Prism Program ( Big Brother gone too far?)

BruceVC

All joking aside there is a lot going on in the country that just depresses the hell out of me. Prism, the IRS has become Obama's own secret police targeting political dissenters, DHS is buying armored personnel carriers and weapons and ammo like they are expecting to go to war tomorrow, the IRS is training tax agents in the use of automatic weapons, our phone calls and internet use are being monitored, military members are being ordered not to read certain books, a mayor is Pinellas County is being sued for keeping a bible on her desk, the DHHS refused to allow a pair of 10 year old girls to have a lung transplant to satisfy policy... I could go on.

Waitwhut?

Since when is owning a book a crime?

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

For all who supports PRISM

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

and I am not even US citizen hah

Also go and read Orwell

George, Ben has been drinking again and writing BS.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

well If you think that spiing on me will help with overpopulation you are fool, and its not first time, all great empires of history were ''globalizations' and climate changes were there from beginning of time. And you know what? most of problems were 'fixed' by some horrific war (especialy good way how to deal with overpopulation) all of this have nothing to do with giving up my privacy. We in Europe still have some degreee of democracy so dont apply American fascistic manners on me, thanks. If I have choise 1) never allow me to enter America territory or 2) let us spy on you I would definetly skip trip to US

And for record, I dont have facebook, I dont have twitter, I dont have blog, Internet was developed in Germany as far as I know. And yes I got Google email even I dont want to (company email) and my personal email is not on google. I dont use my real name on any internet page I know of

I'm kind of sad that I share a continent with you.

• Like 1

Why? I can tell same if you are protecting PRISM but I try to not insult people as much as possible and mainly I dont force them my view of world (as opposed what PRISM actually do)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

It's a tiny aside, but you do know that wars don't depopulate. Only disease does that. Wars cause baby booms.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Why can't we watch the government and its agancies the same way they watch us? It would only be fair.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Why can't we watch the government and its agancies the same way they watch us? It would only be fair.

Not to mention kinda sexy.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Ever heard of the Freedom of Information Act?

Which is as effective as calling fisticuffs on a fight with Mike Tyson. 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

index-1.gif

-Elwood Blues

Sarcasm aside, I think you've confused Bentham with Foucault, the designer of the Panopticon and the developer of the panopticism theory.

Also, 1984 is not really relevant because there is no ubiquitous Thought Police. The key difference is that Miniluv could and did monitor everyone, everywhere, at every point of their lives. Our intelligence agencies do not and cannot do that.

Nope, I was thinking of Bentham, the, er, designer of the Panopticon prison- where a single guard could theoretically watch any inmate at any time- centuries before Foucault even lived.

Intelligence agencies don't do that yet, but by deity they'd love to be able to.

Since when is owning a book a crime?

He's being sued presumably over separation of church and state provisions so it won't be owning the book that's the crime. Think of it as being similar to being fined/ ejected from a theatre for using a cellphone, it isn't the phone that's the problem, it's it being in a theatre.

Pretty sure there is an actual prescribed list though, things like the Anarchist's Cookbook*

And yes I got Google email even I dont want to (company email)

Wonder how long your company will keep using google, now that they know for sure that it's a click away from some NSA contractor having a look through everything. Hope nothing commercially sensitive is being sent.

*g'day, NSA operator, hope you enjoyed reading my post

• Like 1

I'm always mildly amused that people who argue words are more powerful than guns don't want more control over words.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

It is confirmed that NSA still have to retrieve data through legal means from those web companies. They don't have total authority over this.

Yeah, and last year the score was 1000+ to zero in terms of approvals to rejections, by that court, and there are zero counter arguments heard, ie the presentations are unopposed. The first part indicates it's a rubber stamp, the second shows it's explicitly designed to be a rubber stamp.

So, do you have a constructive solution? One that doesn't involve blinding and crippling the U.S. intelligence agencies?

As far as we know they have been doing their jobs without spying on US citizens on a massive scale. Its their job to come up with legal ways to find intelligence, if they can't come up with an alternative because they are incapable of it then I've no reason to believe that they are capable of proper handling the entirety of the US internet information. Plus what guarantee there is that info won't find it's way into other hands for purposes that have nothing to do with National Security?

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

As far as we know they have been doing their jobs without spying on US citizens on a massive scale. Its their job to come up with legal ways to find intelligence, if they can't come up with an alternative because they are incapable of it then I've no reason to believe that they are capable of proper handling the entirety of the US internet information. Plus what guarantee there is that info won't find it's way into other hands for purposes that have nothing to do with National Security?

The system is legal, so the point is moot.

The logic "if something ends up where it shouldn't" is bizarre. There is no guarantee that a surgeon won't accidentally sew up a scalpel in your abdomen. There is no guarantee that a policeman won't confuse you for a suspect and detain you. There's no guarantee that you won't get ran over by a car next time you cross the road. See the pattern?

It is confirmed that NSA still have to retrieve data through legal means from those web companies. They don't have total authority over this.

Yeah, and last year the score was 1000+ to zero in terms of approvals to rejections, by that court, and there are zero counter arguments heard, ie the presentations are unopposed. The first part indicates it's a rubber stamp, the second shows it's explicitly designed to be a rubber stamp.

I'd have to agree that this looks weird. A control system that never functions is either running a very naturally regulated engine or it's borked. Do you know what the guidelines are for them rejecting a request?

-Elwood Blues

The logic "if something ends up where it shouldn't" is bizarre. There is no guarantee that a surgeon won't accidentally sew up a scalpel in your abdomen. There is no guarantee that a policeman won't confuse you for a suspect and detain you. There's no guarantee that you won't get ran over by a car next time you cross the road. See the pattern?

But if surgeon or policmen do something wrong he is controlled and will be punished, who control these agencies? + System is maybe legal in US, noone asked me or EU if we are ok with it. I starting to think that you are that type of american who thinks America is tha best and can do whatever you guys want

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

But if surgeon or policmen do something wrong he is controlled and will be punished, who control these agencies? + System is maybe legal in US, noone asked me or EU if we are ok with it. I starting to think that you are that type of american who thinks America is tha best and can do whatever you guys want

Chilloutman you do realize that Prism is probably monitoring what you say about it right now? Don't be surprised if men in coats come knocking at your door later tonight and say " we would like a word with you" :ninja:

• Like 3

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

:lol:  I expect that exact thing will be happening at some point in the near future Bruce! When it happens to me you will all know it. It will make the news. I've always said when they come for me they had best send well armed men with no families to worry about.

You hear that Janet Napolitano, NSA, CIA, and whomever else is reading?

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

If only we all were important enough to warrant the attention of government agencies :p

The government does get in trouble, much like a surgeon or a policeman, when they mess up.  They are in trouble right now.  The NSA is under scrutiny and the IRS is getting lambasted.  The NSA does not want all this media attention, it is the worst thing that can happen to them.  The IRS does not want to get audited.  These things completely undermine their authority.  

I don't trust the government.  I trust the political, media, and social pressure that is put on them when they go too far.

• Like 1

Well, see if the pressure leads to anything other than lip service, first. Guess that is a problem innate to the work the agency does, have to trust your politicians.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Not really Hurlshot. Nothing will change. The media will eventually be told to shut up and they will comply because they are friendly to the current admin. The Briebarts and Drudges won't for all that will matter. Like I've posted before, the fatal flaw in our country is that too many people will accept the most horrifying malfeasance from the government so long it is "their guy" doing it. Nothing will change, already their attitude is "So What?" and they are actively looking to prosecute everyone who blows a whistle about it. 

I think we are in serious trouble.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I don't trust the government.  I trust the political, media, and social pressure that is put on them when they go too far.

This has to be one of the most relevant and insightful comments I have heard around this topic. Well played young grasshopper, well played :yes:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Not really Hurlshot. Nothing will change. The media will eventually be told to shut up and they will comply because they are friendly to the current admin. The Briebarts and Drudges won't for all that will matter. Like I've posted before, the fatal flaw in our country is that too many people will accept the most horrifying malfeasance from the government so long it is "their guy" doing it. Nothing will change, already their attitude is "So What?" and they are actively looking to prosecute everyone who blows a whistle about it. 

I think we are in serious trouble.

GB why don't you come live in South Africa? You can bring Tommy and we don't have the money to afford programs like Prism so you won't have your privacy compromised?

John Milton