How "grindy" will the game be?

Ah, that's another one. I would save before scribing every single spell, just in case it failed, then I would reload until it succeeded. :biggrin:

Yeah, and what about saving before upping yout character's level? Just in case you got a crappy hit point dice roll XD

Ah, that's another one. I would save before scribing every single spell, just in case it failed, then I would reload until it succeeded. :biggrin:

Yeah, and what about saving before upping yout character's level? Just in case you got a crappy hit point dice roll XD

:lol: Yep, did that too.

As you can see, Im a filthy unrepentant save scumer.

Luckily in BG2 you could activate a specific game mode where you didn't have to do all those things. In that mode there was a 100% chance to scribe every spell, there were no death penalties (no constitution loss, no permadeath chance) and your characters always rolled the highest possible roll for hit points when they leveled.

In BG1 it was hardcore. Perhaps the "easy" mode existed and I wasn't aware of it, but I played the whole game following the "core rules". It was a pain.

Luckily in BG2 you could activate a specific game mode where you didn't have to do all those things. In that mode there was a 100% chance to scribe every spell, there were no death penalties (no constitution loss, no permadeath chance) and your characters always rolled the highest possible roll for hit points when they leveled.

In BG1 it was hardcore. Perhaps the "easy" mode existed and I wasn't aware of it, but I played the whole game following the "core rules". It was a pain.

Are you talking about the BG2 fix pack? Idk, I kind of felt dirty using those options. XD

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Are you talking about the BG2 fix pack? Idk, I kind of felt dirty using those options. XD

No, it was a built in feature, it was in the game since the release. You just needed to move the game difficulty cursor one step left form its default position (which was named "core rules"). The encounters were just as difficult as with the "core rules" setting, but you had those facilitations i listed above.

No, it was a built in feature, it was in the game since the release. You just needed to move the game difficulty cursor one step left form its default position (which was named "core rules"). The encounters were just as difficult as with the "core rules" setting, but you had those facilitations i listed above.

Hmm, never read what normal did always went with the core rules.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Avoiding most combat sounds a little... boring. I'd rather have combat that require unique and creative tactics to solve.

From The Art of War, by Sun Tzu, chapter 3:

"For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

All of them are viable choices and have different advantages and disadvantages.  But only one of them ends up with you in possession of the Thief Guild Leader's gauntlets of stealth that enhance all rogue talents and his short sword +3.

Hmm, Im not so sure about that. If weve learned anything from prior "degenerative gameplay" discussions its that apparently most players are utterly incapable of controlling their actions and will always take the path of least resistance or whatever rewards the best loot, even if it destroys their own enjoyment of the game. If the only way to get those boss gauntlets is to pry them off his cold dead fingers then that's what everyone will do.

the solution is to offer mutually exclusive loot for the different solutions. The combat solution gets loot which helps out in combat, a stealth solution gives you an item which will be helpful in stealth. Not all solutions have to be equally rewarding, but there should never be an obvious "right" answer.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I don't think the game will require much grinding, as the main quest will scale to a lower level.

What I suspect and am not thrilled about is that grinding probably always means a benefit to you (as the main quest scales only in a limited fashion).

Huh...I never saved before using the Lum machine.

You're crazy, man. You're dangerous!

I'm going to ask the Lieutenant for a new partner. I'm only a few weeks from retirement, you know?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I dunno, I didn't reload when I got bad rolls on Wild Magic either (unless it killed me).  Seemed to miss the point of "random event".

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I don't think the game will require much grinding, as the main quest will scale to a lower level.

What I suspect and am not thrilled about is that grinding probably always means a benefit to you (as the main quest scales only in a limited fashion).

But there's no experience gained from combat. Quest completion only.