Prism Program ( Big Brother gone too far?)

BruceVC

With respect, Zor. Your previous post rather implied Manning's release had been vetted before release. It's why I went back and double checked.

Well, it had- up to the point the papers stopped cooperating, and as much as Snowden's stuff has been. It went to WL first, but as I said, that assured anonymity, something Snowden was not worried about. Handing it to WL is no more a public release than handing it to a politician is, it only becomes public when, er, it becomes public whether it's a politician reading it in parliament (or someone in their office leaking like a sieve) or someone putting it in their paper.

Going back to Snowden, it seems to be the case that he went public because - and I am paraphrasing a quote - Congress was being lied to. I feel this reinforces my point entirely. Why not speak directly to those Congressmen who were being lied to? They'd have eaten up the scandal AND run with the ball.

That is quite the most charmingly naive thing I've seen in a long long time. It's good to see that some people still trust politicians.

But those would be the same senators and congressmen who are slavering about treason and espionage*, running to the top of the pole beating their chests and shouting about how the release damages national security and the like? Going to a congressman would be a good way to cut out the middleman, but not in the successful release sense. He might as well just have gone the whole hog and bought a one way ticket to the Gitmo part of Cuba.

After all "congressman catches dangerous subversive spy" is marvellous PR and does not run the risk of you being labelled a traitor yourself. Sheesh, Manning confided in a hacker (in this case code for "foetid gob of yak sputum") and got dobbed in by him.

The political system simply does not work for this sort of thing, there are too many vested interests and running counter on anything substantive is too risky- and the government is doing its best to make sure that reporters are controlled in that respect as well what with the bugging of AP/ Faux News reporters and the like to catch other 'traitor'.

*ie giving aid and information to the enemy. That that enemy apparently is the US public shows roughly how much hope there was for a successful political release

With respect, Zor. Your previous post rather implied Manning's release had been vetted before release. It's why I went back and double checked.

Well, it had- up to the point the papers stopped cooperating, and as much as Snowden's stuff has been. It went to WL first, but as I said, that assured anonymity, something Snowden was not worried about. Handing it to WL is no more a public release than handing it to a politician is, it only becomes public when, er, it becomes public whether it's a politician reading it in parliament (or someone in their office leaking like a sieve) or someone putting it in their paper.

Going back to Snowden, it seems to be the case that he went public because - and I am paraphrasing a quote - Congress was being lied to. I feel this reinforces my point entirely. Why not speak directly to those Congressmen who were being lied to? They'd have eaten up the scandal AND run with the ball.

That is quite the most charmingly naive thing I've seen in a long long time. It's good to see that some people still trust politicians.

But those would be the same senators and congressmen who are slavering about treason and espionage*, running to the top of the pole beating their chests and shouting about how the release damages national security and the like? Going to a congressman would be a good way to cut out the middleman, but not in the successful release sense. He might as well just have gone the whole hog and bought a one way ticket to the Gitmo part of Cuba.

After all "congressman catches dangerous subversive spy" is marvellous PR and does not run the risk of you being labelled a traitor yourself. Sheesh, Manning confided in a hacker (in this case code for "foetid gob of yak sputum") and got dobbed in by him.

Mmmmm, maybe. You may be right. A congressmen may have just turned him in and basked in the media glory but I doubt it.

On further reflection I think the more likely outcome is that no Congressman would have gone to the media or made this information public. It would have been a death sentence for there career and jail time. The reality is that Prism has helped prevent terrorist attacks and is a useful tool to gain pertinent information about suspected terrorists. Why would any Congressmen want to be become a traitor by exposing this?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Apologies for bullet points, but it's early.

- Giving it to WL is not the same as Congress. Congress is an elected body.

- WL in particular has a well established anti-US agenda. There are alternatives out there with the same utilities.

- Zor's point about Congressmen is interesting, but false.

> I say again, if they were on-side with the NSA why mislead them in the first place?

> I currently think he's a ****er, but if he'd come to me (as a Congressman) I'd have been supportive.

There is a right way and a wrong way to do things. You can't just act willy nilly. It's like running around whipping people's diseased organs out without formal consent.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Wals, congress would be a better place if they had congressmen like you.

I cut Manning some slack because firstly, I doubt anyone is so narcissistic that they would face either a self imposed exile or 10 years in prison just to get 15 minutes of fame. Secondly, because putting myself in his shoes I realize that being in possession of that information is a high tension situation where the rational leads more towards self preservation than the best course of action, aka: he panicked.
Plus Congress is a highly inefficient body whose track record makes me believe that they are more corrupt than the president itself. I don't see why anyone would trust them.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Apologies for bullet points, but it's early.

- Giving it to WL is not the same as Congress. Congress is an elected body.

- WL in particular has a well established anti-US agenda. There are alternatives out there with the same utilities.

> I say again, if they were on-side with the NSA why mislead them in the first place?

> I currently think he's a ****er, but if he'd come to me (as a Congressman) I'd have been supportive.

There is a right way and a wrong way to do things. You can't just act willy nilly. It's like running around whipping people's diseased organs out without formal consent.

I hear you but for me there is no right way about revealing national secrets like the Prism program, there is only wrong. I don't think anyone who works for important institutions like NSA should ever make public what they know unless it is clearly and highly illegal and unethical, something like a covert program of genocide. Especially since we now know that Prism helped prevent Terrorist attacks and now Prisms effectiveness has been compromised?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well, it isn't a certainty, but equally it isn't false. Maybe it could have been handled through 'proper' channels, but I really doubt it. All the elected officials are running around defending everything as being perfectly legal and having impeccable legal oversight and all sorts of stuff like that, not lining up to get upset at how the NSA has run roughshod over rights and limitations; and giving the moral equivalent of the "we had to destroy our freedoms to save our freedoms!" speech.

On the other hand seeing John Kerry squirm when he said that only terrorists were monitored then the interviewer asking whether all the researchers in China targeted were therefore terrorists was outright hilarious.

I am suprised how many people here are on goverment side in this. Well we all have right to have their own opinions - for now.

What bothers me is - Why its so big problem that he goes public with it if its legal to do so (PRISM is legal)? Maybe problem is that government is lying to own people? or that goverment is doing something what noone have right to vote for? How many politicans would go into elections and tell people that their program is to spy on them? None

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I am suprised how many people here are on goverment side in this. Well we all have right to have their own opinions - for now.

What bothers me is - Why its so big problem that he goes public with it if its legal to do so (PRISM is legal)? Maybe problem is that government is lying to own people? or that goverment is doing something what noone have right to vote for? How many politicans would go into elections and tell people that their program is to spy on them? None

The problem - in theory - with going public with what they're doing / how they're doing it is that you're giving information on how to foil what they do to the terrorist organizations who now know better how to avoid detection.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The plot thickens; also why did you edit such a short post? Unless you are not Nepenthe but an NSA operative trying to do damage control, give us back our Nephie! :bat:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Well, at least it doesn't mention Jewish bankers, so there's some points in its favour.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The plot thickens; also why did you edit such a short post? Unless you are not Nepenthe but an NSA operative trying to do damage control, give us back our Nephie! :bat:

That's just proof that I'm the real me, almost all my posts are edited, since I can't psell. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

While Snowden plays cat & mouse with federal government, there's another guy in jail for 105 years for spilling too much beans.

http://www.thenation.com/article/174851/strange-case-barrett-brown%23axzz2X9RMrDLN

While the media and much of the world have been understandably outraged by the revelation of the NSA’s spying programs, Barrett Brown’s work was pointing to a much deeper problem. It isn’t the sort of problem that can be fixed by trying to tweak a few laws or by removing a few prosecutors. The problem is not with bad laws or bad prosecutors. What the case of Barrett Brown has exposed is that we confronting a different problem altogether. It is a systemic problem. It is the failure of the rule of law.

The guy who wrote it dead in a car crash recently.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well, it isn't a certainty, but equally it isn't false. Maybe it could have been handled through 'proper' channels, but I really doubt it. All the elected officials are running around defending everything as being perfectly legal and having impeccable legal oversight and all sorts of stuff like that, not lining up to get upset at how the NSA has run roughshod over rights and limitations; and giving the moral equivalent of the "we had to destroy our freedoms to save our freedoms!" speech.

On the other hand seeing John Kerry squirm when he said that only terrorists were monitored then the interviewer asking whether all the researchers in China targeted were therefore terrorists was outright hilarious.

We're fencing a little here, but I could counter by suggesting that if he hadn't raised the point illegally then it would have been a hell of a lot easier for Congress men to run with the ball.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

EgmFIKm.jpg

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

NYT article on the impact to Ecuador if they try to face down the US.

A very interesting piece on economic power in a crisis.

After reading the article I think it would be disproportionate to damage the thousands of livelihoods at stake by removing favoured trading status. After all, what _operational_ damage has been caused by the leak?

I'm not saying I approve of the leak. But proportionality is an equally important part of good statesmanship. In the circumstances NOT imposing effective sanctions might send just the right signals that the US isn't an ogre.

-Elwood Blues

Ecuador seems cool with it - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/27/ecuador-us-trade-pact-edward-snowden

And a nice jab at the US, because machismo or something.

Also holy **** is reading the comment section on the Guardian painful.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

That's just proof that I'm the real me, almost all my posts are edited, since I can't psell. :p

Nonsense, you recently changed your avatar to a German Shepherd and your article mentioned West Germany. Coincidence?! I think not! 

village_idiot.gif

Nonsense, you recently changed your avatar to a German Shepherd and your article mentioned West Germany. Coincidence?! I think not!

Actually, the dog's a malinois. Supposedly a very particular one called Cairo. ;) Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Actually, the dog's a malinois. Supposedly a very particular one called Cairo. ;)

Proof that the NSA provoked the Arab Spring!

• Like 3

-Elwood Blues

Ecuador seems cool with it - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/27/ecuador-us-trade-pact-edward-snowden

And a nice jab at the US, because machismo or something.

Also holy **** is reading the comment section on the Guardian painful.

You can't expect a corrupt government like Ecuador to do the right thing and  refuse Snowden refugee status but you never know?

John Milton 

John Milton 

Well, ref my above point about Ecuador, it looks like Quinto (the president) left the trade agreement on his own on Tuesday. Thereby pre-empting US action.

I feel sorry for the poor ****ing Ecuadorians. Yet another Latin American leader decides he wants to go full Che, so he can grab a few statues at the expense of people having a normal life.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues