Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues

C2B

Found some more info about the combat system in an RPS article.

To summarize: When you learn a combat skill, it is stored in a sort of digital deck of cards. When entering a combat situation, the deck will be shuffled and you'll be dealt a hand of potential moves; some might be general moves, and some might be specific to your current situation (having a chance at the first strike, for example). I'll have to see how that actually works to understand how well it can work in combat.

Issuing a game that provides both an off-line single-player mode and an online multi-player mode suggests that the development effort will be split between the two. For a player like me who is only interested in the single-player mode, that equates to a reduced effort for the contribution. That, combined with the lack of other interesting elements, means I'll probably just wait for the reviews on the released game.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Yeah, that always bothered me about Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, and Diablo.  They were clearly reducing their efforts on the single player mode to get the multiplayer running.   :facepalm:

Although that shoe might fit for NWN  :w00t:

• Like 1

Issuing a game that provides both an off-line single-player mode and an online multi-player mode suggests that the development effort will be split between the two. For a player like me who is only interested in the single-player mode, that equates to a reduced effort for the contribution. That, combined with the lack of other interesting elements, means I'll probably just wait for the reviews on the released game.

I hate to say this but I am reluctant to pledge to this game yet, I am going to wait till the end of the KS campaign and I'll pledge only if they are short of there objective

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

http://sota.ultimacodex.com/interview-with-richard-garriott/

Guys here is a detailed interview that should address many questions and concerns. I am feeling a little better about the game after reading this.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Two questions I have but haven't received an answer yet:

1) Will all content be available and viable in single AND multiplayer? Will it be viable to be a blacksmith/ fisherman for some time in single player?

2) RG has said in several interviews I've watched (something along the lines of): "In the first week, if you want to learn swordplay, go for it. If you want to learn magic in the second week, you can do that". Does that mean any form of respeccing? Or is he simply talking about a classless system?

The other thing I'm worried about is how silly the technology in the game will be. Looking at some sketches on the website, I'd say pretty silly.

Yeah, that always bothered me about Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, and Diablo.  They were clearly reducing their efforts on the single player mode to get the multiplayer running.   :facepalm:

I know it's pointing out the obvious, but those weren't kickstarter projects. They were specifically budgeted with the single-player/multi-player goals in mind. In contrast, a kickstarter has to work with what they get. Here you have a relatively small budget, split among dueling goals, not all of which will appeal to every player. I guess it depends on how much effort they decide to spend on each.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I have no idea how skills will work in this yet, but in UO you basically just did stuff and your skills grew, but you had to maintain those skills over time to keep them sharp.  At least that is what I remembered of it.  So you could do anything you want, but unused skills would erode over time.  

They might go with something else completely though, so it's just my speculation.

I won't be backing this. I'm only interested in single player games and this feels more like an MMO with the single player offline mode tacked on as an afterthought due to pressure from the community. That tells me they didn't develop the single player offline mode at all and gave no thought to it and concentrated all their resources on the online game. It'll obviously get funded looking at their KS page.

While I originally was confused about whether it was an MMO, they've made it extremely clear that it is not.  It really shares very little in common with MMO's.  It sounds like a much closer comparison would be a persistent world, similar to the ones that we had for NWN.

Even so. It was originally developed as a single player online game that you share with others (eg. limited space for housing?) which looks like a MMO and with DRM. There's also been claims that the game is already funded with private investment of at least 7 million. So even if the KS didn't meet the 1 mil goal, the game would have gone ahead anyway. It all strikes me as odd.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II

Even so. It was originally developed as a single player online game that you share with others (eg. limited space for housing?) which looks like a MMO and with DRM. There's also been claims that the game is already funded with private investment of at least 7 million. So even if the KS didn't meet the 1 mil goal, the game would have gone ahead anyway. It all strikes me as odd.

Don't believe rumors Hiro, they will keep you awake at night in a state of profound angst.

Rather think of this KS as the only confirmed funding of this game

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

John Milton 

Don't believe rumors Hiro, they will keep you awake at night in a state of profound angst.

What rumours would that be? It's been reported in wired quite a few months ago that he has the 7 million for this game already?

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/07/ultima-forever/

"Garriott’s current company Portalarium is also developing a spiritual successor to his past work called Ultimate RPG/New Britannia. The company said this week that it had secured $7 million from investors to support this and other game projects."

So he's already got the money for it. This was obviously planned some time ago to develop the game, to get investors in and then he's put this on KS to get aditional funds and more importantly free advertising. It's not really what KS is about when you have 7 million in the bank from investors for the game and the KS project goal for the game is 1 million.

• Like 1

I posted this over at Torment's comments section:

Ultima Shroud of Avatar, hmm.

While I liked several of the games in the series, I seriously see mostly problems here (coz I adore the Torment project):

-It steals backers and pledge amounts from Torment

-It is a MMO disguised as not being a MMO, while I only liked the SP campaigns of Ultima

-A persistent world with taxes and house prices. A few weeks off the game, what happens then?

-The graphics look like 2006. Why?

All in all, I wish they would have waited instad of getting greedy and jump the KS bandwagon too early.

*End of rant*

Emphasis mine there...

Do you realize how silly that sounds? Or, how it sounds? It sounds a lot like, "Torment should be the only Kickstarter allowed right now so that no one can steal from them." No, really, that's exactly what came to mind. People are grown ups, well mostly, and have the right to do as they choose with their disposable income. It's not exactly like the publishers are giving us much to throw money at, with debacles like the Sim City launch. I backed Torment and two other projects this week. And, I am now considering this one as well. The only one I held back on for a maximum pledge was Torment due to the lack of options in the 150-300 range.

What will I get for tossing a few sawbucks around? Hopefully a decent library of well made computer games between now and 2015. After all, there's not much to look forward to being announced by the Activisions, EAs and UBI softs of the world. And, with what they have decided are acceptable ways to treat their customers, I think I'll pass on their offerings; even if they look half decent. I've started to look at pledges as a pre-order of sorts. Sure, some of these crowdfunding projects might fail. But, losing my pledge is still far less an act of throwing good money after bad than would be buying the exciting new standards of mediocrity being sold off of store shelves presently.

Edited by Luridis

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

What rumours would that be? It's been reported in wired quite a few months ago that he has the 7 million for this game already?

"Garriott’s current company Portalarium is also developing a spiritual successor to his past work called Ultimate RPG/New Britannia. The company said this week that it had secured $7 million from investors to support this and other game projects."

So he's already got the money for it. This was obviously planned some time ago to develop the game, to get investors in and then he's put this on KS to get aditional funds and more importantly free advertising. It's not really what KS is about when you have 7 million in the bank from investors for the game and the KS project goal for the game is 1 million.

Okay thats a good find, and I agree. Portalarium has indeed raised $7 million dollars. I am not sure why he needs the KS, it is probably because additional funding is required. A pity no one has asked him in the various interviews?

John Milton 

Do you realize how silly that sounds? Or, how it sounds? It sounds a lot like, "Torment should be the only Kickstarter allowed right now so that no one can steal from them." No, really, that's exactly what came to mind. People are grown ups, well mostly, and have the right to do as they choose with their disposable income. It's not exactly like the publishers are giving us much to throw money at, with debacles like the Sim City launch. I backed Torment and two other projects this week. And, I am now considering this one as well. The only one I held back on for a maximum pledge was Torment due to the lack of options in the 150-300 range.

What will I get for tossing a few sawbucks around? Hopefully a decent library of well made computer games between now and 2015. After all, there's not much to look forward to being announced by the Activisions, EAs and UBI softs of the world. And, with what they have decided are acceptable ways to treat their customers, I think I'll pass on their offerings; even if they look half decent. I've started to look at pledges as a pre-order of sorts. Sure, some of these crowdfunding projects might fail. But, losing my pledge is still far less an act of throwing good money after bad than would be buying the exciting new standards of mediocrity being sold off of store shelves presently.

Luridis, it was all written in good fun on my behalf, and your second paragraph here, I wholeheartedly agree with on this. As the rest of the list shows I'm annoyed that it is even considered for being a KS project. Like others have pointed out, it was already funded - it's just advertising. Also, I was, despite my age, perhaps a bit childish in feeling it stole the limelight and potential upped pledges from Torment, which I believe in a lot (too lot?). Basically, it was a statement based on emotioon rather than fact. I do get carried away sometimes, and this was one of those cases. :)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Luridis, it was all written in good fun on my behalf, and your second paragraph here, I wholeheartedly agree with on this. As the rest of the list shows I'm annoyed that it is even considered for being a KS project. Like others have pointed out, it was already funded - it's just advertising. Also, I was, despite my age, perhaps a bit childish in feeling it stole the limelight and potential upped pledges from Torment, which I believe in a lot (too lot?). Basically, it was a statement based on emotioon rather than fact. I do get carried away sometimes, and this was one of those cases. :)

Nah you comments were perfectly acceptable and understandable . We are never too old or mature to make comments based on emotion, this is what makes us human :)

• Like 1

John Milton 

Well, that's a bummer. While it was clear that something like this would happen at some point, I don't know why it had to be Garriott to corrupt the KS model. Forsaken virtues alright
  • Like 2

Well, that's a bummer. While it was clear that something like this would happen at some point, I don't know why it had to be Garriott to corrupt the KS model. Forsaken virtues alright

I did not know that he already has 7M for the damned project.

This is going to make me re-think my pre-existing low tier pledge as there is nothing to feel guilty about!

If anything, Mr. Rocking the Rat's tail should be a little ashamed that unlike his friend Chris Roberts, he didn't cough up this info as part of the KS campaign.

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg