RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS!

LadyCrimson

I doubt Sony would follow suit. They would crush Microsoft if Microsoft goes through with it and they don't.

People keep saying this but a used game sale gives as much money to the publisher as an illegally copied game, and look at the lengths publishers were willing to go to try and stop that. Sony have already said they'll let publishers implement their own systems, and if they didn't then the PS4 would look like the Wii and Wii U, devoid of 3rd party games. Sony and Microsoft lose money on console hardware, they're not going to care that people who don't buy their games aren't going to buy their consoles. There's ways of letting people use their copies over a friend's house and all the other objections I've heard while still killing used games. It wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft make the disc locking "feature" optional for publishers and users, but with incentives like free DLC and anti-theft.

Are the people who buy new games going to be upset and boycott the next Xbox? I don't think so. How about the many PC gamers who also own consoles? I doubt it. If it's true that they'll lose sales over this they'll have seen this in advance, and will plan to offset the losses by competing on service or price. Think of the money being made by retail on used games, even if Microsoft were to get 30% of that market, that'll be more revenue than they'd ever likely lose from this move. PC gaming is not suffering because you can't sell used games. PS3 games are not suffering because you have to pay for an "online pass" which is pretty similar concept to disc locking.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

Okay I subscribed to see what all the hullabaloo is about :) 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Creators of the Game of Throne RPG and Of Orcs and Men are at it again - Announce Bound By Fire

Honestly not sure what to think of it. At least the Light/Dark Side mechanic has a somewhat more interesting story than usual.

Spiders weren't the ones responsible for the Game of Thrones RPG, that was entirely Cyanide.

As long as Cyanide take care of the writing, I'm interested.

Edited by Drudanae

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Creators of the Game of Throne RPG and Of Orcs and Men are at it again - Announce Bound By Fire

Honestly not sure what to think of it. At least the Light/Dark Side mechanic has a somewhat more interesting story than usual.

Spiders weren't the ones responsible for the Game of Thrones RPG, that was entirely Cyanide.

As long as Cyanide take care of the writing, I'm interested.

Cyanide isn't involved in the project. This is Spiders' gig. Press release says as much.

You're right, I read a bad source trying to introduce it. They got the two confused since Cyanide was involved with both, but Spiders was only working on Of Orcs and Men.

So hopefully without Cyandie involved, Bound by Flame (I got the name wrong, dammit!) could be even better.

So, remember that mobile gaming company that tried to raise money on IndieGoGo to buy the rights to Homeworld? They just launched a Kickstarter for the same purpose.

The IndeiGoG campaign brought in $13k, and that's already theirs. With the announcement of the actual auction dates, they likely felt now was a good time... but they're dip****s if they're really planning this. Kickstarter funds can take quite a while to actually reach a company if the campaign succeeds. The auction will be a done deal by then, and I don't know if the auction house would accept the delay. The fact that Homeworld is a single lot says a lot about what they expect it to bring in, and I don't think they're leaning towards $50k after fees...

Though they do bring up the good point that it would be very easy for the winner to put the games on GOG or another distribution system. They'd probably recoup at least part of their losses.

A classic example of the evil of publishers at work, hating the community at large.

Fans: I want X!

*publisher funds X*

Fans: How dare you remake X!

*publisher cries in fetal position*

---

I think part of this stems from the Fleeting Demographic Rule: The publisher figures the franchise has laid fallow long enough that it may produce a strong crop with a new audience.

Edited by TSBasilisk
  • Like 1

A classic example of the evil of publishers at work, hating the community at large.

*publisher funds X*

Fans: How dare you remake X!

*publisher cries in fetal position*

That's such bull****.

*Publisher funds Y, names it X*

Fans: X wasn't a third person cover shooter with QTE, why does Y have the same name as X?

Publisher: Muhahahahahaha.

So many publishers and developers ****ting on franchises they couldn't even attempt to create themselves.

• Like 1

There are insufficient asterisks in existence throughout the multiverse to adequately convey my thoughts on this 'Thief' reboot. If there were a checklist for the 12 Signs of Impending Decline they've managed to check just about every one.

• Like 1

Actually the new TMNT cartoon that is on is to blame, they are using some ugly CGI.  They work better as actual cartoons, or even the rubber costumes form the movies!

The new ones in that article seem to have more human features ... noticeable bridged and tipped nose and chinned mouth, vs. something that reminds me a bit more of a snake/croc shaped profile, if that makes sense. It makes them look ... strange.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If you cut out the shell parts and just had the face I wouldn't even think that was meant to be a ninja turtle. I didn't bother with TMNT since the original cartoon, my childhood nostalgia for it remains intact, it shall not be defiled, just like Transformers, unless they bring the 80's with them, I'm not interested.

Actually the new TMNT cartoon that is on is to blame, they are using some ugly CGI. They work better as actual cartoons, or even the rubber costumes form the movies!

They do not look like that in the cartoon! They went for the really cartoony in that one, this looks like they're aiming for 'realism'! You sure those aren't for the new movie? Edited by Sannom

What is too much?

Just a question raised by the Carmageddon developers. Is there a limit to bad taste.

I say bring'em on, lets grind the little buggers into a red paste :w00t:

Looks like it's a line they wont cross though.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Actually the new TMNT cartoon that is on is to blame, they are using some ugly CGI. They work better as actual cartoons, or even the rubber costumes form the movies!

They do not look like that in the cartoon! They went for the really cartoony in that one, this looks like they're aiming for 'realism'! You sure those aren't for the new movie?

This is what I mean:

TMNT_brandsplash_712.jpg

I don't think it looks good, although not as bad as that game one.