Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues

C2B

Courtesy bump for two hours remaining, it ought to hit the $2m mark okay with under 60k left to get (accounting for in excess of $100k of non-KS site pledges). Didn't think it would initially.

Believe they've decided against adding any late incentive/addon type stuff and will just do an online store thing later instead. Functionally it's the same result since it doesn't really matter when exactly the money comes in.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Ended up at $1.9 million, which is pretty solid.  I'm happy I got in on the first responder level, $25 is about all I'm willing to put up for the project currently. 

I am very pleased with the tiers they reached and I see the game will now have an underworld with its own ecosystem. Thats a cool concept and novel. I like the idea of exploring  underground worlds that have there own identity :dancing:

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Ultima V already had a gigantic underworld with its own ecosystem. I'm guessing this will be an equivalent to that.

If they could make it similar to the Ultima Underworld games.. then I'd be very insterested.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Ultima V already had a gigantic underworld with its own ecosystem. I'm guessing this will be an equivalent to that.

If they could make it similar to the Ultima Underworld games.. then I'd be very insterested.

Interesting  I never played the older Ultima games, I see where they got the idea from

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Nope. So far Mythic was one of the worst companies in terms of game support. Especially spectacular failures with Wrath of heroes and Warhammer Online.

Are you thinking of Jeff Hickman?

I don't think Tracy Hickman has had anything to do with anything Warhammer. EDIT: or Mythic.

Edited by babaganoosh13

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Nope. So far Mythic was one of the worst companies in terms of game support. Especially spectacular failures with Wrath of heroes and Warhammer Online.

What is this in response to?

Only thing I can think of is maybe he was confusing Shroud of the Avatar with Camelot Unchained, the kickstarter project being led by Mark Jacobs, the former head of Mythic and creator of Dark Age of Camelot and Warhammer Online.

More likely the source of confusing is that F2P "casual" game Ultima Forever, which is being developed by EA/Bioware/Debbie Mythic (whatever the hell they're calling themselves today) currently. They currently possess whatever's left of Origin's (the company, not the platform) assets after the closure.

LB had a sly dig at it when talking about his wife in the SotA final stream - the real "Lady British."

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

• 2 months later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6OkfbzqFHEM\

Guys here is an informative video from Richard Garriott that discusses this game and shows gameplay. Its long so you can skip through to 20 minutes if you want live scenes around housing, crafting and some dungeon exploration. I think it has huge potential :)

• Like 1

John Milton 

Guys here is an informative video from Richard Garriott that discusses this game and shows gameplay. Its long so you can skip through to 20 minutes if you want live scenes around housing, crafting and some dungeon exploration. I think it has huge potential :)

Wow, that's a massive improvement over what was shown during the Kickstarter.  

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yeah, they have been making some nice changes and of course this is still early design phase :)

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

But it still looks extremely generic.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Isn't every game generic to a certain degree? Besides I am still confused if this is a MMO or single player or rather what is there intended targeted audience, it appears to be both? In this video they mention MMO so if we are honest when is any MMO not generic, you can only reinvent the wheel so much in that type of game.

John Milton 

Well, Britannia was never exactly the most outlandish, exotic, or unorthodox setting, it was pretty doggone standard.  Add to that the fact that the Ultima series has had a lot of influence on a large number of RPGs.  Shroud of the Avatar is an Ultima game in everything except name.  So basically it's like saying "This Ultima game looks just like a bunch of games modeled after Ultima."

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

• 6 months later...

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/20/shroud-of-the-avatars-raised-over-3-million/#more-185347

Wow so this game is slated for a March 2014 release, that's a mere 2 months away. 2014 really seems to the " Year of the RPG "

:thumbsup:

John Milton 

I originally backed this, because I thought/hoped it would be some sort of spiritual successor to Ultima 7. When I realized it wasn't, I cancelled. I still don't know exactly what it is, to be honest... What I can gather is that it's an MMO(?) that can be played single player, with a focus on buying a house with real money and decorating it. You can also do generic RPG tasks like kill monsters and go into dungeons. Oh, and it has an overland map with "zones" instead of an open world.

Is there a story or a campaign to play through? 

Edited by Noviere

I backed it and I also have no idea what it is.  I even played a build.  

I am just waiting for them to be good and finished.  I'm not into the whole alpha testing stuff.

I watched that 25 minute video and I enjoyed it but I have some minor concerns. I like the player housing aspect but lots in the game seems to be tied to your pledge and how much money you pump into the game. I guess my criticism is " if you have money in RL then you will be fine in this game". This may be an incorrect or simplistic view I have but this is what I am seeing

John Milton