to caster strategies, and read the manual, BG2 wasn't particularly difficult.  Some of the combats could be a bit grindy in the buff-debuff vein, but that is different from punishing. 

BTW, did you play IWD 2?  Josh Sawyer has stated that is the intended difficulty level for P:E; and in my estimation, it was far more diificult than BG2 (with maybe the exception of Demogorgon using the Ascension Mod in TOB).

Edited by curryinahurry
  • Like 2

I'm probably going to be pissing most people off here with this post but bleh Extra Credits I really don't like them. I find that they either state the obvious while dressing it up as if it was some deep insight or state an opinion as if it were fact while creating strawmen in order to back up their argument. I know people like to use their videos to back up their arguments but to me they prove nothing and actually weaken their stance.

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

If you read spell descriptions, paid attention to caster strategies, and read the manual, BG2 wasn't particularly difficult.

Everyone knows that true gamers don't read manuals, u_u.

8)

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Everyone knows that true gamers don't read manuals, u_u.

8)

We just like to collect them. :biggrin:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Dark souls isn't punishing?  Yeah, they basically screwed their whole argument after mentioning that.

Yea, but it's the right kind of punishing IMHO. It's like riding a bike. Trying to learn to ride a bike can be discouraging, especially if you fall off and hurt yourself, but after you learn how to keep yourself going it's really hard to forget how. The Capra Demon may be nasty and in a crowded environment with two hounds but after learning how to address the situation you're not afraid anymore. I plan on playing PE on Hardcore mode and expect to have the difficulty adjusted appropriately. 

wait what? consistent? when? where? it was all based on dumb luck most of the time, and often the battles were rigged to make them harder.

want some examples?

Sarevok rolled a 5, and had a +4 to his attack = 9 vs AC-9 = hit. now if i remember the rules corectly, to hit an AC-9 you need roll+attack bonus>=19. and i could accept that Sarevok, having the super magic sword, could ignore the dice and hit anyway... why did the same thing occur often with enemies that didnt even had magic weapons?

My character had a +12 to his attack roll, meaning that he could hit anyone with ac up to -4, with a roll of 2. in fights against certain enemies, the dice rolled up to 5 consecutive 1 (critical miss) after every hit.

after a certain level, ALL hp rolls at level up were automaticaly 1

i can keep giving you examples of how the AI cheated on core rules all day if you want

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Throne of Bhaal final battle Amellysan the Black is unaffected by Timestop and can still stun/hold someone wearing the cloak of reversal or whatever.

Sarevok rolled a 5, and had a +4 to his attack = 9 vs AC-9 = hit. now if i remember the rules corectly, to hit an AC-9 you need roll+attack bonus>=19. and i could accept that

Sarevok has a low THAC0. The +4 is external to his THAC0, so his 9 might have been from having a THAC0 of 0; where he only needs a 9 to hit AC-9.

Edited by Sensuki

im pretty sure, that in the combat messages about rolls, the game takes all variables into account, calculates the attack bonus and then adds it to the dice roll. after that it compares it to the AC and decides if it is a hit or miss. at least that's what i saw when i was fighting normal enemies: roll 13+3 vs ac-7=miss, roll 16+1 vs ac-5=hit, roll 4+2 vs ac0=miss

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Well if you consider that sarevok is likely using a +3 weapon+ with other THAC0 increasing items (he's a fighter and thinking he'd gear himself differently then a player would be silly.) so 5+

He that he is proficient as well as most likely being being level 17+ (considering his hp I don't think this is much of a stretch). so 17+

He's in a position of power and wealth so having potions or belts or abilities to push his str to 23+ I don't think is far off either.  so 5+

so his THAC0 being at least -7 or lower even at -8 ac he'd still hit on a 2

im pretty sure, that in the combat messages about rolls, the game takes all variables into account, calculates the attack bonus and then adds it to the dice roll. after that it compares it to the AC and decides if it is a hit or miss. at least that's what i saw when i was fighting normal enemies: roll 13+3 vs ac-7=miss, roll 16+1 vs ac-5=hit, roll 4+2 vs ac0=miss

No your attack bonuses lower your THAC0. The bonuses after the + are from 'other' stuff. Like when you are fatigued you get -1 to attack rolls every hour. In BG2 if you are playing on Normal difficulty or lower you get a luck bonus to dice rolls that makes the game easier.

Edited by Sensuki

It also says something about telegraphing. There's nothing in the game that gives a hint to a DnD, BG2 newb on how to kill Kangaxx.

But by the time you're even able to fight Kangaxx you'd have already played through a significant portion of the game and by definition are no longer a newb.

But by the time you're even able to fight Kangaxx you'd have already played through a significant portion of the game and by definition are no longer a newb.

You are as far as this particular type of enemy is concerned.

i may not heard it right in the video, but i thought artificial difficulty was when the game used underhanded methods to keep the player from winning easily if he was too skilled or his character was too strong.

oh and i just remembered one more thing about BG: you may only have one contingency active... it said when you tried to use the contingency spell while another was active.

yet when i faced random wizard X, i was seeing

RWX: contingency activated: enemy sighted

RWX: stone skin

RWX: globe of invulnerability

RWX: protection from missiles

RWX: contingency activated: 50%HP

RWX: contingency activated: 25%HP

so why did all enemy mages had at least 3 active contingencies, and i could only have 1? this is what i call artificial difficulty 

• Like 1

-Teknoman2-

Artificial Difficulty isn't quite what I wanted to put emphasis on with that video, but the fact that if you play with awareness and using skill+tools provided to you (rules), you can avoid all traps, beat all enemies and all bosses in Demon Dark Souls. You could, in theory, finish Demon Dark Souls without dying once.

The beginning of the video is what I wanted to put emphasis on really, where he plays 2 different "extremes". The one on the left who treads more carefully and soaks his environment in and reflects it (paying attention/having awareness) and thus avoids dangers, whilst the other simply goes gung-ho all in YOLO style and consequentially runs into danger.

Player #1 is being rewarded for playing with awareness and knowledge of the game's rules. "It is my fault, I have to get better"-mentality.
Player #2 is being punished for ignoring the rules. And, in this extreme (yet very common) example, blames the game/developers. "It is your fault, fix it in a patch!"-mentality.

I like Player #1's attitude and I obviously like this form of difficulty. I grow as a person overcoming difficulties like that. I'd actually like to call it the "Parenting Difficulty". You get a firm "No!" if you fail in the form of "You died", and if you succeed you are rewarded with a continuation of the bedtime story.

He also brings up some pretty good points, in my opinion, throughout the entire video. But I think that's more of a mindset as a Player rather than a "difficulty" per say.

EDIT: P.S. I haven't played Dark Souls, I did play a lot of Demon Souls though. Mostly done video watching & reading on Dark Souls (Lore, Mechanics, Articles etc. etc.).

Edited by Osvir